One Physics MS semester left - what courses to take?

In summary, Vanadium suggests that you should look into taking a proofs course in order to make the transition into more theoretical physics courses easier. Proofs may be helpful for your career, but it is important to consider what is available to you before making a decision.
blaughli
Hello all,

I've got one more semester before I earn my physics MS, and I have space for one or two extra courses. I am going into oceanography, and I would like to have a strong foundation in math in order to understand the theory I'll encounter as well as possible. Lots of physical oceanography papers that I glance at are very intimidating, for they seem to pull from some pretty high mathematics in addition to advanced fluid dynamics.

I never took a proofs course. I wish I had, since it's a "requirement" for taking upper div courses like PDE's and advanced linear algebra. So I'm wondering if I should rely on my experience proving things in physics classes to get me through those courses, or if it makes sense to take the slow road and do Proofs officially.

I guess I would also like to ask if these are the right courses to be thinking about, and if there are others that I should consider. I am planning on taking 2nd semester Jackson E&M to get a better grounding in radiation theory and the math that goes along with that.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should look at the engineering school and see if they have math classes, and you should look carefully at the offerings of the math department. MIT, for example, has the series 18.075/18.076 (formerly taught by the late Francis Hildebrand) which is most certainly not proof based.

Thanks Vanadium, it's a good idea for me to look at what's available online. 18.075 is Calculus for engineers. To be clear, I've taken all the math required for a BS in physics, and a couple "theoretical physics" courses (undergrad and grad level) where the essentials of the necessary math is covered.

What I really want to know is whether a formal proofs course will help a great deal if I'm on the more theoretical side of a physical science. I'll be dealing with lots of math; do people think that proofs has been a great boon to their career?

Related to One Physics MS semester left - what courses to take?

1. What courses are typically required to complete a Physics MS degree?

The specific courses required for a Physics MS degree vary depending on the university and program, but typically include classes in advanced mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and solid state physics.

2. Are there any elective courses that would be beneficial to take for a Physics MS degree?

Yes, some elective courses that may be beneficial to take for a Physics MS degree include astrophysics, cosmology, biophysics, and computational physics. It is recommended to discuss potential elective courses with an academic advisor to ensure they align with your academic and career goals.

3. Is it possible to take courses outside of the Physics department for a Physics MS degree?

Yes, it is often possible to take courses outside of the Physics department as long as they align with your academic and career goals. However, it is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure the courses will count towards your degree requirements.

4. Can I take courses at a different university for my Physics MS degree?

Some universities have partnerships or agreements that allow students to take courses at other institutions for credit towards their degree. It is important to check with your university and the other institution to see if this is possible and if the courses will count towards your degree requirements.

5. Are there any recommended courses to prepare for a career in a specific field of physics?

Yes, if you have a specific career goal in mind, it may be beneficial to take courses in that area of physics. For example, if you are interested in pursuing a career in renewable energy, taking courses in renewable energy technology and materials science may be beneficial. It is recommended to discuss your career goals with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action.