Online learning resources for advanced physics....

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to continue studying physics after discovering their chosen online school does not offer high level courses. They are disabled and unable to attend a traditional university, and are concerned about the high cost of other online learning options. They are also facing health issues and only have a short time left to live. The person is considering tutoring others or making scientific contributions in their remaining time, but others suggest using their savings to travel or set up a foundation instead. Some advise attending a traditional university for the college experience before their health fails completely.
sslash972
Hello people on this forum... I was wondering if someone has any advice for me or could at least push me in the correct direction.

I recently found out that the online school that I was planning to to go doesn't offer high level physics... Actually, it's more basic than I had leaving high school. I currently almost have a bachelors degree in 4 majors as I never really cared about the degree but I love to learn...

Physics is my absolute favorite field and I believe I could help to make useful advancements into the field... Maybe even get a job doing it but I am also disabled so going to a standard university is out of the question.

The places that I have seemed to find are extremely expensive and I would have to use about 2 1/2 years of savings that I could receive from the business that I currently own. I don't want to work that long just to start learning the high level stuff as I don't know how much time I have left to live. Have a failed liver, kidneys, lung, esophogus, stomach(whatever that means), and without a transplant, I would assume probably 2-3 years.

So, basically, does anyone have any ideas of how i could get into an online learning system? I definitely don't have enough money to go into the online courses that I have found, as they are usually over $50,000 annually. Any advice or form of help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there is no way to go into a regular university, maybe there is a place on the net where I could get taught increasing levels of physics and mathematics and use that to tutor the next generation. Thank you for taking the time to read this and possibly for any help...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to hear about your health. But there is something about your plans that I don't understand. You say that you may have 2-3 years to live, hopefully more. How do you expect in that time frame to learn enough advanced physics to be able to make useful advancements, get a job in the field, or tutor the next generation?

Likes sslash972
DrClaude said:
Sorry to hear about your health. But there is something about your plans that I don't understand. You say that you may have 2-3 years to live, hopefully more. How do you expect in that time frame to learn enough advanced physics to be able to make useful advancements, get a job in the field, or tutor the next generation?

He did say he didn't care about the degree, but loves to learn.

Dishsoap said:
He did say he didn't care about the degree, but loves to learn.
I didn't say anything about a degree. My reply wasn't about 2-3 years not being enough to earn a degree, but of 2-3 years being enough to learn enough advanced physics and making scientific contributions and tutoring others.

Likes Student100
If you only have a short time left to live, you should spend it doing something other than learning physics. Take that savings and see the world, or set up a foundation to provide small scholarships for physics students. Something, the knowledge you could gain in 2-3 years wouldn't be at all useful to physics itself.

If you realllllllly want to study physics, and feel this will bring you happiness, attend a university and at least get the "college experience" before your health fails completely. Traditional schools accommodate disabilities all the time, yours wouldn't be any different.

Related to Online learning resources for advanced physics....

1. What types of online learning resources are available for advanced physics?

There are a variety of online learning resources available for advanced physics, including interactive simulations, video lectures, online textbooks, and practice problems.

2. Are these online resources free to use?

Some online learning resources for advanced physics are free to use, while others may require a subscription or payment. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your needs and budget.

3. Can online learning resources effectively teach advanced physics concepts?

Yes, online learning resources can be an effective way to learn advanced physics concepts. These resources often offer interactive and engaging methods of teaching, and can be accessed at any time for self-paced learning.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using online learning resources for advanced physics?

One potential drawback of using online learning resources for advanced physics is the lack of face-to-face interaction with an instructor. It is important to supplement online learning with other forms of instruction, such as attending lectures or participating in study groups.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and credibility of online learning resources for advanced physics?

To ensure the accuracy and credibility of online learning resources for advanced physics, it is important to check the source of the information and look for reviews or recommendations from reputable sources. It can also be helpful to compare information from multiple sources to confirm its validity.