Overview of Physicsforums: Little Symbols, Extensions, Supermentors & More

• Thread starter physicsisphirst
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is happy with the community they have found on this forum, highlighting the helpful and positive behavior of its members and mentors. They are considering becoming a contributor and are interested in learning more about the various features and forums on the site. They also mention their confusion about the significance of the Kaku forum, which is a forum hosted on this site for discussions related to theoretical physicist Michio Kaku. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking Warren for providing them with helpful information.
physicsisphirst
from the little time I've spent here over the past few months, i am very happy with what I've seen.

there are some super neat people.
the mentors act effectively and with purpose.
the quality of posts are extremely high.
the way people help each other out is terrific.

all this is very different from other forums I've been on where people seem to be more interested in bickering than making the place better.

so i am contemplating addiction here and naturally becoming a contributor.

there are many things to know about this excellent place like

all the little symbols appearing beside threads
the different associated extensions to other forums
what a supermentor is
what a warning is
what a journal is - i apparently have one i see
what is the significance of the kaku forum
etc etc

is there any kind of an overview or tour of this place?
a newbie's guide?
some document that will outline all the neat things to find and do?

in friendship,
prad

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physicsisphirst said:
all the little symbols appearing beside threads
Blue folder - no new replies.
Yellow folder with letter sticking out - new replies.
Red folder with letter sticking out - many new replies.
A white superimposed arrow on any of the above means you have participated in the thread.
the different associated extensions to other forums
We have none. We do work with two newsgroups, sci.physics.research and sci.physics.strings. We currently host the forums for mkaku.org, but that may be changing soon.
what a supermentor is
A person who has mentor privileges in every subforum, not just a few.
what a warning is
A mechanism by which the staff can alert people when their behavior is inappropriate. The member receives a private message explaining the problem, and receives points. If the member receives more than 15 points, they are banned automatically for 21 days. (This system really only applies to spammers and other people who choose to ignore our site guidelines.)
what a journal is - i apparently have one i see
A place where each member can post his or her thoughts, like a public diary.
what is the significance of the kaku forum
We agreed to host the kaku forums a while back. They don't get much traffic these days, and Kaku himself never shows his face, unfortunately.

- Warren

wow!
ask and ye shall receive or what!
thanks warren!

in friendship,
prad

Related to Overview of Physicsforums: Little Symbols, Extensions, Supermentors & More

What are the little symbols next to usernames on Physicsforums?

The little symbols next to usernames on Physicsforums are called avatars. They are small images that users can choose to represent themselves on the forum.

What are extensions on Physicsforums?

Extensions on Physicsforums refer to additional features or tools that users can add to their forum experience. These can include browser extensions, plugins, or add-ons that enhance the functionality of the forum.

What is a Supermentor on Physicsforums?

A Supermentor on Physicsforums is an experienced and knowledgeable member of the community who has been recognized for their contributions in helping other users with their questions and providing valuable insights and explanations.

How can I become a Supermentor on Physicsforums?

To become a Supermentor on Physicsforums, you must consistently demonstrate a strong understanding of physics concepts and actively contribute to helping others on the forum. Supermentors are selected by the forum administrators based on their contributions and level of expertise.

What is the purpose of "Overview of Physicsforums: Little Symbols, Extensions, Supermentors & More"?

The purpose of "Overview of Physicsforums: Little Symbols, Extensions, Supermentors & More" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the various features and aspects of the Physicsforums community, including the use of avatars, extensions, and the role of supermentors in the forum. It aims to help new users navigate and make the most of their experience on the forum.