Physics Textbook Recommendations (Especially for GRE)

In summary, the speaker is planning on taking the GRE and is looking for recommendations on textbooks for physics. They have already obtained two books and are wondering if there are any others they should consider. The speaker has a background in Electronics and Communications Engineering and their goal is to pursue higher physics. The responder suggests focusing on the subjects needed for the GRE exam and using previous exam questions as a guide. They also provide a link for general guidance on resources for learning physics. The speaker asks for further clarification and the responder explains that they should focus on the physics GRE in addition to the general GRE.
random_soldier
So I plan on giving the GRE this year and I was wondering which textbook(s) would be good for it as well as learning physics in general. I've already obtained a copy of one by Randall D. Knight and another by Halliday and Resnick. Are there any others I should look for?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumQuest said:
What is your background and your goal?

Electronics and Communications Engineering. Desiring to pursue higher physics.

QuantumQuest said:
I think that the books you referred to are good. The most important thing for GRE exam, is to focus on which subjects you need, at what level and previous exam questions, in order to succeed. For general guidance on resources at physics you can take a look at this PF thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-learning-resources.825111/#post-5348321.

Could you elaborate? I thought I would only need to focus on the physics GRE for a physics degree. Along with the general GRE, of course.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean:
QuantumQuest said:
...is to focus on which subjects you need, at what level and previous exam questions, in order to succeed

Related to Physics Textbook Recommendations (Especially for GRE)

1. What are the best physics textbooks for GRE preparation?

The best physics textbooks for GRE preparation are those that cover all the relevant topics and are written in a clear and concise manner. Some popular options include "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David Griffiths, and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili.

2. Are there any textbooks specifically designed for GRE Physics?

Yes, there are some textbooks that are specifically designed for GRE Physics, such as "Cracking the GRE Physics Subject Test" by Princeton Review and "GRE Physics: Test Preparation" by REA. These books not only cover the necessary content, but also provide practice questions and test-taking strategies.

3. Should I stick to one textbook or use multiple for GRE Physics preparation?

It is recommended to use multiple textbooks for GRE Physics preparation. This will help you get a well-rounded understanding of the topics and expose you to different explanations and examples. However, it is important to choose textbooks that are reputable and align with the GRE Physics content.

4. Are there any free online resources for GRE Physics preparation?

Yes, there are many free online resources available for GRE Physics preparation. Some popular options include Khan Academy's Physics courses, MIT Open Courseware, and PhysicsGRE.com. These resources offer video lectures, practice questions, and study guides to help you prepare for the GRE Physics exam.

5. Are there any physics textbooks that are not recommended for GRE preparation?

While there is no specific textbook that is not recommended for GRE preparation, it is important to choose textbooks that are relevant to the GRE Physics content and are well-written. It is also helpful to read reviews and get recommendations from other students or professors. Additionally, try to avoid outdated textbooks as they may not cover all the necessary topics for the exam.