Open and closed sets of metric space

In summary, open sets and open balls are related in that every open ball is an open set, but not every open set is an open ball. The complement of an open ball is a closed set, but the complement of an open set is not necessarily a closed ball. However, there are sets in a metric space that are both open and closed.
sampahmel

Homework Statement

I am using Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis to self-study.

1.) I learn that the complements of an open ball is a closed ball. And...
2.) Some subsets of metric space are neither open nor closed.

Homework Equations

Is something amiss here? I do not understand how both can be true at the same time.

Physics news on Phys.org
sampahmel said:

Homework Statement

I am using Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis to self-study.

1.) I learn that the complements of an open ball is a closed ball.
No. The complement of an open set is an closed set but the complement of a "ball" is not a "ball". An open ball is of the form [itex]B_r(p)= \{ q| d(p, q)< r\right}[/itex]. In R, an "open ball" is an open interval, (a, b). Its complement is [itex](-\infty, a]\cup [b, \infty)[/itex] which is closed but not a "ball".

And...
2.) Some subsets of metric space are neither open nor closed.

Homework Equations

Is something amiss here? I do not understand how both can be true at the same time.
I don't see what one has to do with the other. The complement of any open set is closed, the complement of any closed set is open. The complement of a set that is neither closed nor open is neither closed nor open. The "half open interval" in R, (0, 1], is neither closed nor open.

By the way, there also exists sets in a metric space that are both open and closed!

But I know that in any metric space, an open ball is an open set/ closed ball is a close set. Also, the complement of an open set is a closed set.

But then according to you,

The complement of an open ball is not closed ball.

So an open set is not an open ball?

There are open sets that are not open balls. For example, a set consisting of the union of two disjoint open balls is an open set, but it is not an open ball.

An open ball is a set consisting of all points less than a certain distance from a given point.

An open set is any set with the following property: no point is so close to the "boundary" that I can't center a suitably small open ball around that point, such that the ball is entirely contained in the set.

Every open ball is an open set but not vice versa.

Related to Open and closed sets of metric space

1. What is the definition of an open set in a metric space?

An open set in a metric space is a subset of the metric space where every point in the set has an open neighborhood contained within the set. This means that for every point in the set, there is a radius around that point within which all other points are also in the set.

2. How do you determine if a set is open or closed in a metric space?

A set is open in a metric space if all of its points have an open neighborhood contained within the set. A set is closed in a metric space if it contains all of its limit points, meaning all the points that can be approached arbitrarily closely from within the set.

3. Can a set be both open and closed in a metric space?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed in a metric space if it is the entire space or the empty set. In other words, the only sets that are both open and closed in a metric space are the whole space and the empty set.

4. How do open and closed sets relate to continuity?

In general, a function is continuous if and only if the preimage of any open set is an open set. This means that open sets are important for defining continuity, while closed sets can be used to define discontinuity.

5. What is the relationship between open and closed sets in a metric space?

In a metric space, a set is closed if and only if its complement is open. This means that open and closed sets are complementary to each other in a metric space, and both are necessary for defining the topology of the space.