PF Costs: What are the Server & Maintenance Expenses?

• Thread starter lekh2003
  • Start date
In summary: Oh, I just realized how many times I've been summoned in this thread! :uhh: :tongue2:In summary, maintaining a forum like PF can be costly and involves a lot of effort. The server space needed for PF is about 25GB and the server itself accounts for only half of the costs. The rest go towards administrative, marketing, and maintenance tasks. While some work may be contracted out, a lot of it is done by the forum owner themselves. PF relies on unpaid volunteers to act as mentors, who work hard to maintain a clean and peaceful atmosphere for discussions.
lekh2003
Gold Member
I was just curious about how much effort and cost does it take to maintain PF. How much server space is needed to contain PF and how much does it cost to have that server working full time? Does Greg need to pay programmers and web-designers to maintain PF or does he simply do it himself? What are any other costs that Greg has to pay attention to?

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find a lot of information on this by searching the web "costs of running a forum website'

Here's a couple of references:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/for...ales-questions/136759-cost-of-running-a-forum

https://www.webhostingsecretreveale...tarting-and-running-a-forum-for-your-website/

and here:

https://www.quora.com/How-much-money-does-it-cost-to-set-up-a-website-with-a-forum

Most forum owners would be reluctant to answer a question such as this and indeed it may be difficult to compute the true costs as there are many variables involved especially since non net neutrality is lurking around the corner with tiered pricing.

jedishrfu said:
You can find a lot of information on this by searching the web "costs of running a forum website'
Thanks for the links they're very helpful (now I realize I could have searched this stuff:rolleyes:).
jedishrfu said:
Most forum owners would be reluctant to answer a question such as this
Yes, I understand why Greg might be reluctant, but I found my answers elsewhere in those links.

lekh2003 said:
I was just curious about how much effort and cost does it take to maintain PF. How much server space is needed to contain PF and how much does it cost to have that server working full time? Does Greg need to pay programmers and web-designers to maintain PF or does he simply do it himself? What are any other costs that Greg has to pay attention to?
Are you curious in the sense of starting your own community?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you curious in the sense of starting your own community?
No, no reason, just curiosity. Anyways, PF is everything I ever wanted in a forum, so I have no incentive.

Likes ISamson and russ_watters
lekh2003 said:
I was just curious about how much effort and cost does it take to maintain PF.

Hard to put into numbers, but a lot. There is a lot going on in the background. It's like a restaurant. What the community sees in the dinning area. Clean, peaceful, full of interesting dishes. But there is a busy kitchen area where the chefs work hard to maintain that atmosphere and make sure threads are tasty! Then there are the administrative, marketing and maintenance rooms making sure the bills are paid, promos sent, electrical, pluming and security etc working. I personally bounce between all 3 zones.

lekh2003 said:
How much server space is needed to contain PF and how much does it cost to have that server working full time?

A full compressed backup is about 25GB.

lekh2003 said:
Does Greg need to pay programmers and web-designers to maintain PF or does he simply do it himself?

I have occasionally contracted some work out that was beyond my skill and there is a bunch of public 3rd party addons that we modify, but a lot is me too.

lekh2003 said:
What are any other costs that Greg has to pay attention to?

The actual server accounts for only about half our costs. When you become as serious and large as PF a lot of things come into play. It does get expensive.

Last edited:
Likes davenn, ISamson, berkeman and 4 others
So PF mentors are the wait-staff ... or the dish washers?

Likes Spinnor
jedishrfu said:
Neither, they are unpaid slaves.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
No, they are unpaid slaves.

Says the doorman...

Likes davenn, fresh_42, lekh2003 and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
Hard to put into numbers, but a lot. There is a lot going on in the background. It's like a restaurant. What the community sees in the dinning area. Clean, peaceful, full of interesting dishes. But there is a busy kitchen area where the staff works hard to maintain that atmosphere. Then there are the administrative, marketing and maintenance rooms making sure the bills are paid, promos sent, electrical, pluming and security etc working. I personally bounce between all 3 zones.
I have occasionally contracted some work out that was beyond my skill and there is a bunch of public 3rd party addons that we modify, but a lot is me too.
The actual server accounts for only about half our costs. When you become as serious and large as PF a lot of things come into play. It does get expensive.
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. I appreciate it even more that I know the people running this site take so much effort so people like me can discuss physics.
jedishrfu said:
Doesn't feel as important any more?

