Picking Undergrad - Guidance Needed

In summary, the conversation is about a grade 12 student who is interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics. They are unsure of the best route to take and are considering applying to three schools: Waterloo, Western, and McGill. They are looking for advice on course and program selection, and whether a math or physics major would be more beneficial for graduate studies in theoretical physics. The expert advises that the choice of undergraduate university is not significant, but recommends looking into joint programs and checking online reviews of professors. They also mention that most universities have physics/math combined programs, with Waterloo offering a specialization in mathematical physics.
mattsmart
Hi, I'm a grade 12 student at a Canadian High School, and I am interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics (research/prof). I'm just not sure how to go about it. The problem is that the teachers/faculty at my school are useless, and university websites aren't really informative.

I plan on applying to three schools:

Waterloo
Western
McGill

My grades should be sufficient for any program, but because of that, all the choice is leaving me a little confused. Which program at which of these school would best prepare me for graduate studies in theoretical physics? I also want to acquire some transferable skills, such as programming courses or perhaps extra math courses. Also which route is best to take for someone planning to study theoretical physics in graduate school: a bachelors of math degree with a physics major, or the reverse? I've heard that the math frequently becomes more important than the physics, but I am more mathematically inclined, so I don't know what which route to take. Will grad schools accept either?

Any advice or guidance at all would be deeply appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, they will all be about the same, choice of undergrad university (in Canada) makes very little difference, as much as recruiters want you to think otherwise. Just choose your courses wisely, attend open houses if possible, check out Globe and Mail rankings, and if you are really keen, go to the physics web pages find the profs that will teach your courses and search them on www.ratemyprofessors.com, to get a feeling of how good the teaching is.

Thanks for the reply.

I know that the school itself isn't very significant, but I'm looking for some input on course/ program selection at these schools. They all offer your basics physics program, but I'm under the impression that PhD level physics will be heavily focused on maths. So, would it be a better idea to focus on a math stream with a physics option, or simply take as many physics courses as possible to ground my understanding of the concepts? Many people here seem to say that the math is much more valuable than the physics, because the later physics courses are difficult without the math. Is this true? Will it be a factor if I simply apply to a basic physics program?

If you want to go into theory, it would be useful to do a math/phys joint program, but not necessary. In general physics courses give you all the background math necessary to do well, or make the required math courses mandatory to the degree.

Related to Picking Undergrad - Guidance Needed

What factors should I consider when picking an undergrad program?

There are several factors to consider when choosing an undergrad program. These include your career goals, the reputation and ranking of the program, the curriculum and courses offered, the location and campus environment, and the cost of tuition and financial aid opportunities.

Should I choose a specialized program or a more general one?

This depends on your career goals and interests. If you have a specific career path in mind, a specialized program may be more beneficial as it will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge for that field. However, a more general program may allow you to explore different areas of study and keep your options open.

How important is the reputation of the university?

The reputation of the university can be important, as it can affect job opportunities and graduate school admissions. However, it is not the only factor to consider. It is important to also assess the specific program and opportunities offered at the university.

What should I do if I am unsure about my major?

If you are unsure about your major, it is important to research different programs and speak with academic advisors or career counselors. You can also take courses in different areas to help you determine your interests and strengths.

How can I finance my education?

There are several options for financing your education, including scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs. It is important to research and apply for financial aid opportunities early on to help cover the cost of tuition and other expenses.