Electric Field due to dipole - solution check

In summary, Ivan's solution uses vectors and calculus to find the electric field, while Kuruman's solution uses algebra and vector calculus to find the electric potential.
Ivan Hu

Homework Statement

Hi guys, my exam is in four days and my tutor for the electromagnetic module is neither very active nor very competent, so I would like you guys to check my solution for this question. I am afraid I might have messed up some signs or some linear algebra.
2016q4.png

Homework Equations

All included in the solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

2016q4soln.jpg

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 2016q4.png
    2016q4.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 684
  • 2016q4soln.jpg
    2016q4soln.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ivan Hu and welcome to PF.

You should not double the potential energy ##U=-\vec p\cdot \vec E~## for the following reason: It costs no energy to bring in the first dipole from infinity because there is no electric field to begin with. When you bring in the second dipole, the work that you do to assemble the system is equal to the change in potential energy of the system from the initial value of zero to the final value ##-\vec p\cdot \vec E##.

Thanks you kuruman for your answer. That makes sense. Is that the only mistake that you’ve picked up?

Ivan Hu said:
Thanks you kuruman for your answer. That makes sense. Is that the only mistake that you’ve picked up?
Yes. I did not plug in the numbers. I assume you can double check these on your own.

Likes Ivan Hu
Hi Kuruman,
Thank you for answering Ivan's question!
I'm actually working on the same past paper (Well, a previous one, with identical parameters) and we've produced quite different results that I'd like to verify.
My answer for ## \vec p \cdot \vec r ## was 0, given the two vectors are perpendicular, which produced a bit fat 0 for V, which basically propagated throughout the next few questions.
I can see that Ivan's done some stuff, and it looks like good math to me, but I don't know why my working would be wrong.
X6mRTvD.jpg

Attachments

• X6mRTvD.jpg
    X6mRTvD.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 381
Matthew Strasiotto said:
My answer for →p⋅→rp→⋅r→ \vec p \cdot \vec r was 0
That's because the dot product is not zero. You can see from my working that the r vector has an x and y component (the variables x and y respectively). The p vector has no x component but a y component of 6.2⋅10-31.

Matthew Strasiotto said:
I can see that Ivan's done some stuff, and it looks like good math to me, but I don't know why my working would be wrong.
Please examine Ivan's working carefully. The y-component of the electric field ##\vec E## at the location of the dipole is the negative derivative of the electric potential ##V## with respect to ##y##. Your mistake is that you found the value of ##V## at a specific point, so naturally when you tried to take the derivative to find the electric field, you got zero. No surprise there because the derivative of a constant is always zero. To handle this, first you need to find a general expression for ##V##, then take the derivative to find a general expression for the electric field with ##y## as a variable and finally evaluate that expression at ##y=0##. That was Ivan's approach.

kuruman said:
Please examine Ivan's working carefully. Your mistake is that you found the value of ##V## at a specific point, so naturally when you tried to take the derivative to find the electric field, you got zero. To handle this, first you need to find a general expression for ##V##, then take the derivative to find a general expression for the electric field with ##y## as a variable and finally evaluate that expression at ##y=0##.

Ivans approach makes plenty of sense - I tried to cut corners and got my comeuppance :D
Thank you for your rigorous breakdown - I believe I have it now.

Related to Electric Field due to dipole - solution check

1. What is an electric field due to a dipole?

An electric field due to a dipole is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by a charged particle at any point in space due to the presence of a dipole (two equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance).

2. How is the electric field due to a dipole calculated?

The electric field due to a dipole can be calculated using the formula E = (1/4πε0) * (2p/r3), where E is the electric field, p is the dipole moment, r is the distance from the dipole, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. Can the electric field due to a dipole be negative?

Yes, the electric field due to a dipole can be negative. This occurs when the distance from the dipole is greater than the dipole moment, resulting in a weaker electric field in the opposite direction of the dipole moment.

4. How does the direction of the electric field change as the distance from the dipole increases?

As the distance from the dipole increases, the direction of the electric field changes. At close distances, the electric field is approximately parallel to the dipole moment, but as the distance increases, the electric field becomes more perpendicular to the dipole moment.

5. What is the difference between an electric field due to a dipole and an electric field due to a single point charge?

The main difference between an electric field due to a dipole and an electric field due to a single point charge is the direction of the field. The electric field due to a dipole has a more complex direction, while the electric field due to a single point charge is radial and always points away from the charge.