Post Physics Homework for Checking

In summary: The time it takes for a dropped object to fall 1.3 m., starting from rest, is given by d= 1/2 gt^2= 1.3 m. t= 1.3/4.9= 0.265 seconds. In that time, the ball will also have rolled 4 m/s(0.265 s)= 1.06 m. That is, the ball will reach the can 1.06 m horizontally from the edge of the table.In summary, the conversation includes discussions about various physics problems, such as calculating resultant speed and finding the time and distance traveled by a projectile. The conversation also touches on the concept of gravity and its effects on horizontal and
Imparcticle
I was wondering if I could post some problems from my physics homework that I did so that it can be checked by you guys. So is it okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
sure, go ahead

here's one I'm not sure about. More specifically, part B.

2.) A canoe is paddled at 4 km/h directly across a river that flows at 3 km/h, as shown in the figure. (a) What is the resultant speed of the canoe? (b) How fast and in what direction can the canoe be paddled to reach a destination directly across the river?

(a) resultant^2 = (magnitude of horizontal vector)^2 + (magnitiude of verical vector)^2

resultant^2= (3 km/h)^2 + (4 km/h)^2

resultant= 9 km/h + 16 km/h

25=25

(25)^1/2= 5 the resultant is 5 km/h

(b) The canoe needs to be paddled perpendicular to the vertical component and will neccessarily be doing so at 5 km/h as shown in (a).

Yeah, a is correct

For b, you need to have a velocity that goes exactly against the current of 3m/s

So, you break it up into...
4^2=3^2+v^2
v is the vertical velocity you are traveling at to get across the stream

thanks. for this one, I know I'm wrong:

5.) Students in a lab measure the speed of a steel ball launched horizontally from a table top to be 4.0 m/s. If the table top is 1.5m above the floor, where should they place a 20 cm tin coffee can to catch the ball when it lands?

given: s= 4.0m/s, d= 1.5

formulas: resultant^2 = (magnitude of horizontal vector)^2 + (magnitiude of verical vector)^2

(4.0m/s) ^2= x^2 + 1.5^2

16m^2/s^2=x^2 + 2.3m^2

16m^2/s^2-2.3m^2=x^2

13.7 m^2= x^2

3m=x

thanks.

Find time it took for the ball to drop:

d=.5at^2
1.5m=.5(9.8m/s^2)t^2
t= ...?

Then find how far it would travel after that many seconds
d=vt
v=4m/s(t)

since it is launched from the table, it will be a projectile

you know the horizontal velocity v1, what is tha cceleration HORIZONTALLY, thus you can figure out the final velocity and thereby find the horizontal ditance it travels horizontally.

When they say the tin can is 20cm what do they mean 20cm? Do you know or are you suppposed to guess??

In any case the tin can should be placed +/- 10cm (if the diameter is 20cm) fro mthe point where tha ball will fall so the ball can fall to the middle of the can.

UrbanXrisis said:
Find time it took for the ball to drop:

d=.5at^2
1.5m=.5(9.8m/s^2)t^2
t= ...?

Then find how far it would travel after that many seconds
d=vt
v=4m/s(t)

if t=.5 s, then d=2m.

I don't understand how the vertical drop velocity has anything to do with the magnitude of the horizontal component.

stunner5000pt said:
since it is launched from the table, it will be a projectile

you know the horizontal velocity v1, what is tha cceleration HORIZONTALLY, thus you can figure out the final velocity and thereby find the horizontal ditance it travels horizontally.

When they say the tin can is 20cm what do they mean 20cm? Do you know or are you suppposed to guess??

In any case the tin can should be placed +/- 10cm (if the diameter is 20cm) fro mthe point where tha ball will fall so the ball can fall to the middle of the can.

Where in the can the ball lands is irrelavant to the question. I think they just added the 20cm part for the sake of challenging the student.

The vertical velocity has NOTHING to do with the x velocity. However, they are in the air for the same amount of time. So you find the time it took for the ball to drop, you have the time for the ball to travel in the x direction. Hence, d=vt

Ah! This reminds me of an example in our textbook:
If you drop a bullet and at the same time shoot a bullet (with a gun), which one of the two bullets will land on the ground first, given that the ground is exactly parallel to the initial starting point of the motion of the bullets?
Both will reach the ground at the same time.

I really don't understand why. Isn't one ball traveling on a curved path while the other on a path vertical to the ground? Wouldn't that make the ball being shot then take a longer time to touch the ground?

Gravity attracts everything to the ground at the same acceleration, moving or stationary.

The other ball looks like it is traveling a curved path because it is traveling horizontally and vertically at the same time.

what does it mean for something to go on a curved path then? Isn't it a combination of horizontal and vertical components? I really don't get this.

(I understand g is constant for earth. )

Check http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/vectors/u3l2b.html out.

Last edited by a moderator:
gravity has no effect on horizontal velocity.
Hope this helps clear the confusion.

Imparcticle said:
what does it mean for something to go on a curved path then? Isn't it a combination of horizontal and vertical components? I really don't get this.

(I understand g is constant for earth. )

The result shows that the vertical and horizontal components of motion do not directly affect each other. You can always separate the projectile's motion into two orthogonal sets of equations. Note that while you may need to get the time something happens in the vertical motion to see what happens simultaneously in the horizontal motion, the equations are still independent.

I would interpret the "20 cm. can" as meaning the can is 20 cm. TALL. You need to position the can so the marble is 20 cm.= 0.2 m. above the floor when it gets to the can.

That just means that you can use 1.5- 0.2= 1.3 m as the height instead of 1.5m.

Related to Post Physics Homework for Checking

1. What is the purpose of "Post Physics Homework for Checking"?

The purpose of "Post Physics Homework for Checking" is to provide students with a platform to check their answers and understanding of the concepts covered in their physics homework.

2. How does "Post Physics Homework for Checking" work?

"Post Physics Homework for Checking" works by allowing students to input their answers to physics problems and then comparing them to the correct answers provided. This allows students to identify any mistakes they may have made and understand the correct approach to solving the problem.

3. Can "Post Physics Homework for Checking" be used as a replacement for actually doing the homework?

No, "Post Physics Homework for Checking" is meant to be used as a supplemental tool for checking answers and understanding concepts. It should not be used as a replacement for actually completing the assigned homework.

4. Is "Post Physics Homework for Checking" free to use?

Yes, "Post Physics Homework for Checking" is typically free to use. However, some websites or apps may offer additional features or resources for a fee.

5. Can "Post Physics Homework for Checking" be used for any level of physics?

Yes, "Post Physics Homework for Checking" can be used for any level of physics as long as the specific problem types and concepts are covered by the platform. Some platforms may offer a wider range of topics and levels than others.