Physical Chem vs. CM physics Graduate school

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between graduate programs in physical chemistry and condensed matter physics. The speaker is interested in both fields and is seeking advice on which program would be a better fit for their research interests. They also express concern about the lack of math and electromagnetism in chemistry programs, which are crucial for their desired focus on spectroscopy. Ultimately, the advice is to choose a program that aligns with their research interests and goals.
flemmyd
I'm currently applying for various graduate schools in both physical chemistry and condensed matter physics. My undergraduate degree is a double major in both fields.

I'm curious about what the differences between the departments (and, to an extent, fields) might be. In terms of research, I'm interested in solid-state materials and various forms of spectroscopy, so both departments typically have professors doing relevant research.

One thing that bothers me about applying to chemistry programs is the lack of math/electrodynamics. If I want to get my PhD doing spectroscopy, I imagine I'd have to be pretty good at e&m. If in chem graduate school, it seems like most people would only have seen freshmen level e&m. I just struggle to think anyone (including physical chem graduate students) can learn all the upper-level e&m on their own.

Any advice/comments anyone has would be incredibly useful. Even bouncing ideas would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of differences between physical chemistry and condensed matter physics, physical chemistry typically deals more with the theoretical aspects of chemical systems, while condensed matter physics tends to be more focused on the experimental side of things. In physical chemistry, you'll likely be exposed to a lot of mathematics, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and thermodynamics, whereas in condensed matter physics, you'll be focused more on the development of new materials, their properties, and their applications. Both disciplines require a good understanding of classical physics and electromagnetism, so you'll need to have a strong foundation in those areas. However, the emphasis on the advanced topics will vary from department to department.At the end of the day, it's important to find a program that aligns well with your research interests and goals. If you want to focus more heavily on the theoretical aspects of physical chemistry, then a physical chemistry graduate program might be the right choice for you. On the other hand, if you're more interested in developing new materials and exploring their properties, then a condensed matter physics program might be more suitable. It all depends on what you want to get out of your graduate studies. Good luck!

Related to Physical Chem vs. CM physics Graduate school

1. What is the difference between Physical Chemistry and Condensed Matter Physics in graduate school?

In graduate school, Physical Chemistry (or "Physical Chem") focuses on the fundamental principles of chemistry, such as thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy. On the other hand, Condensed Matter Physics (or "CM physics") focuses on the physical properties and behavior of materials in their solid or liquid state, using concepts from both physics and chemistry.

2. Which field has better job prospects after graduate school?

Both Physical Chemistry and Condensed Matter Physics have excellent job prospects after graduate school. Physical Chem graduates may find employment in industries like pharmaceuticals, materials science, or energy. CM physics graduates may have opportunities in fields like nanotechnology, semiconductors, or renewable energy.

3. Can I switch from Physical Chemistry to Condensed Matter Physics (or vice versa) during graduate school?

It is possible to switch between these two fields during graduate school, but it may require additional coursework and approval from your program advisor. It's best to discuss your interests and options with your advisor before making any changes.

4. Which field requires more laboratory work and experiments?

Both Physical Chemistry and Condensed Matter Physics require significant laboratory work and experiments. However, the type of experiments may differ. Physical Chem may involve more traditional chemistry experiments, while CM physics may involve more advanced techniques like scanning electron microscopy or spectroscopy.

5. What skills do I need to be successful in either Physical Chemistry or Condensed Matter Physics?

To be successful in either field, it is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are crucial skills for both Physical Chem and CM physics graduate students. Laboratory experience and computer programming skills are also beneficial.