Physics & Computer science double major in 4 years?

In summary, it is possible to complete a double major in physics and computer science in 4 years, but it may be difficult to give each course the necessary attention. It is recommended to take advantage of summer school and participate in research as an undergrad, but this may also consume a lot of time. Additionally, it is important to maintain good grades and not overload oneself with too many classes. There may also be scheduling conflicts when attempting to pursue a dual major or minor in different fields.
Ritzycat
In general, would I expect to be able to complete a double major in physics and computer science in 4 years?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be difficult to give each important course the attention it deserves if you spread yourself too thin. You could probably do it comfortably in 5 years.

Well, maybe if you take full advantage of summer school you can do it in 4 years comfortably.

If you plan to go to grad school, it would be a good idea to participate in research as an undergrad if you have the opportunity, but this might also consume a lot of time. And it's important to get good grades.

My first two quarters I took heavy course loads and regret it. This quarter I decided to just take 2 courses along with a research position which counts as elective credit, and I am much happier, and able to really learn the material in great depth.

When taking too many classes, I was overwhelmed with tedious homework and awkward schedules. I was just doing the bare minimum to get good grades, and I didn't get much out of it.

Also, at my University, difficulties can arise in getting a dual major, or even minor, due to scheduling conflicts. I am majoring in ECS and minoring in math, but so far almost all of the upper division math courses I plan to take have conflicted with CS classes I need to take.

Last edited:

Related to Physics & Computer science double major in 4 years?

1. What is the benefit of double majoring in Physics and Computer Science in 4 years?

Double majoring in Physics and Computer Science allows students to gain a strong understanding and skill set in two highly valuable fields. This can open up a wide range of career opportunities and make graduates more competitive in the job market.

2. Is it possible to complete a double major in Physics and Computer Science in 4 years?

Yes, it is possible to complete a double major in Physics and Computer Science in 4 years, as long as the student carefully plans their course schedule and stays on track with their coursework. It may require taking summer classes or overloading on credits during certain semesters.

3. Can I still participate in extracurricular activities while double majoring in Physics and Computer Science?

Yes, it is important to maintain a well-rounded college experience, so it is encouraged to still participate in extracurricular activities while double majoring. However, it may require good time management skills and prioritizing academic responsibilities.

4. Are there any specific classes that are required for a double major in Physics and Computer Science?

Each university may have different requirements, but in general, a double major in Physics and Computer Science will require core classes in both subjects, as well as upper-level courses in each field. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure all requirements are met.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone with a double major in Physics and Computer Science?

A double major in Physics and Computer Science can lead to a variety of career paths, such as software engineer, data scientist, research scientist, or technical consultant. The combination of skills in both fields can also open up opportunities in industries such as healthcare, finance, and technology.