Ph.D. programs with discrete mathematics

In summary, the person is looking for middle-to-lower ranked schools with a strong focus on discrete mathematics, particularly in the areas of graph theory, number theory, and topology. They are interested in pure math programs and are open to suggestions for schools to apply to, including Emory University.
I've been having trouble finding many pure math Ph.D. programs with active research groups in the general field of discrete mathematics (perhaps due to its interdisciplinary nature). I'm only aware of the top schools in this field (e.g. Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, UCSD, Rutgers); can anyone suggest some middle-to-lower ranked schools with a relatively large presence in discrete math?

If it helps, I am particularly interested in graph theory, as well as connections between combinatorics/graph theory to number theory and topology. My interests are entirely within the domain of pure math; I do not wish to apply to any applied math or computer science programs.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, why not go to one of those schools? In particular, georgia tech? But, I think Emory University does a lot of discrete stuff, too.

Robert1986 said:
Well, why not go to one of those schools? In particular, georgia tech? But, I think Emory University does a lot of discrete stuff, too.

I would love to go to one of those schools, but it's not like I can go to a top school just because I want to; I have to worry about getting in first! I'll probably end up applying to ~10-12 programs next year, and I want a good variety of schools: some near the top, and others for which I have a better chance of getting into. Thank you for suggesting Emory though; I will definitely check them out.

Sorry for the bump; it's been 3 days without another response. Does anyone have other suggestions?

I can understand the frustration of not being able to find many pure math Ph.D. programs with active research groups in the field of discrete mathematics. However, I would like to reassure you that there are many reputable institutions with strong research programs in this area, even if they may not be top-ranked schools.

Some suggestions for middle-to-lower ranked schools with a significant presence in discrete math include the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of California Los Angeles, University of Wisconsin Madison, and University of Michigan. These institutions have renowned mathematicians and active research groups in discrete mathematics, particularly in graph theory and its connections to other fields.

Additionally, I would recommend looking into the research interests of individual faculty members at various institutions. Often, even if a school may not have a well-known discrete math program, there may be individual professors who are conducting cutting-edge research in this area. This can be a great opportunity for you to work closely with a mentor and contribute to their research.

Lastly, I would suggest reaching out to current graduate students or recent graduates from these programs to get a better understanding of the research opportunities and overall experience at these institutions. They can provide valuable insight into the strengths and weaknesses of each program and help you make an informed decision about where to apply.

Overall, do not be discouraged by the lack of well-known programs in discrete math. There are plenty of excellent institutions with strong research programs in this field, and with determination and hard work, you can achieve your goals of pursuing a Ph.D. in pure mathematics. Best of luck in your search!

Related to Ph.D. programs with discrete mathematics

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, such as integers, graphs, and sets. It is often applied in computer science, cryptography, and other fields.

2. What is a Ph.D. program in discrete mathematics?

A Ph.D. program in discrete mathematics is a doctoral program that focuses on advanced study and research in discrete structures and their applications. It typically involves coursework, comprehensive exams, and a dissertation based on original research.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a Ph.D. in discrete mathematics?

Graduates with a Ph.D. in discrete mathematics have a wide range of career opportunities, including academia, research and development, data analysis, cryptography, and computer science. They can also pursue careers in industries such as finance, telecommunications, and manufacturing.

4. What are the prerequisites for a Ph.D. program in discrete mathematics?

Prerequisites for a Ph.D. program in discrete mathematics typically include a strong background in mathematics, including courses in calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. Some programs may also require knowledge of computer science and programming languages.

5. How long does it take to complete a Ph.D. program in discrete mathematics?

The length of a Ph.D. program in discrete mathematics can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, comprehensive exams, and research and writing of a dissertation. The exact timeline may also depend on the student's research topic and progress.