Preparing for Geometry/Algebra Test - Parametric Equations

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is sick and has a geometry/algebra test the next day on lines with parametric equations. They are looking for additional resources to help them understand the concept better as the textbook is difficult to understand. One person explains that parametric equations are actually the easy part and provides an example of a vector equation in parametric form. They also mention shifting coordinates and provide the parametric equation for a line in terms of a fixed point and distance.
decibel
i have a geometry/algebra test tommorow and i have been sick for the whole unit, and my darn teacher is making me do it tommrow, even though i have no idea wuts going on...its on lines with parametric equations...if anyone has anything (tutorials, sites,etc.) anything that will help me understand it further, since the textbook is very hard to understand from...

thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
parametric equations is the easy part of what ur learning.
a vector equation in the form (x,y,z)=(a,b,c)+t(A,B,C)
has parametric equation x=a+tA, y=b+tB, z=c+tC,
thats it, but i m pretty sure that this won't help u get good marks in ur test if u don't know n e thing else besides this.

I probably think u want answer in parametric form
as shown in diagram

[tex] x= r \cos\theta \\ y = r\sin\theta [/tex]

by shifting the coordinate to [tex] x=x_1 and y= y_1 [/tex]
we get

The parametric equation is

[tex] \frac{x-x_1}{\cos\theta} = \frac{y-y_1}{\sin\theta} = r[/tex]

Here x1, y1 is a fixed point on line and y,x req for equation
r being the distance between them

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 474

Related to Preparing for Geometry/Algebra Test - Parametric Equations

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express a group of quantities (usually coordinates) as functions of one or more independent variables, known as parameters. In geometry and algebra, parametric equations are often used to describe curves and surfaces.

2. How do I prepare for a geometry/algebra test on parametric equations?

To prepare for a test on parametric equations, it is important to review the concepts and formulas related to parametric equations, such as how to convert between parametric and Cartesian equations and how to graph parametric equations. Practice with a variety of problems and make sure to understand the steps and reasoning behind each solution.

3. What is the difference between parametric and Cartesian equations?

Parametric equations use parameters to represent quantities, while Cartesian equations use variables. This means that parametric equations are often more versatile and can describe a wider range of curves and surfaces than Cartesian equations.

4. How can I graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, first choose a range of values for the parameter(s) and plug them into the equations to find corresponding points. Then, plot these points on a coordinate plane. If necessary, use a calculator or online graphing tool to plot a larger number of points and connect them to create a smooth curve or surface.

5. Are there any real-life applications of parametric equations?

Yes, parametric equations have many applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are often used to model and analyze the motion of objects, such as projectiles or objects in orbit, and to create animated graphics in video games and movies.