Physics majors:only two semesters of classical physics?

In summary, a typical physics curriculum has two semesters of classical physics, followed by six semesters of different physics topics.
annoyinggirl
At most schools, physics majors are only required to take two semesters of classical physics (correct me if i am wrong), with the third semester of the same series being an introduction to modern physics. I understand that most physics majors are more interested in modern physics, but classical physics is the physics all around us, built the foundation for modern physics, and its laws undebatable (unlike modern physics, which has room for debate).
Unlike the engineering majors, who take classes in statics, kinetics, thermodynamics, etc, the physics majors learn about all those topics in a nutshell in their two semesters of classical physics. Is this really enough to quench your thirst for knowledge of classical physics, physics majors?

Physics news on Phys.org
annoyinggirl said:
At most schools, physics majors are only required to take two semesters of classical physics (correct me if i am wrong)

I think you are wrong. When I was in school the curriculum was two semesters of introductory physics (classical), one semester of waves, one semester each of classical mechanics, classical E&M and statistical mechanics. I count six semesters.

Like the poster above, I don't know where you are coming up with only two semesters of classical physics. At my school, you typically take 2-3 semesters of mechanics, 2-3 semesters of classical E&M, and 1 semester of classical thermodynamics.

The small college where I work offers a semester of classical mechanics (Marion or something similar), two semesters of E&M (Griffiths), and a semester of thermo + stat mech (Schroeder), in addition to the classical physics contained in the three-semester "freshman sequence."

Graduate schools in the US generally expect incoming students to have taken upper-division classes in classical mechanics, E&M, thermo/stat mech, and QM. Three of these are classical physics. An undergraduate school might not require all physics majors to take all of these courses, to provide some flexibility for students who don't plan to go to grad school in physics. Nevertheless, I'm sure they would strongly recommend that students who plan to go to grad school take them all.

Last edited:
As the others have said, this is not how a typical physics curriculum works.

The introductory physics sequence has a semester of classical mechanics, a semester of electricity and magnetism, and a semester of modern physics, which typically includes waves and oscillations, thermodynamics, relativity, quantum mechanics, nuclear physics and/or several other potential topics. These are just the lower level requirements though. That is typically followed by all of the upper level courses which includes two semesters of classical mechanics, two semesters of electricity and magnetism, a semester of thermodynamics and statistical physics, two semesters of quantum mechanics, a semester of relativity, plus some advanced lab courses and upper level electives.

Related to Physics majors:only two semesters of classical physics?

What is the purpose of only having two semesters of classical physics for physics majors?

The purpose of having only two semesters of classical physics for physics majors is to provide a foundation for understanding the fundamentals of physics. These two semesters cover the basic principles and laws of classical physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

Is two semesters enough to prepare physics majors for advanced courses?

While two semesters may not seem like a lot of time, they are enough to provide a strong foundation for physics majors. These two semesters cover the fundamental concepts and equations that are necessary for understanding more advanced topics in physics. It is also common for physics majors to take additional courses in classical physics to deepen their understanding.

What topics are typically covered in the two semesters of classical physics for physics majors?

The specific topics covered may vary slightly between universities, but typically these two semesters cover mechanics (kinematics, Newton's laws, etc.), thermodynamics (heat, energy, etc.), and electromagnetism (electricity, magnetism, etc.). Some courses may also include topics such as waves and optics.

Do physics majors need to have a strong background in math to succeed in these two semesters?

While a strong background in math is helpful for understanding and applying the concepts in these two semesters of classical physics, it is not required. Many universities offer introductory math courses as part of the physics major curriculum to ensure students have the necessary mathematical skills.

What opportunities are available for physics majors after completing two semesters of classical physics?

After completing two semesters of classical physics, physics majors have a strong foundation for pursuing a variety of careers in fields such as research, engineering, and teaching. Many students also continue their studies by taking more advanced physics courses and pursuing higher degrees in physics or related fields.