Physics grad school with bio/premed major - possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in pursuing a major in physics, despite currently being a biology major. They express their desire to add a minor in physics and their concern about whether it would be enough to pursue a graduate program in physics. Other participants in the conversation suggest that a minor in physics may not be sufficient and recommend changing their major to physics or considering biophysics graduate programs.
thecatnip
Hi everyone,

I am a biology major (doing premed) as undergraduate right now. I was doing premed, however I volunteered at hospitals and such, and I am strongly starting to believe it is not for me at all. I loved physics in high school, took AP Physics and actively participated in Physics and Astrophysics clubs. Now, I know it is not the same thing as majoring in physics in college. I am thinking to add another semester to have a minor in physics. However, I am wondering if that would be enough to go to masters and PHD in physics??

I am interested in biology research too, but I have a strong passion towards physics and would really like to see if I can have any opportunity in it. My GPA right now is 3.45. I know, not that great but I messed up in freshman year but each semester my gpa kept going up and it keeps going up, so I expect it to be better by the time I graduate.

And I am participating in one of my professor's research lab. (biology)
Thanks guys, I really appreciate any advice you might be able to give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
To start a graduate program in physics, one is expected to have an undergrad degree in physics. A minor isn't enough. If physics is what you want to do, I'd recommend changing your major to physics.

I agree with Vanadium here.

Sometimes you will see listed as a requirement for admisssion "a degree in physics or equivalent or permission from the department" or somesuch phrasing. What this translates into in practical terms is that students with a similar courseload to those who major in physics are also considered. Examples might be majors in engineering physics, physical chemistry, or mathematics with a considerable courseload in physics.

Unfortunately, a degree in biology with a physics minor won't usually cut it. And even if it did and you were by admitted, you would find yourself starting out graduate school playing catch-up amidst a field of others who were quite successful in a series of challenging senior undergraduate physics courses.

I believe that it is absolutely possible for you to pursue a graduate degree in physics with a biology/premed major. In fact, having a background in both fields can be a great asset in certain areas of research, such as biophysics or medical physics. Your experience in physics and astrophysics clubs, as well as your interest in biology research, show that you have a strong passion for science and the ability to excel in multiple areas.

Adding a minor in physics and participating in a research lab are great steps towards pursuing a graduate degree in physics. Your GPA may not be as high as some other applicants, but it is important to continue to improve and show your dedication to your studies. Additionally, your experience in a research lab will give you valuable skills and experience that will be beneficial in a graduate program.

I would recommend reaching out to physics professors or graduate students at your university to discuss your interests and potential opportunities for graduate studies. They may be able to give you more specific advice and guidance on the application process. Overall, I believe that with your passion and dedication, you can definitely pursue a graduate degree in physics and achieve your goals. Best of luck to you!

Related to Physics grad school with bio/premed major - possible?

1. Can I pursue a physics graduate degree with a biology or pre-med major?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a physics graduate degree with a biology or pre-med major. Many graduate programs in physics are open to students with diverse undergraduate backgrounds, and having a background in biology or pre-med can even bring a unique perspective to the field of physics.

2. Will I need to have a strong background in physics to be accepted into a graduate program?

While having a strong background in physics can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for acceptance into a graduate program. Some programs may offer remedial courses to help you catch up on any necessary physics knowledge.

3. How can I prepare for a physics graduate program with a biology or pre-med background?

To prepare for a physics graduate program with a biology or pre-med background, it is recommended to take as many physics courses as possible during your undergraduate studies. You can also participate in research experiences in physics or related fields, and seek out internships or shadowing opportunities in physics labs or industries.

4. What career opportunities are available with a physics graduate degree and a biology or pre-med background?

A physics graduate degree with a biology or pre-med background can open up a wide range of career opportunities. You can pursue research positions in interdisciplinary fields such as biophysics or medical physics, work in healthcare industries, or even go on to pursue a medical degree.

5. Is it possible to complete a physics graduate degree and a medical degree simultaneously?

It is possible to complete a physics graduate degree and a medical degree simultaneously, although it may require careful planning and time management. Some universities even offer joint programs that allow students to earn both degrees in a shorter amount of time.