Potassium Iodide as a catalyst for Hydrogen Peroxide

tongangeline_657
Hey, I am having trouble understanding the type of reaction that occurs between potassium iodide, and hydrogen peroxide. A website I looked at said that potassium iodide was a catalyst for Hydrogen peroxide, but potassium iodide doesn't work in the same way that a catalyst described by a textbook does, as it gets 'used up' and becomes Iodide, hence it is more like a redox reaction. Could someone please help explain? I am really curious!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
tongangeline_657 said:
Hey, I am having trouble understanding the type of reaction that occurs between potassium iodide, and hydrogen peroxide. A website I looked at said that potassium iodide was a catalyst for Hydrogen peroxide, but potassium iodide doesn't work in the same way that a catalyst described by a textbook does, as it gets 'used up' and becomes Iodide, hence it is more like a redox reaction. Could someone please help explain? I am really curious!
Answering your three two questions in order: inadequate reference; yes, you've understood correctly.

Depends on the pH. In acidic solution, iodide is oxidised to iodine:
2I- + H2O2 + 2H+ → I2 + 2H2O
In alkaline solution, the same oxidation occurs, but I2 can also oxidise H2O2 to oxygen:
2I- + H2O2 → I2 + 2OH-
I2 + H2O2 + 2OH- → 2I- + O2 + 2H2O
Overall 2H2O2 → O2 + 2H2O