Physics Grad Schools in Nashville, TN

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a graduate degree in theoretical physics at Vanderbilt University in Nashville. They express surprise at the lack of other universities in the area with physics graduate programs and seek information about other options. The conversation concludes with the consensus that a PhD is necessary for a career in theoretical physics and the speaker's plan to pursue a Masters degree before possibly obtaining a job or PhD.
mbrmbrg
I think I'd like to go to grad school for theoretical physics, and I'll be in Nashville next year (and 1-4? years after that). Right now, I'm looking at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/physics/graduate" .

Does anyone have any info about these schools?

Also, I'm kind of surprised that I can't find any other universities in the Nashville area that have physics graduate programs. Does anyone know of any others?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
On;y Vanderbilt offers the PhD. I'm not sure Tennessee State even has an MS program. If you want to do theory, you need a PhD.

There are only 189 physics PhD programs in the country. There aren't many cities that have more than a few programs.

Fisk University's program site only mentions a master's of arts (MA not MS). I saw no graduate work on Tennessee State's site. I concur that in the Nashville area, the only program of possible good reputation is Vandy's.

Honestly, if you are looking to do theoretical physics at the Ph.D. level, you need to look at a variety of programs around the country and try to find the best ones where your application would still be competitive (and apply to a number of them). Ph.D.'s typically take 5-7 years if you are at it full-time (typically you are offered stipends of some form so you can be at it full-time). This advice is, of course, if you are planning to pursue a career in theoretical physics of some form, not just dabble in a course or two or do it at a snail's pace for self-edification while you're committed to other pursuits.

I realize, of course, that there can be familial or other obligations that keep one in a given geographic region... but don't do that to yourself until you're absolutely committed to that track.

Hm, consensus seems to tell me to get off my butt and finish that Vandy application. Darn.
I'd love to be able to flit around, but that's not really an option.
Since I plan to be in Nashville for less than 5-7 years, I figured I'd go for a masters degree, and then either a job or PhD.
Thanks, people! :smile:

If you're interested in theory, I'm afraid an MS is not terribly valuable. You really need a PhD for that career path.

Yes, I figured that. But I don't plan on being in America long enough to get a PhD, and it seems that Israeli universities require a masters before a doctorate. Hence the MS plan.

Related to Physics Grad Schools in Nashville, TN

1. What universities in Nashville, TN offer a graduate program in Physics?

There are two universities in Nashville, TN that offer a graduate program in Physics: Vanderbilt University and Tennessee State University.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Physics graduate program in Nashville, TN?

The admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, you will need a bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose. Some universities may also require a minimum GPA and specific coursework in Physics and mathematics.

3. What research opportunities are available for graduate students in Physics in Nashville, TN?

Both Vanderbilt University and Tennessee State University have active research programs in various areas of Physics, including astrophysics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. As a graduate student, you will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects with faculty members and other students.

4. Are there any financial aid options for graduate students in Physics in Nashville, TN?

Yes, both Vanderbilt University and Tennessee State University offer financial aid options for graduate students in Physics. This may include assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. You can also apply for external funding through organizations like the National Science Foundation.

5. What is the job outlook for Physics graduates in Nashville, TN?

The job outlook for Physics graduates in Nashville, TN is positive. With a master's or Ph.D. in Physics, you can pursue careers in research, academia, government agencies, and industries such as aerospace, technology, and energy. Nashville's growing economy and proximity to other major cities also provide opportunities for job placement and networking.