Physics BS and other MS/PhD degrees

In summary, the individual is planning to major in physics and graduate in 3 years with a BS in physics and apply to graduate schools in astronomy or nuclear physics. They are also considering a minor in chemistry or math. They are interested in oceanography and biochemistry, but unsure if a physics degree would be enough to get into graduate programs in those fields. They are seeking advice and wondering if anyone else has experience jumping between fields. They also mention the possibility of interdisciplinary programs in chemical physics or biochemistry/molecular biophysics.
seaofghosts
Hey everyone,

I'm beginning my physics major in the fall, but my situation is a little odd. I have an AA in history (because I had to work full-time through my degree and it was available entirely online at my school). Now that I'm able to finally study what I want, my #1 plan is to graduate in 3 years with a physics BS and apply to grad schools in astronomy or nuclear physics.

Out of curiosity (and because I'm apparently interested in EVERYTHING), would a physics BS be enough to get into grad school in either an oceanography or biochemistry program, without a minor in either? I'm considering a minor in chemistry, but it would add a massive amount of time to my degree and I might wind up minoring in math instead (because it would add only one semester). There is no biochemistry minor at my school, otherwise I would heavily consider that despite the time involved. I might not be at my undergrad school for more than a year, so there may be a minor where I move, but I'm not counting on it and am not sure if I'm moving yet.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to major in biochem, and I'm not moving anywhere for undergrad oceanography. I just want to keep my options open in case astronomy doesn't work out for whatever reason (like location issues). I'm 95% sure that I will get my degree in physics.

I've looked at some oceanography programs, and I haven't really seen much in the way of degree requirements. Does anyone know if they care, as long as it's science related, and you can prove you're capable of the work? Or do they expect Earth sciences? It's been a passion of mine since I was a teenager and am curious if I could make it doable. My fascination with the ocean is probably similar to my love of space -- the possibilities are endless.

My interest in biochem is MUCH more recent, and I'm skeptical that it would work out in the end. Basically, I did well in my chemistry classes and missed doing it as soon as the final exam was done (which I wasn't expecting!) and would be interested in pairing it with marine studies based on several books I've read and my history with marine studies. But I'm not sure if oceanography would take me down that path, or if a strict bio/chemistry program would be better, and then maybe do PhD work in marine studies? My guess is that I will not have enough biology under my belt by the time it comes to apply for any biochem programs, if I even have enough chemistry.

Anyway, I just wanted to get any advice and see if anyone else has jumped around at all between these fields (even physics and chem, which I imagine is more common). How much chemistry would I need to get into a chemistry master's program? Would I have a shot at biochem at all? I plan on having at least organic chemistry II finished by the time I graduate.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was looking into oceanography graduate programs a few months back. I remember just about all of the programs I looked at said a physics degree is acceptable. That's probably true for physical oceanography, but if it is more of the biology and chem you want to do, you would probably want a background in those instead of physics. Some geology would probably be useful too.

I don't have any experience with oceanography programs. Can't help you there.

Regarding chemistry - if you aren't a chemistry and/or biochemistry major, you might be trying to ice skate uphill a bit more than you'd like getting into a typical Arts & Sciences-type chemistry graduate program. If you had a physics degree and had completed the organic chemistry sequence, you'd be well-placed for an interdisciplinary chemical physics graduate program or - given your stated biological interest - one of the increasingly common biochemistry/molecular biophysics graduate programs (either interdepartmental or based at a medical school). I wouldn't worry about having insufficient biological background for the latter - the curricula of these types of graduate programs is usually designed to stiffen the backs of the more qualitative sorts, and to make the more quantitative types realize that not everything can be realistically approximated by a spherical cow in a vacuum. :cool:

Related to Physics BS and other MS/PhD degrees

1. What is the difference between a Physics BS and a Physics MS/PhD degree?

A Physics BS (Bachelor of Science) degree typically takes four years to complete and provides a general understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of physics. A Physics MS (Master of Science) degree usually takes two years and involves more specialized coursework and research in a specific area of physics. A Physics PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) degree typically takes four to six years and is focused on original research in a specific area of physics, leading to a dissertation and potential career in academia or industry.

2. What are the job prospects for someone with a Physics BS versus a Physics MS/PhD?

A Physics BS degree can lead to a variety of careers, including research positions in government or industry, teaching, and technical positions in fields such as engineering, computer science, or finance. A Physics MS/PhD degree can open up opportunities for higher-level positions in research and development, as well as teaching at the university level.

3. Is a Physics MS/PhD degree necessary for a career in physics?

No, a Physics MS/PhD degree is not necessary for a career in physics. Many individuals with a Physics BS degree go on to have successful careers in physics-related fields. However, a Physics MS/PhD degree can provide advanced knowledge and research experience that may be beneficial for certain positions, such as those in academia or research institutions.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area of physics with a Physics BS degree?

While a Physics BS degree may not provide as much specialization as a Physics MS/PhD degree, it is possible to focus on a specific area of physics through elective courses, independent research projects, and internships. Additionally, many graduate programs offer opportunities for students with a Physics BS degree to specialize in a particular subfield of physics.

5. What are the benefits of earning a Physics MS/PhD degree versus a degree in a related field?

Earning a Physics MS/PhD degree can provide a deeper understanding and expertise in the field of physics, as well as opportunities for advanced research and teaching positions. However, earning a degree in a related field such as engineering or computer science can also lead to fulfilling careers in physics-related industries and may offer a wider range of job opportunities. Ultimately, the decision should be based on individual interests and career goals.