Physics Graduate School Chances

In summary: Science is hard, and it's easy to get bogged down in the minutiae. If you can't handle the hard work, you might want to reconsider your suitability for a career in science.
stellarotic
Hello,

I go to a College with a small physics department and as a result I do not have a very helpful adviser (I don't blame him we have only a handful of professors and after one left, this new one got charged with being an adviser all of a sudden).

Because of this I am a bit in the dark when it comes to what I should expect. I don't know if I'm being foolish in applying to a PHD program, or if I should try a master's.

Here are the facts:
I have a 3.0 major average. I have received a few A's, a couple of B's and B+'s however, I received a C in an introductory physics class when I was getting used to mathematics (I was always a purely liberal arts student beforehand). Since then the only other bad grade I received was a C in ordinary differential equations (I went back over the summer and studied up on the subject, I am now confident in it). Other than that I have all A's in my calculus classes, and partial differential equations. My overall college GPA is a 3.5.

I did research in an optics/imaging laboratory over the summer, and I am sure the professor was happy with my help. He can get me a good recommendation. I believe I can get 2 more good recommendations as my professors were always fond of me and I got to know them outside of the class speaking about the material we cover in office hours.

I am currently taking Quantum Mechanics, Atomic Physics and Solid State Physics classes, and in 3 weeks I will take the Physics Subject GRE. On the General GRE i received a 161 on the quantitative section (out of 170 on the new scale).

My dream is to get into the PHD program at the CUNY graduate center in NYC, which is ranked 63rd in the country.

My question: With all that, am I being foolish in trying applying? How would you put my chances? Right now I feel like EVERYTHING is riding on my Subject GRE, is this accurate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, I most certainly will. I fear I was unclear in my original post. I do not plan to not apply. I certainly will try. I simply hope to get some feedback on my chances, given my record. Right now I'm in the dark with how difficult it is to get into a program ranked 63rd in the country.

This anxiety of not knowing is killing me slowly on the inside xD

First, the 63rd number is all but meaningless. Ranking is more about the size of the program than anything else: large programs have more opportunities for the people doing the ranking to recognize good work than small schools.

Second, it's impossible to guess what will be going through a particular admissions committee's mind. Sometimes they focus more on one aspect of a portfolio and sometimes another.

Smoking the GRE is a very good idea. 3.0 is not a strong in-major average, and it is on the line between passing and failing for graduate school, where the courses are more difficult. Professors who are fond of you because you see them out of class will write average letters. The letters will say good things about you, but they will not stand out from the crowd because they can't. A letter that will stand out will describe specific accomplishments that you have made.

Finally, if the "anxiety of not knowing is killing me slowly on the inside" you should consider a career outside of science. A career in science is absolutely filled with this: "will my paper be accepted?" "will my grant proposal be funded?" "will my equipment arrive in time?" "what if it rains?" If this is slowly killing you, you will be miserable as a scientist.

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns. It sounds like you have a strong interest and passion for physics, which is a great start for graduate school. However, it is important to have realistic expectations and to do your research before applying to any program.

First, I want to assure you that your undergraduate institution does not determine your chances of getting into graduate school. What matters more is your performance in your courses and research experiences. Your grades in physics and math courses are important, but admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and your personal statement.

Based on the information you provided, it seems like you have a good foundation in physics and math, and you have taken steps to improve in areas where you had lower grades. Your research experience and potential recommendations from professors will also strengthen your application. However, it is difficult to accurately assess your chances without knowing more about the specific program and its admissions criteria.

Your performance on the Physics Subject GRE is important, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. It is one piece of the puzzle, and your overall application will be evaluated holistically.

My advice would be to continue working hard in your courses, building relationships with professors, and gaining more research experience. It may also be helpful to reach out to current graduate students or alumni from the program you are interested in to learn more about their experiences and what the admissions process was like for them.

In summary, I would not say that you are being foolish in applying to a PhD program, but it is important to have realistic expectations and to put your best foot forward in your application. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors!

Related to Physics Graduate School Chances

What are the requirements for getting into a physics graduate school?

The specific requirements for physics graduate school vary depending on the institution, but most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, a high GPA, and a competitive score on the GRE subject test in physics.

What is a good GRE score for physics graduate school?

A good GRE score for physics graduate school is typically around the 80th percentile or higher. This translates to a score of around 165 or above on the quantitative section and 4.5 or above on the analytical writing section.

How important are research experience and publications for physics graduate school admissions?

Research experience and publications are highly valued by physics graduate schools. Having hands-on research experience and publications in reputable journals can demonstrate to admissions committees that you are committed to the field and have the skills necessary for success in a graduate program.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into a top physics graduate school?

To increase your chances of getting into a top physics graduate school, it is important to focus on maintaining a high GPA, scoring well on the GRE subject test in physics, securing strong letters of recommendation, and gaining research experience. Additionally, participating in extracurricular activities, such as science clubs or internships, can also strengthen your application.

Is it necessary to have a specific subfield of interest in physics before applying to graduate school?

While it is not necessary to have a specific subfield of interest in physics before applying to graduate school, having a general idea of your interests can be beneficial. This can help you choose the right program and research opportunities that align with your interests, and can also demonstrate to admissions committees that you have a clear understanding of your academic goals.