Once more with feeling another ideal gas question.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the increase in pressure inside a sealed can when placed in water of a higher temperature. The initial pressure and temperature are given and the equation P1/T1 = P2/T2 is used to calculate the increase in pressure. However, there is some confusion and mistakes made in the calculations, leading to a discussion of the correct approach to solving the problem.
QueenFisher
[SOLVED] once more with feeling! another ideal gas question.

the pressure inside a sealed can which is kept in a deep freeze at -23C is 0.8x10^5 N/m^2. If the can is placed in water of temperature 27C:

calculate the increase in pressure inside the can.

initially, pressure/temperature = 0.8x10^5 / 273-23
=320
afterwards, pressure 2 divided by (273+27) must equal 320 also. this gives pressure 2 as 96000Pa
increase in pressure = 0.8x10^5 - 96000
= -16000
but if the temperature increases, surely the pressure has to increase? since they are directly proportional??
or have i taken them away the wrong way round?

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure HAS increased. 96,000 is larger than 80,000 after all.

I think you need much more information to solve this. We have to find the finla temperature of the air in the can to solve the following.

Galileo said:
The pressure HAS increased. 96,000 is larger than 80,000 after all.

so i guess i was taking them away the wrong way around. man I'm stupid.

Or I think it has to be assumed that the temperature of the system becomes 300K when put in water nadwas 250K initially. Now use the same relation as you said - P1/T1 = P2/T2.
You have mistook the sign I would say. You made a silly mistake. Your problem solving is okay.

vaishakh said:
Or I think it has to be assumed that the temperature of the system becomes 300K when put in water nadwas 250K initially. Now use the same relation as you said - P1/T1 = P2/T2.
You have mistook the sign I would say. You made a silly mistake. Your problem solving is okay.

yeah that was the equation i was used, just in some weird convoluted form

Related to Once more with feeling another ideal gas question.

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas are directly proportional to each other. This means that as one of these variables changes, the others will also change in a predictable way.

2. How does the ideal gas law relate to "Once more with feeling another ideal gas question."?

"Once more with feeling another ideal gas question." is likely a specific question or experiment that is being conducted to test the validity of the ideal gas law. By using the ideal gas law, scientists can make predictions and calculations about the behavior of gases under different conditions.

3. What factors can affect the behavior of an ideal gas?

The behavior of an ideal gas can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and volume. Other factors that can influence the gas include the number of molecules present, the nature of the molecules, and the strength of the intermolecular forces between the molecules.

4. How is the ideal gas law different from real gases?

The ideal gas law is based on a set of assumptions, such as that the molecules of the gas have no volume and do not interact with each other. In reality, no gas behaves exactly like an ideal gas. Real gases have some volume and do experience intermolecular forces, which can affect their behavior under certain conditions.

5. What are some practical applications of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law has many practical applications, such as in the design of engines and other machinery that use gases, in the production and storage of gases, and in the study of atmospheric conditions. It is also used in industries such as chemistry, physics, and meteorology to make predictions and calculations about gas behavior.