Physics GRE Prep - Mechanical Engineering Student | Book Guide

In summary, the conversation is about a Mechanical Engineering student who has four months to prepare for the physics GRE and is seeking advice on how to study for it. The conversation also touches on the importance of having a broad collection of physics courses and being ready for both the Physics and Verbal GRE. No single book is recommended for the preparation and the student's struggle with basic concepts is mentioned as a potential hurdle in doing well on the exam.
Gurasees
I am a Mechanical Engineering student. I have four months to prepare for physics GRE. How should I study for it? Which book is most preferred ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you a graduating senior? Have you take a broad collection of physics courses, well beyond what is normal for MEs? If either of these is not true, I'd have to ask why you think you might pass the physics GRE. No single book is going to get you there.

Your first question here was "Why ain't momentum conserved when external force acts on the system?"

That tells me two things:
  • You aren't ready for the Physics GRE.
  • You aren't ready for the Verbal GRE.
I don't see how you will do well given the time available.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Vanadium 50 said:
Your first question here was "Why ain't momentum conserved when external force acts on the system?"

That tells me two things:
  • You aren't ready for the Physics GRE.
  • You aren't ready for the Verbal GRE.
I don't see how you will do well given the time available.
Well i like to think a little deep. So sometimes i get stuck thinking about the basic concepts and i don't understand what's the problem with the verbal here?:sorry:

Gurasees said:
Well i like to think a little deep.

That's not the impression you left in that thread. Or the other threads. The impression you give is someone struggling with freshman mechanics.

And "I" is capitalized, "ain't" is not a word and your second sentence is a run-on.

Likes Dr. Courtney

Related to Physics GRE Prep - Mechanical Engineering Student | Book Guide

1. What is the Physics GRE and why is it important for mechanical engineering students?

The Physics GRE is an exam that assesses a student's knowledge and understanding of physics at the undergraduate level. It is an important test for mechanical engineering students because it is often required for admission into graduate programs in physics or related fields.

2. What topics should I focus on when preparing for the Physics GRE as a mechanical engineering student?

As a mechanical engineering student, you should focus on topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. These are the core areas of physics that are most relevant to mechanical engineering and are likely to be covered on the exam.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying for the Physics GRE?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying for the Physics GRE will vary depending on your familiarity with the material and your study habits. However, it is generally recommended to start studying at least 3-4 months before the exam and spend 1-2 hours each day reviewing material and practicing problems.

4. Are there any recommended study materials for the Physics GRE?

There are many study materials available for the Physics GRE, including books, online resources, and practice exams. Some popular options include the "Conquering the Physics GRE" book, the "GRE Physics Subject Test Crash Course" from Kaplan, and the practice tests from the Educational Testing Service (ETS).

5. How important is it to take practice exams while preparing for the Physics GRE?

Practice exams are an essential part of preparing for the Physics GRE. They not only help you familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions on the actual exam, but they also give you the opportunity to identify any areas where you may need additional review or practice. It is recommended to take multiple practice exams before the actual test.