Easy ways you can support Physics Forums

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary, PF is a community of science and math passionate people from all over the globe. It is easy to use and provides a great resource for those seeking information. Participation is important, as is linking to PF on your website and social media profiles. The monthly costs are near four figures, so becoming a Gold member is a great way to help support PF. Finally, sharing PF content with friends and colleagues is a great way to get the word out.
Greg can we market the physicsforum in Africa. I believe many universities and colleges may have students who would be more than willing to become members. I am thinking of physicsforums creating an award to say best maths student or say best physics student award that would create a marketing platform for the forum and also an interest in the number of students/teachers who would be interested to subscribe.

Likes Math100
Physics news on Phys.org
Please spread this graphic on your social media accounts

PF_homework_help_share.jpg

Likes chwala and Math100
I think PF is a very excellent physics BBS, there are many enthusiastic and professional friends to explore the magic of physics together, every physics lover is willing to contribute to the development and expansion of PF according to their ability, persistence is victory!
The road to science is full of unknown, I think it is important to adhere to the spirit of seeking truth from facts, in the exploration of the road should be bold assumptions, relax restrictions, absorb more and more physics enthusiasts, such as: UFO power, perpetual motion, anti-gravity and other aspects.

You can either keep the forum dedicated to what is real or have endless discussions with crackpots about the topics you mentioned. You can't do both.
We* tried. Physicsforums had a "theory development" forum long ago which didn't have any topic limitations. It didn't work.

*impersonal "we", it was long before I joined here.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
You can either keep the forum dedicated to what is real or have endless discussions with crackpots about the topics you mentioned. You can't do both.
We* tried. Physicsforums had a "theory development" forum long ago which didn't have any topic limitations. It didn't work.

*impersonal "we", it was long before I joined here.

We even had a pseudoscience forum for the first few years!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I can imagine how difficult moderation was at that time.

Wrichik Basu said:
Moderation was different at that time :-p

Likes Wrichik Basu
vxiaoyu18 said:
relax restrictions, absorb more and more physics enthusiasts, such as: UFO power, perpetual motion, anti-gravity and other aspect
Greg Bernhardt said:
Wrichik Basu said:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Moderation was different at that time
..., in other words, "Thanks for the suggestions, but they've been tried before, and declared failures."

Likes dlgoff, Greg Bernhardt and Wrichik Basu
Maybe I can get the gold membership ship for this gesture?

troglodyte said:
Maybe I can get the gold membership ship for this gesture?
Indeed, where exactly is the link though?

Wasn't this link to my reddit profile not enough which I had posted yesterday ?Maybe you You can give me some straight instructions what you are concretely mean by this.

Thank you and best regards

troglodyte said:
Wasn't this link to my reddit profile not enough which I had posted yesterday ?Maybe you You can give me some straight instructions what you are concretely mean by this.

Thank you and best regards
Where is the PF link in your profile?

I posted it directly in my description where everyone can see it.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thank You!:smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I don't want support cause each time I want post, I see " Not open for further replies."
So forum useless.

• Sad
Likes etotheipi
eltodesukane said:
I don't want support cause each time I want post, I see " Not open for further replies."
So forum useless.
Is it because the threads that you want to post in are all very old? Or were they closed because they violate the PF rules? Can you post links to a couple of them?

Likes aaroman
eltodesukane said:
Yeah, there are times when a potentially interesting discussion reveals that the OP has issues with science or reality, and since it's the OP's thread, it ends up getting closed. In such cases, if you think there is an interesting discussion still to be had on the subject aside from the problems introduced by the OP, you have the option to start a new thread to get a better discussion going.

You have to be careful not to "restart a locked thread", since if it has the same problems it will just get locked right away as well. If you're ever not sure, please feel free to send a PM to me or any other Mentor to ask ahead of posting the new thread start.

I hope that helps. :smile:

Likes davenn, sysprog, aaroman and 1 other person
eltodesukane said:
So forum useless.
It is indeed useless for useless discussions like a person's nervousness. If you want e.g. to discuss Webb, then reference the mission statement, the differences to other probes etc. This way it would be a useful discussion If you want to talk about the weather, then PF is indeed not the place to go. I recommend fb.

• Haha
Likes chwala and (deleted member)
Greg Bernhardt said:
Order a PF T-Shirt
As low as $9.99! Wear your support around town and you'll amazed at the compliments you'll get!
These are quality shirts. When did these first became available? Anyway, I've worn mine for many years now.

Likes Math100 and fresh_42
Great ideas Greg!