Partial differential equations class with only calc III?

In summary, it is not recommended to take a PDE class without a solid understanding of ODE's first, as ODE's are a fundamental building block for solving PDE's. Taking a PDE class without prior knowledge of ODE's may lead to difficulties in understanding and solving problems. It is important to have a strong foundation in ODE theory in order to grasp both analytic and numeric techniques, especially for more complex coupled systems. While some simple PDE's can be reduced to ODE's, it is still necessary to have a solid understanding of ODE's in order to solve them effectively. It is recommended to take a proper differential equations class before attempting a PDE class. It is also advised to consult with a professor
-Dragoon-
And not taking ODE's? Is this doable? I understand the basics of most concepts as I am currently self-learning from online resources and textbooks, but I decided not take the class during the summer as I'm already taking calc III. The problem is that when the year starts up again PDE's is taught in first semester, while ODE's in second semester. Also, I want to take two third year courses that require PDE's as a prerequisite in second semester of next school year. So, would a basic knowledge of ODE's and calc III be sufficient for a PDE class?

Physics news on Phys.org
-Dragoon- said:
And not taking ODE's? Is this doable? I understand the basics of most concepts as I am currently self-learning from online resources and textbooks, but I decided not take the class during the summer as I'm already taking calc III. The problem is that when the year starts up again PDE's is taught in first semester, while ODE's in second semester. Also, I want to take two third year courses that require PDE's as a prerequisite in second semester of next school year. So, would a basic knowledge of ODE's and calc III be sufficient for a PDE class?

Hey Dragoon.

I wouldn't recommend it for a number of reasons, but one major reason has to do with the fact that simple PDE's like the heat equation reduce to ODE's.

You need to really understand ODE theory to have the groundwork not only for analytic, but just as important, for numeric techniques as well which are really critical to differential equations both partial and ordinary, especially for coupled systems (systems of differential equations).

I would strongly recommend you take a proper differential equations class as preparation for a partial differential equations class.

If you're doing Engineering PDE's I'd say go for it; otherwise, please take ODE first.

In Engineering PDE class you will likely do the wave equation, heat equation and Laplace's equation--they are really simple, straightforward ODE's (after solving them); however, if you are taking a Math class (as in the Math department) I would avoid it like the plague without ODE under my belt.

Experience: I did both versions of the class.

-Dragoon- said:

You solve pde's by decomposing them into ode's; usually in a class setting solving the decomposed ode's are easy so you might be ok.

I would say its a bad idea to take PDE's before taking ODE's given that you must know ODE's in order to solve most PDE's.

ZenOne said:
If you're doing Engineering PDE's I'd say go for it; otherwise, please take ODE first.

In Engineering PDE class you will likely do the wave equation, heat equation and Laplace's equation--they are really simple, straightforward ODE's (after solving them); however, if you are taking a Math class (as in the Math department) I would avoid it like the plague without ODE under my belt.

Experience: I did both versions of the class.

It is in the math department, but there are two types offered: One for science majors that is mostly applications, and another for math majors that is purely theoretical and proofs.

As to the general tone of the thread: I'm not going to take the class without a general understanding of ODE's. I have already said I am going to teach myself most of the concepts I would have already learned in a class through online resources and textbooks.

-Dragoon- said:
It is in the math department, but there are two types offered: One for science majors that is mostly applications, and another for math majors that is purely theoretical and proofs.
Ask one of the professors who teaches it, they would know way better then us. Most professors are glad to reply to emails sent to them about such inquiries. ODE's can be hard on their own, I have heard nightmares about PDE courses.

Have you taken linear algebra? We did a lot of linear algebra-related stuff in ODEs. I don't know a lot about PDEs, but that might be something to consider.

Related to Partial differential equations class with only calc III?

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A PDE is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe how a quantity changes over time and space.

2. What is the difference between a PDE and an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

A PDE involves partial derivatives, which take into account changes in multiple variables, while an ODE only involves ordinary derivatives, which consider changes in a single variable.

3. How is calculus III used in a PDE class?

Calculus III is used to understand and solve PDEs. It provides the necessary tools, such as multivariable calculus and vector calculus, to manipulate and solve these equations.

4. What are some real-life applications of PDEs?

PDEs are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to model and understand various phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and population growth.

5. How can I prepare for a PDE class with only calculus III as a prerequisite?

To prepare for a PDE class, it is important to have a strong understanding of concepts from calculus III, such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and partial derivatives. It may also be helpful to review some basic concepts from differential equations and linear algebra.