Physics Grad School Prospectives

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker seeking advice on their chances for getting into graduate school, specifically schools like MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, and Santa Barbara. They mention concerns about their math GRE score and the possibility of getting into "safety" schools. The speaker shares their GRE scores, GPA, and list of courses they have taken, as well as their research experience and paper for publication. They also mention their preference for a larger or smaller graduate school program.
scisyhphysics
Hello all,

Just wanted your opinion on my prospectives for grad school. What are some "safety" schools that I should consider? Likewise, what are some schools that I might have a fair chance of getting into? Do I have a chance for schools like MIT/Berkeley/Stanford/Santa Barbara?

I screwed up on the math GRE-will this make a difference? Also, I'm still waiting on my writing score, but it would be best to assume its no better than 4.

GRE scores:
verbal: 590
math: 770
writing: still waiting

Physics: (800 on practice exam under testing conditions, still waiting for results from the real one that I took November)

GPA: 3.45/4.0 (maybe a little higher for physics courses)
from one of the top 20 US Universities

I've taken the following courses:
class mech
undergrad quantum
Adv. E&M
particle physics
thermodynamics
physical chemistry
intro. computational physics
graduate quantum (taking this year)

I've been doing research continually since winter of my sophomore year. I'm currently preparing a paper for publication.

Thanks for your help:)

Physics news on Phys.org
What field are you interested in?
What field is your paper in?
What math courses have you taken? and how did you do?
Do you prefer a big school (with a large physics graduate-student entering class)? or a small one?

Hello there,

First of all, congratulations on considering graduate school in physics! It is a challenging but rewarding path to pursue. In terms of safety schools, it is important to research and consider programs that align with your research interests and have a strong faculty in those areas. Some good resources for finding safety schools could be the Physics GRE forum or talking to your current professors for recommendations.

As for your chances at top schools like MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, and Santa Barbara, it is difficult to say without knowing more about your research experience and the specific programs you are applying to. These schools are highly competitive, and it is important to have a strong research background, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement to stand out. Your GRE scores are only one aspect of your application, so do not let a lower math score discourage you. If your writing score is also on the lower side, you can make up for it by showcasing your writing skills in your personal statement and research papers.

Your GPA is also an important factor, and a 3.45 is on the lower side for top schools. However, if you have a strong upward trend in your physics courses and can explain any dips in your GPA in your personal statement, it can still work in your favor.

Your course and research experience looks solid, and it is great that you have been involved in research since your sophomore year. Make sure to highlight your research accomplishments and publications in your application.

Overall, it is important to have a well-rounded application and to apply to a mix of safety, match, and reach schools. Best of luck with your applications!

Related to Physics Grad School Prospectives

What is the typical timeline for completing a physics graduate program?

The timeline for completing a physics graduate program can vary depending on the specific program and the student's individual progress. Typically, it takes 2-3 years to complete a master's program and 4-6 years to complete a doctoral program.

What are the admission requirements for physics graduate programs?

The specific admission requirements for physics graduate programs may vary, but most programs require a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, and competitive scores on the GRE (Graduate Record Examination). Some programs may also require previous research experience or a statement of purpose.

What are the career options after completing a physics graduate program?

Completing a physics graduate program can open up a variety of career options, including working in research and development, academia, industry, or government agencies. Many graduates also go on to pursue careers in fields such as engineering, finance, or data science.

How important is research experience in the admissions process for physics graduate programs?

Research experience is often highly valued in the admissions process for physics graduate programs. Many programs prefer applicants who have previous research experience, as it demonstrates a strong interest and aptitude for scientific inquiry and can also provide valuable skills and knowledge for graduate-level research.

What is the average salary for someone with a physics graduate degree?

The average salary for someone with a physics graduate degree can vary depending on factors such as job location, industry, and specific job role. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers in 2020 was $129,850. However, this can range from around $60,000 for entry-level positions to over $200,000 for more experienced physicists in certain industries.