Pondering My Future: Math or Computer Science?

In summary, the speaker is a 4th year physics student in a European Credit System, finishing their M1 degree. They wish to continue their studies in Subatomic-Particle Physics, but due to a complex reason, they have to take a year off before continuing with their M2 degree and PhD. The speaker was initially planning to do something with this year, possibly studying something related to physics. However, they are now considering studying math or computer science at a university for this one year. They are unsure which to choose, as both fields are important in physics. They have also considered taking time off from school before pursuing their PhD. However, they are concerned that taking a break may negatively impact their application. If they choose to study
ziad1985
I'm a 4th year physics student, I'm in a European Credit System ( Finishing my M1 degree ).
Wishing to continue my studies in Subatomic-Particle Physics, for some complex reason ( will take time to explain ) I have to stop one year before continuing my studies in physics ( to get my M2 degree then my PhD ), so I have one year free for me.
I was planning to do something with this year...
Going to study some stuff concerning this field of physics...
But I was thinking of going to university for this one year to study something other then physics, like math of computer science.
what should I chose ? math or computer science?
I know the importance of each of these 2 in physics, but I can't decide...
or there is something else you advice??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematics would help you immensely in grad school. Computer science has many practical applications in the real world. Either of which would be really good to study... However, most computer science courses are really a self-taught, learn from the book ordeal.

Have you thought about taking some time off of school? Especially since you're planning on going to get a PhD, it may be good to take some time to recollect yourself before going on.

Well this year shouldn't be enough ?
I will not exhaust myself in this year, I'll take minimum courses...
Anyway it could be my crappy french, but from what I understood when applying in France ( yeah going there to continue ) is that it would be a problem for me in my application when they will found out that I have stopped for a period of time ( just general impression ).

One question, if I decided to go with math, which is probably what I'm going to do.
what kind of courses should I take ?

Related to Pondering My Future: Math or Computer Science?

1. What is the difference between math and computer science?

Math is the study of numbers, patterns, and relationships. It involves abstract thinking and problem solving. Computer science, on the other hand, is the study of computers and computational systems. It involves designing and using algorithms and data structures to solve problems and process information.

2. Which field has better career prospects - math or computer science?

Both math and computer science offer excellent career opportunities. In recent years, there has been a high demand for professionals in both fields, with job growth projected to continue in the future. Ultimately, the best career prospects will depend on your interests, skills, and goals.

3. Can you study both math and computer science?

Yes, it is possible to study both math and computer science. Many universities offer joint or double major programs in these fields, allowing students to gain knowledge and skills in both areas. It may also be possible to minor in one field while majoring in the other.

4. Which field requires more advanced education - math or computer science?

Both math and computer science can lead to advanced degrees, such as a Master's or PhD. In general, computer science may require more advanced education, as it is a rapidly evolving field with new technologies and techniques constantly emerging. However, advanced education can also lead to higher-paying and more specialized job opportunities in both fields.

5. Which field is more in demand in today's job market - math or computer science?

Both math and computer science are in high demand in today's job market. With the increasing use of technology in various industries, the demand for professionals with strong math and computer science skills is expected to continue to grow. It is important to research specific job markets and industries to determine which field may have more opportunities in your desired location and career path.