Polynomial Rings Over Fields - Dummit and Foote

Your Name]In summary, the proof of Proposition 16 in Dummit and Foote's Section 9.5 on Polynomial Rings Over Fields II establishes the isomorphism of rings F[x]/(g(x)) \cong F[x]/{f_1{(x)}}^{n_1} \ \times \ F[x]/{f_2{(x)}}^{n_2} \ \times \ ... ... \ \times \ F[x]/{f_k{(x)}}^{n_k} by using the Chinese Remainder Theorem and the fact that the ideals generated by the powers of distinct irreducible factors are comaximal. This is due to the uniqueness of the factorization of the monic polynomial g(x
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Section 9.5 Polynomial Rings Over Fields II.

I am trying to understand the proof of Proposition 16 which reads as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposition 16. Let F be a field. Let g(x) be a nonconstant monic polynomial of F[x] and let

[TEX] g(x) = {f_1{(x)}}^{n_1} {f_2{(x)}}^{n_2}... {f_k{(x)}}^{n_k} [/TEX]

be its factorization into irreducibles, where all the [TEX] f_i(x) [/TEX] are distinct.

Then we have the following isomorphism of rings:

[TEX] F[x]/(g(x)) \cong F[x]/{f_1{(x)}}^{n_1} \ \times \ F[x]/{f_2{(x)}}^{n_2} \ \times \ ... ... \ \times \ F[x]/{f_k{(x)}}^{n_k} [/TEX]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The proof reads as follows:

Proof: This follows from the Chinese Remainder Theorem (Theorem 7.17), since the ideals [TEX] {f_i{(x)}}^{n_i} [/TEX] and [TEX] {f_j{(x)}}^{n_j} [/TEX] are comaximal if [TEX] f_i(x) [/TEX] and[TEX] f_j(x) [/TEX] are distinct (they are relatively prime in the Euclidean Domain F[x], hence the ideal generated by them is F[x]).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question: I can follow the reference to the Chinese Remainder Theorem but I cannot follow the argument that establishes the necessary condition that the [TEX] {f_i{(x)}}^{n_i} [/TEX] and [TEX] {f_j{(x)}}^{n_j} [/TEX] are comaximal.

That is, why are[TEX] {f_i{(x)}}^{n_i} [/TEX] and [TEX]{f_j{(x)}}^{n_j}[/TEX] comaximal - how exactly does it follow from [TEX] f_i(x)[/TEX] and [TEX] f_j(x) [/TEX] being relatively prime in the Euclidean Domain F[x]?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your question about Proposition 16 in Dummit and Foote's Section 9.5 on Polynomial Rings Over Fields II. I am happy to help clarify the argument for you.

To understand why the ideals {f_i(x)}^{n_i} and {f_j(x)}^{n_j} are comaximal, we need to first understand the concept of "relatively prime" in the context of Euclidean domains.

In a Euclidean domain, two elements a and b are said to be relatively prime if their greatest common divisor is 1. In other words, there is no element that divides both a and b except for 1. This is equivalent to saying that a and b have no common factors (except for units) in their factorizations.

Now, returning to the proof of Proposition 16, we are given that the polynomials f_i(x) and f_j(x) are distinct, meaning they are different irreducible factors of g(x). This implies that they have no common factors in their factorizations. Additionally, since g(x) is a monic polynomial, its factorization into irreducibles is unique. This means that the factorization of g(x) into f_i(x)^{n_i} and f_j(x)^{n_j} is also unique.

Therefore, since f_i(x) and f_j(x) have no common factors, their powers f_i(x)^{n_i} and f_j(x)^{n_j} also have no common factors. This implies that the ideals they generate, {f_i(x)}^{n_i} and {f_j(x)}^{n_j}, are also relatively prime. And since they are relatively prime, they are comaximal by definition.

I hope this helps clarify the argument for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Polynomial Rings Over Fields - Dummit and Foote

1. What is a polynomial ring over a field?

A polynomial ring over a field is a mathematical structure that consists of polynomials with coefficients from a field, along with certain operations such as addition, multiplication, and division. It is denoted by F[x], where F is the field and x is an indeterminate (or variable).

2. What is the degree of a polynomial in a polynomial ring over a field?

The degree of a polynomial in a polynomial ring over a field is the highest power of the variable present in the polynomial. For example, the polynomial 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3 has a degree of 3. The degree is an important property of polynomials as it determines the behavior of the polynomial under certain operations.

3. How are polynomials added and multiplied in a polynomial ring over a field?

In a polynomial ring over a field, polynomials are added and multiplied in a similar manner as they are in regular arithmetic. The coefficients of the same degree terms are added or multiplied together, and the resulting polynomial is simplified using the properties of the field. For example, in the polynomial ring F[x], (2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3) + (x^3 + 4x^2 + 6) = 3x^3 + 9x^2 + 9.

4. What is the division algorithm for polynomials in a polynomial ring over a field?

The division algorithm for polynomials in a polynomial ring over a field is similar to long division in arithmetic. Given two polynomials f(x) and g(x), where g(x) is not equal to 0, we can divide f(x) by g(x) to get a quotient q(x) and a remainder r(x) such that f(x) = q(x)g(x) + r(x). The degree of the remainder r(x) is always less than the degree of the divisor g(x).

5. What is a zero of a polynomial in a polynomial ring over a field?

A zero of a polynomial in a polynomial ring over a field is a value of the variable x that makes the polynomial equal to 0. In other words, it is a solution to the polynomial equation. The fundamental theorem of algebra states that every polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex zeros, which can be found by factoring the polynomial into linear factors.