Physics Self-Study: Tips for Upper Classmen

In summary, the speaker, a physics student, plans on studying their textbooks over the summer. Their plan includes completing a total of 440 end-of-chapter problems from their University Physics textbook, as well as 5 problems from each chapter of their upper level physics textbooks. They express concern about their problem-solving skills and seek recommendations for improvement. However, it is suggested that focusing on one area may be more effective in developing problem-solving skills that can be applied to other areas.
CmSmith
I am a physics student going into my 3rd year this fall. Over the summer I want to go through my textbooks and study them. My plan is the following
  • University Physics (Young and Freedman): The first 10 odd end-of-chapter problems from every chapter (440 problems total)
  • Then do the first 5 even or odd (whichever I have solutions to) in every chapter of all of my upper level physics textbooks (Classical Mechanics, Thermo, Modern, Quantum, and E&M). I have 6 books to go through, but intend on getting another E&M and maybe Optics
I have a pretty good feeling this list is unrealistic, but my goal this summer is to get better at solving problems. Concepts I do not have too much difficulty grasping, but when handed a problem I have a very hard time figuring out even the first step. I feel like I struggle too much with problems and I cannot compare to fellow classmates because Chegg has become all the rage. Are there any recommendations for upper classmen to get better at problem solving over the summer? Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I seriously doubt that you will be able to cover all of that in a single summer. I might be more inclined to suggest you focus mostly on one area, at least as a start. Problem solving skill gained in one area should have a significant carry-over to other areas.

Likes CmSmith
Dr.D said:
I seriously doubt that you will be able to cover all of that in a single summer. I might be more inclined to suggest you focus mostly on one area, at least as a start. Problem solving skill gained in one area should have a significant carry-over to other areas.
Thank you for the reply! I asked a friend for an opinion on my idea and he said the same thing, to focus on a specific area (like the classes I'll be taking) and that those problem solving skills will translate over to other problems.

Related to Physics Self-Study: Tips for Upper Classmen

1. What are some effective study strategies for self-studying physics as an upperclassman?

Some effective study strategies for self-studying physics as an upperclassman include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, practicing problems regularly, utilizing online resources and textbooks, and seeking help from peers or professors when needed.

2. How can I stay motivated while self-studying physics?

Staying motivated while self-studying physics can be challenging, but setting achievable goals, rewarding yourself for progress, and finding a study group or accountability partner can help keep you on track. Additionally, reminding yourself of the real-life applications and relevance of physics can also provide motivation.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong math background for self-studying physics?

While a strong math background can certainly be helpful for self-studying physics, it is not always necessary. Many concepts in physics can be understood and applied without advanced math skills. However, having a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry is important for tackling more complex physics problems.

4. How can I effectively manage my time while self-studying physics?

Time management is key when self-studying physics. It is important to create a study schedule and stick to it, prioritizing the most difficult or important topics. Avoid procrastination and take breaks when needed to avoid burnout. Also, try to eliminate distractions and find a quiet study space.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid while self-studying physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid while self-studying physics include trying to memorize formulas without understanding their derivation, neglecting to practice enough problems, and not seeking help when struggling with a concept. It is also important to not get discouraged by mistakes and to learn from them instead.