Phil Dick's Warnings About Building Robots in Our Own Image

• Thread starter gabriel alexander
  • Start date
In summary, Phil Dick is an author who wrote about the dangers of creating artificial life. He warned us of what would happen if we did this, and we are now experiencing the consequences. He says that it is still a ways off from happening, but that we should be cautious. He also says that if we are feeling better about this, we should remember that it is still not easy and that it may not work.
gabriel alexander
Phil Dick is my favorite sci-fi writer. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep is my favorite novel and Second Variety is my favorite short story. With these two and not only, Phil tried to warn us what will happen if we build robots in our own image. And here we are, doing just that today. We didn't listen and we will pay for it. What say you?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think we are still a long way off from having androids like Phillip Dick imagined.

However, there is the uncanny valley effect where people are really uncomfortable around robots that look remarkably human but aren't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

We pay for every technology we have ever invented as people learn to subvert it and we must learn to live with it. Why should android tech be any different?

We want self-driving cars and people are actively finding ways to subvert but eventually it will be a criminal pastime but we will still use it because of the increased safety promised.

Likes russ_watters
gabriel alexander said:
What say you?
Ask me again in 100 years.

Likes russ_watters and jedishrfu
gabriel alexander said:
Phil tried to warn us what will happen if we build robots in our own image

I think you may be confusing Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep with The Terminator.

Likes russ_watters
I know that. But that's not the crux of the story. It's like describing The Lord Of The Rings as "Nine strangers get together to return lost jewelry."

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, phinds, jedishrfu and 2 others
The pseudo-religion / social contract of Mercerism forms the core of PKD's "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep". After dialing in their moods for the day, humans left behind on an Earth nearly devoid of other species, connect online to participate in the journey of Mercer as he/she/it struggles to climb a hill beset by attacks from unseen strangers. This group catharsis substitutes for physical and relational love. While Deckard still lives with his wife who is mainly concerned with their social status in owning a synthetic pet, they despise each other.

In the beautiful dark movie "Blade Runner" Deckard is drawn to and falls in love with the highly evolved replicant Rachel. Both book and film debate the issue of Deckard's humanity. Are blade runners special androids licensed to live on Earth to hunt and kill escaped slaves (replicants)? In the book Deckard interacts with a police force that may be artificial before locating the real headquarters. Were his memories implants?

I recently screened the 'final cut' of "Blade Runner" among the best SF movies IMO. I will re-read the novel soon.

I highly recommend Phil's "UBIK" and "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said".

Likes BillTre
gabriel alexander said:
Phil tried to warn us what will happen if we build robots in our own image. And here we are, doing just that today.
He was a SF author, not a prophet or time traveller. Any perceived or real warnings of his have as much weight as James Cameron's warnings against fighting the blue people.
gabriel alexander said:
We didn't listen and we will pay for it.
We will certainly have to pay a fair market price.

Likes BillTre and Rive
I will order three at the start, and they can do my work times 3, while I sit at home and vegetate and enjoy the finer details of life. "My productivity" will increase as I will be able to accomplish much more, through the android usage than what I could ever dream of doing all by myself. In time I will get more and more, an army of them, reap the benefits. Live long and proper.
( Just as long as no one else is thinking of doing the same thing.)

• Haha
Likes MathematicalPhysicist and Klystron
There is a short SF story about conspicuous consumption, @256bits . Citizens are required to consume the production from automated factories else face fines -- a reverse Internal Revenue Service (IRS), if you will. The protagonist programs robots to swing golf clubs, run appliances and otherwise meet his consumption quotas while he "does his own thing". I forget title and author, possibly PKD or Harry Harrison, but probably Stanislaw Lem.

• Informative
Likes 256bits
That is the most interesting thing I have heard today.
Thanks

Likes Klystron
gabriel alexander said:
Phil Dick is my favorite sci-fi writer. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep is my favorite novel and Second Variety is my favorite short story. With these two and not only, Phil tried to warn us what will happen if we build robots in our own image. And here we are, doing just that today. We didn't listen and we will pay for it. What say you?
Turns out creating life from nonliving matter is hard. Like really hard. So far impossible even for humans. Which is ironic given the popular ideas of our time.

Yet if intelligent effort continues to fail maybe we should throw some DNA and nanobots in a deep hole and let it sit for several billion years? If that makes anyone feel any better.

One of my favorite stories is by Asimov.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bicentennial_Man

One of the key features of SF is that it can teach us about ourselves by dragging our point of view outside ourselves. So, building a robot that wants to be human allowed for the delightful artifice of point-by-point showing what it means to be human and adding that on to a robot. We get to see what it means to be human as the title character moves from non-human to human.

Have not read "Second Variety" for ages but do remember the movie "Screamers" derived from it.
Beware of little boys carrying fuzzy teddy bears.

I would say that without a true AI you have nothing to worry about and I don’t see a true AI coming for a very long time if ever and I certainly don’t see it being done with a silicon processor of any type

Related to Phil Dick's Warnings About Building Robots in Our Own Image

1. What is "Should Have Listened To Phil"?

"Should Have Listened To Phil" is a popular phrase that refers to the idea that one should listen to the advice or warnings of someone else, specifically someone who is knowledgeable or experienced in a certain subject or situation.

2. Who is Phil?

Phil is a fictional character who is often used as a representation of someone who gives wise advice or warnings that are not heeded. The name "Phil" is often used as a placeholder in this phrase.

3. Why is it important to listen to Phil?

It is important to listen to Phil because he represents someone who has knowledge or experience in a certain subject or situation. By listening to Phil, you can potentially avoid making mistakes or bad decisions.

4. Is "Should Have Listened To Phil" always applicable?

No, "Should Have Listened To Phil" is not always applicable. It is important to consider the source of the advice or warnings and to use your own judgment in making decisions.

5. How can I apply "Should Have Listened To Phil" in my life?

You can apply "Should Have Listened To Phil" in your life by actively seeking out advice or guidance from knowledgeable and experienced individuals, and by being open to their suggestions and warnings. It is also important to reflect on past experiences and learn from any mistakes made by not listening to wise advice.