Showing a Set is not Connected

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: X## iff there exists a point ##x \in C## such that ##|x-z|<d##. Then ##z## is contained in both ##C## and the interior of ##C##, contradicting the claim of the contradiction.I don't see the contradiction. Let ##\partial C := \overline{C} \cap (\overline{X-C})## be the boundary...##z \in X## iff there exists a point ##x \in C## such that ##|x-z|<d##. Then ##z## is contained in both ##C## and the interior of ##C##, contradicting the claim of the contradiction
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that ##X = \{z : |z| \le 1 \} \cup \{z : |z-2|<1\} \subset \mathbb{C}## is a connected set.

Homework Equations

Definition of connectedness that I am working with: A metric space ##(X,d)## is connected if the only subsets of ##X## that are both open and closed are ##\emptyset## and ##X##. If ##A \subseteq X##, then ##X## is connected if ##(A,d)## is connected

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been staring at this problem for quite some time and I don't really have much:

Let ##C \subseteq X## be nonempty and both closed and open. I want to show that ##X \subseteq C##. Let ##z \in X = C \cup (X-C)##. Then either ##z \in C##, in which case we are done, or ##z \in (X-C)##...I would like to show that the latter case implies a contradiction, but I am having difficulty.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to my book, they have to be disjoint open sets in order to conclude that ##X## is disconnected. The first set in the union is not open, if I am not mistaken.

Bashyboy said:
According to my book, they have to be disjoint open sets in order to conclude that ##X## is disconnected. The first set in the union is not open, if I am not mistaken.
You are correct -- both sets have to be open. I have deleted my earlier post.

Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that ##X = \{z : |z| \le 1 \} \cup \{z : |z-2|<1\} \subset \mathbb{C}## is a connected set.

Homework Equations

Definition of connectedness that I am working with: A metric space ##(X,d)## is connected if the only subsets of ##X## are ##\emptyset## and ##X##. If ##A \subseteq X##, then ##X## is connected if ##(A,d)## is connected
Shouldn't this be " A metric space ##(X,d)## is connected if the only subsets of ##X## that are both open and closed are ##\emptyset## and ##X##."?
X clearly has two subsets: {z : |z| ≤ 1} and {z | |z - 2| < 1}, but the first set is closed and the second set is open. Neither set is both open and closed.

I'm sure you already know this -- I'm just trying to clarify your statement above.
Bashyboy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been staring at this problem for quite some time and I don't really have much:

Let ##C \subseteq X## be nonempty and both closed and open. I want to show that ##X \subseteq C##. Let ##z \in X = C \cup (X-C)##. Then either ##z \in C##, in which case we are done, or ##z \in (X-C)##...I would like to show that the latter case implies a contradiction, but I am having difficulty.

Mark44 said:
Shouldn't this be " A metric space ##(X,d)## is connected if the only subsets of ##X## that are both open and closed are ##\emptyset## and ##X##."?
X clearly has two subsets: {z : |z| ≤ 1} and {z | |z - 2| < 1}, but the first set is closed and the second set is open. Neither set is both open and closed.

I'm sure you already know this -- I'm just trying to clarify your statement above.

Whoops! I fixed it.

Your set C is clopen iff its boundary is empty. Can you use this to show that ##z \in X - C## is a contradiction?

Bashyboy said:
Definition of connectedness that I am working with: A metric space ##(X,d)## is connected if the only subsets of ##X## that are both open and closed are ##\emptyset## and ##X##.
The usual definition goes by separation. Two sets ##A\, , \,B\subseteq X## are called separated in ##X## if ##\overline{A} \cap B = \emptyset ## and ##A \cap \overline{B} = \emptyset ##. Now ##X## is connected, if it cannot be written as union of two non-empty, separated sets.

So what you actually want to use is the equivalence of these two definitions: Your ##X## is connected, since the obvious choice of ##A## and ##B## are not separated (the second condition does not hold) and all other choices clearly neither.
If ##A \subseteq X##, then ##X## is connected if ##(A,d)## is connected.
?

If ##A \subseteq X##, then ##A## is connected if ##(A,d)##, i.e. ##A## with the induced topology from ##X## is connected.
However, one doesn't really need to use the detour of the induced topology.

Anyway, back to your proof. I cannot see, how the consideration of a single element ##z## could help, since we are talking about global properties.
Wouldn't it be more natural to consider ##A \cap C## and ##B \cap C## with the assumed clopen set ##C## and ##A=\{z:|z|≤1\}## and ##B=\{z:|z−2|<1\}##? Are they clopen as well? And what does this mean for ##X=A \cup B \;##?

Mark44 said:
Your set C is clopen iff its boundary is empty. Can you use this to show that ##z \in X - C## is a contradiction?

I don't see the contradiction. Let ##\partial C := \overline{C} \cap (\overline{X-C})## be the boundary (this is how my book defines it). If ##C## is clopen, then ##\overline{C} = C## and ##int ~C=C##, and therefore ##\partial C = C \cap (\overline{X-C})##. Since ##z \in X-C##, then ##z \in \overline{X-C}##; and since ##z \notin C = \overline{C}##, we can say ##z \notin \partial C##. But can conclude neither that ##\partial C## is empty nor nonempty.

Hold on! Wouldn't that say no point ##z## in ##X## is in ##\partial C##, and this would be the contradiction sought after?

What worries me is that the proof doesn't use any specific information about the metric space ##X## and the subsets ##A## and ##B##.

Bashyboy said:
What worries me is that the proof doesn't use any specific information about the metric space ##X## and the subsets ##A## and ##B##.
Probably because one doesn't need neither a metric nor the induced topology. Both are only used to describe the sets ##A## and ##B## in this example. For the properties in question, they aren't necessary.

Related to Showing a Set is not Connected

1. What does it mean for a set to be connected?

A set is considered connected if it cannot be divided into two non-empty subsets that are both open and disjoint. In other words, there is no separation or division within the set.

2. How can I show that a set is not connected?

To show that a set is not connected, you can try to find a separation or division within the set. This can be done by finding two non-empty subsets of the set that are both open and disjoint.

3. What is an example of a set that is not connected?

One example of a set that is not connected is the union of two open intervals on the real number line, such as [0, 1) ∪ (2, 3]. This set can be divided into two non-empty subsets, [0, 1) and (2, 3], which are both open and disjoint.

4. Can a set be both connected and disconnected?

No, a set cannot be both connected and disconnected. A set is either connected or disconnected, there is no in-between. However, it is possible for a set to be neither connected nor disconnected, in which case it is called a semi-connected set.

5. How does a set being connected or disconnected relate to its continuity?

A set being connected or disconnected is related to its continuity in the sense that a continuous function maps connected sets to connected sets, and disconnected sets to disconnected sets. This means that if a set is disconnected, there exists a discontinuous function that maps it to a connected set, and vice versa.