How Do I Calculate the Molarity of Potassium Iodate in a Redox Titration?

In summary, Nicholas struggled with understanding the half-reactions in titration and got help from his teacher. He was eventually able to solve the problem.
egg
totally stuck!

hey guys and girls, I'm having some serious problems with this redox reaction titration thing i just did!
Basically i titrated a sodium thiosulphate solution with potasium iodate(v), sulphuric acid, potassium iodide and some starch.
I've worked out the molarity of my sodium thiosulphate solution is 1.54 but i have no idea how to get the molarity of the potassium iodate(v)!

we've been given these equations:
IO3- + 6H+ + 5I- = 3I2 + 3H2O
I2 + 2S2O3 2- = 2I- + S4O6 2-
(sorry about the equals instead of arrows and the lack of super/subscript!)
but I have no idea what to do with them!
my teachers seem to have missed something vital when explaining all this to us and i really need some help!
thanks in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
egg said:
we've been given these equations:

Look for charges on both sides of equations - they are different, so thera electrons missing. Add them to balance charges on both sides of the equations, then balance both half reactions together and you will know what your reaction during titration was.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

You have to figure out the number of IO3(-)/S2O3(2-)

Let me help you out here:

For every IO3(-) 3 I2 are made and the relationship between them are

1/3 Okay.

In the equation number 2, you have 1 I2 to 2 S2O3(2-). This relationship is

1/2. So the relationship between IO3(-)/S203(2-) is 1/5.

If you have the mol of IO3 then you can find the mol of S2O3

thanks for the help guys, i got some more help from my teacher the other day and kind of got it sussed! although i am now a little confused about the ratios.
I've worked out that the ratio of IO3:S2O3 is 1:6 not 1:5! are you certain of this nicholas as it will make a big difference to my result!
surely if the IO3:I2 is 1:3 and the I2:S2O3 is 1:2 then IO3:S2O3 is 1:6?
anyone else clarify this??

Borek said:
Look for charges on both sides of equations - they are different, so thera electrons missing. Add them to balance charges on both sides of the equations, then balance both half reactions together and you will know what your reaction during titration was.

Borek
--
http://www.chembuddy.com
These are not half-reactions. They are both completely balanced reactions, and all the electrons have been taken care of.

egg, you are correct. 1 mole of iodate is consumed along with 6 moles of thio.

Gokul43201 said:
These are not half-reactions. They are both completely balanced reactions, and all the electrons have been taken care of.

Seems I should spend more time relaxing :(

woo hoo i got something right!

borek i think it was the way i wrote the reactions out that made you think they were unbalanced! Next time i'll do a better job!

Thanks for all your help guys, now i can start worrying about all the essays I've just been set! (anyone fancy doing those for me! ha ha ha!)

Related to How Do I Calculate the Molarity of Potassium Iodate in a Redox Titration?

1. What is a redox reaction titration?

A redox reaction titration is a type of chemical analysis in which the concentration of a substance is determined by measuring the amount of a substance that reacts with it. In redox reactions, the transfer of electrons between reactants is used to determine the concentration of one of the substances.

2. How do I set up a redox reaction titration?

To set up a redox reaction titration, you will need a burette, a conical flask, and the substances involved in the reaction. The substance being titrated (the analyte) is placed in the conical flask, and a known volume of a standard solution (the titrant) is added from the burette until the reaction is complete. The volume of titrant used is then used to calculate the concentration of the analyte.

3. What is the purpose of a redox reaction titration?

The purpose of a redox reaction titration is to accurately determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. This information can be used in various applications, such as determining the purity of a substance or monitoring the progress of a chemical reaction.

4. How do I know when the titration is complete?

In redox reaction titrations, the titration is complete when the endpoint is reached. This is the point at which the reaction has completely consumed the analyte, and the color of the solution changes due to the addition of an indicator. The endpoint can also be determined using a potentiometer, which measures the change in electrical potential as the reaction progresses.

5. What are some common sources of error in redox reaction titrations?

Some common sources of error in redox reaction titrations include inaccurate measurement of volumes, improper calibration of equipment, and errors in calculation. Additionally, if the reaction is not allowed to reach the endpoint, the results may be inaccurate. It's important to carefully follow the procedure and take multiple readings to minimize these sources of error.