Picking a concentration in grad school. .

In summary, the person is a math and physics graduate starting grad school soon. They are interested in the applications of math in physics and have a strong interest in general relativity. However, they are unsure if they can motivate themselves to do PDE-heavy work. They also enjoy abstract algebra but are concerned about its limited physical applications. They are conflicted between pursuing something that is mathematically stimulating but not as applicable to physics, or something that is less interesting but more relevant to physics. They are also considering a career in academia and are interested in the field of mathematical origami.
BHarvs7
Hey all, I'm a math and physics graduate who will be starting math grad school in a little over a month, and, though I know I have time to decide, I'm a bit conflicted about what to concentrate in.

I'm broadly interested in the applications of math in physics. Specifically, I've always had quite a penchant for general relativity, and there are still a number of open mathematical problems in that field. It would seem like a natural fit for me to pursue research in mathematical relativity, but the thing is . . . I'm not sure that I'm all that interested in PDEs/analysis, which is ultimately what the subject boils down to. I realize it's not as if all analysts do is grind out solutions to PDEs; there's a lot of manifold theory and geometric concepts to learn that would interest me. But at the end of the day, I'm just not sure that I can motivate myself to develop solution methods for PDEs, even though I'd be fascinated by the physics they reveal.

Algebra, on the other hand, is something that I actually enjoy doing. Taking abstract algebra as a junior felt new and different to me, and I was refreshed the short, crisp proofs. However, the physical applications of algebra are more limited as I understand, and it really loses points for me because of this. Just as I'm not sure if I could do PDE-heavy stuff, I'm also not sure that I could be a completely pure mathematician. I know that algebraic geometry and representation theory have connections to quantum field/string theory though. This might interest me since I love learning about links between math and physics, but I don't know enough about these topics yet to say for certain.

So, I could do something that I don't find as mathematically stimulating for the sake of the physics in analysis, or I could do something I find very mathematically stimulating without much physical motivation in algebra. What do guys think? Also, do you think career outlooks are radically different for these concentrations? My aim is a career in academia, but I'd prefer something that also gives me a solid fallback elsewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about mathematical origami? There's a lot of work going on there both in physics and in pure math research. Prof Eric Demaine has done some ground breaking theorem proofs in the field.

Related to Picking a concentration in grad school. .

What are some factors to consider when choosing a concentration in grad school?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a concentration in grad school include your academic interests and strengths, the job market and potential career opportunities in the field, the availability of research or internship opportunities, and the availability of funding and resources for your chosen concentration.

Should I choose a concentration that aligns with my undergraduate degree?

While it can be helpful to have a background in the subject area you choose to concentrate in, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs offer prerequisite courses to help students catch up on any necessary knowledge. Ultimately, it is more important to choose a concentration that aligns with your interests and career goals.

How do I know if a concentration is the right fit for me?

Researching the coursework and research opportunities within a particular concentration can give you a better understanding of whether it aligns with your interests and strengths. Additionally, talking to current students or professors in the department can provide valuable insights and help you make an informed decision.

Can I switch concentrations during grad school?

In most cases, it is possible to switch concentrations during grad school. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your timeline, funding, and overall academic plan. It is best to discuss your options with your academic advisor and program director before making a decision.

Is it better to choose a broad or specialized concentration?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. A broad concentration may provide a well-rounded education and open up a variety of job opportunities, while a specialized concentration can make you a more competitive candidate for specific roles. Consider your long-term goals and the job market in your chosen field when making this decision.