Likes ISamson
No, I know we are really dementors... hahaha

but me I'm a robot so what do I know...

Likes ISamson, anorlunda, fresh_42 and 1 other person
jedishrfu said:

Try the chefs at a michelin 3 restaurant :biggrin:

Likes Spinnor, lekh2003 and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Yes, we deal in tires...
I shouldn't have assumed a robot knows about food :biggrin:

Likes fresh_42 and jedishrfu
Greg Bernhardt said:
I shouldn't have assumed a robot knows about food :biggrin:

You've not seen Forbidden Planet. I made 60 gals of quality liquor for the visiting chef...

Likes davenn, Spinnor, jtbell and 4 others
jedishrfu said:
You've not seen Forbidden Planet.
haha I own the movie, what a classic!

Likes davenn, RonL and jedishrfu
phinds said:
Neither, they are unpaid slaves.
Drummer to the scullers of the galley:
"I have good news and bad news!"
"The ratios of rum will be doubled."
"Now, the boss wants to water ski."

Likes phinds
jedishrfu said:
No its more like Ben Hur:
Except there are only 22 of you rowing that massive boat and there is an endless sea :wideeyed::-p:biggrin:

jedishrfu said:
I was a busboy at one summer job at a Wyoming truckstop. I'll be the busboy. o0)

berkeman said:
I was a busboy at one summer job at a Wyoming truckstop. I'll be the busboy. o0)
Table 5 is dirty, move move move! :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Except there are only 22 of you rowing that massive boat and there is an endless sea :wideeyed::-p:biggrin:
I have always enjoyed my part in helping train the mentors :wideeyed: :biggrin:

Likes OmCheeto
jedishrfu said:
We're the bouncers...

Mark44 said:
We're the bouncers...
I agree because that's exactly how it feels. The real wait staff are the members with all the honorable badges (all a ploy of slavery:wink:)

Likes S.G. Janssens
Greg Bernhardt said:
With an occasional rest stop on Bora Bora. :oldwink:

Likes Greg Bernhardt and jedishrfu
Greg Bernhardt said:
But there is a busy kitchen area where the chefs work hard to maintain that atmosphere and make sure threads are tasty!
You need this.
chef_hat.jpg

Attachments

• chef_hat.jpg
    chef_hat.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 395
Likes berkeman
I think a PF apron would sell more. Maybe that should be added to the PF store? :smile:

I only got to wear an apron as a busboy... :cry:

Likes dlgoff
I'm pretty messy. Probably I need a full apron.

Likes jedishrfu
Greg Bernhardt said:
Table 5 is dirty, move move move! [emoji3]
Is table 5 quantum gravity?

Greg Bernhardt said:

Is this a lot? I don't know what to make of this...

ISamson said:
Is this a lot? I don't know what to make of this...
This is about as much as about 20 1080p full-length feature films. It is quite a lot for a forum full of text. Also about a million word documents.

Likes ISamson
lekh2003 said:
It is quite a lot for a forum full of text.
We store more than text :wink:

Likes ISamson and lekh2003
Remember, every image uploaded in a post gets stored on the server. Also, in a fairly recent change (last year or so), all images linked from external sites are also uploaded automatically and stored on the server, to protect against "link rot."

jtbell said:
Remember, every image uploaded in a post gets stored on the server. Also, in a fairly recent change (last year or so), all images linked from external sites are also uploaded automatically and stored on the server, to protect against "link rot."
So the exorbitant size makes sense. Regardless, 25 GB is quite a lot for text and the occasional media. A single image might just be a few hundred kilobytes. There's a lot of PF.