Physics for undergraduate and engeneering for graduate? how feasible is it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of majoring in Applied or Engineering Physics instead of pursuing a more theoretical branch of physics. It is noted that certain areas within Applied Physics, such as physical chemistry and materials science, may be more welcoming to students from different backgrounds. However, it is important to show a focused interest and have relevant experience in the chosen field. The conversation also clarifies that in the context of Mozambique, Applied Physics and Engineering Physics are essentially the same.
MadAtom
My parents are kinda worried about my will to become a physicist. it is not a common course here in Mozambique and find employment could be a little bit hard (but I don't plan to work here...). everybody tells me that I should study applied or engineering physics. to calm down them I argue that, later on, I can major in an applied area (engineering, applied physics...). but is it possible? will I find difficulties by doing this? in other hand, can I have an undergraduate degree in applied physics and later on major in areas such as high energy, astrophysics,etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Applied Physics learns all the necessary physics classes that can be built later on into things that are more on the formal theory side, or just to use them on a job out of school.

I'd caution against going into anything too theoretical, since there's so many things in theoretical physics are so far removed from experiment and application that they'd NEVER be used or even seen.

this won't be a disadvantage while applying to an university? The admission committee won't consider me as a not focused student and consequently lose interest in me?

MadAtom said:
this won't be a disadvantage while applying to an university? The admission committee won't consider me as a not focused student and consequently lose interest in me?

You must prove your interest regardless of major.

There's some areas, such as physical chemistry, condensed matter physics, materials science, biomedical engineering, biochemistry, computational biology, etc. that are much more welcome to outsiders (major switches) than others like theoretical math or high energy astro. Its simply because some areas are quite interdisciplinary and a great variety of people can contribute their skills, and others are very specialized and only a few people can.

However, if you truly are unfocused, say, going from physical chemistry all the way into high energy astro, then yes, they will junk your application outright unless you could prove (with publications and/or research experience) that you can succeed.

When I applied to grad school several schools junked my paper outright because I expressed interest in a research area that I didn't have background for (nonlinear optics). On the other hand I was readily accepted by programs when I expressed interest in their condensed matter research, because I already had extensive lab and research experience in materials science.

I don't sit on an admissions committee so take my thoughts as reference only.

chill_factor said:
I don't sit on an admissions committee so take my thoughts as reference only.

Thanks anyway...

Do you maybe have a list of courses for the "Applied Physics" course you're talking about?

mr. vodka said:
Do you maybe have a list of courses for the "Applied Physics" course you're talking about?

Maybe I expressed myself wrong. I see that Applied Physics is an application in a specific range (biophysics, nanotech, astro,...). But by applied Physics I mean the same as Engineering Physics. In my country the only undergraduate physics courses available are Educational Physics and Applied Physics (which is basically the same as Engineering Physics).

Related to Physics for undergraduate and engeneering for graduate? how feasible is it?

1. What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate level physics and engineering courses?

Undergraduate physics and engineering courses are typically introductory and cover the fundamental concepts and principles of the subject. Graduate level courses, on the other hand, are more advanced and delve deeper into specific areas of the subject.

2. How much math is involved in studying physics and engineering at the undergraduate and graduate level?

Both undergraduate and graduate level physics and engineering courses require a strong foundation in mathematics. At the undergraduate level, courses typically cover calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Graduate level courses may also require knowledge of advanced math topics such as vector calculus, complex analysis, and partial differential equations.

3. Is it feasible to study both physics and engineering at the undergraduate and graduate level?

Yes, it is feasible to study both physics and engineering at the undergraduate and graduate level. However, it may require a significant amount of time and dedication, as both subjects are rigorous and demanding. It is important to carefully plan your course schedule and seek guidance from professors and advisors to ensure a successful academic journey.

4. Can I pursue a career in both physics and engineering with a degree in either discipline?

Yes, a degree in either physics or engineering can lead to a career in both fields. Many industries, such as aerospace, require a combination of skills from both disciplines. It is also common for individuals to pursue graduate studies in a different field than their undergraduate degree. However, it is recommended to gain some experience or take additional courses to gain a well-rounded understanding of both subjects.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying physics and engineering at the undergraduate and graduate level?

Yes, there are typically specific prerequisites for physics and engineering courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level. These may include certain math courses, physics courses, or engineering courses. It is important to check with your university or department for specific requirements and plan accordingly to fulfill them before enrolling in higher level courses.