On My Knees Need Help to transport a load of 1kg up a ramp.

You get a good grade for lazy?You need to design a transporter, A, that can transport a load of 1kg up a ramp. The transporter must be self-powered, made out of any materials, and have a maximum footprint of A4 size when deployed. Judging criteria will be based on a report that includes calculations and the distance the transporter can move the load up the ramp. In case of a tie, the transporter with the lower overall weight wins. Off-the-shelf components can be used in construction.
skyqwerty
On My Knees Need Help! to transport a load of 1kg up a ramp.

Homework Statement

Your group are required to design a transporter, A, which will be required to transport a load of 1kg up a ramp. The dimension of the ramp is shown in the figure below.

The requirement of the transporter are:

1. Can be made out of any materials. The design and development are at your own cost.
2. Must be self powered by any means such as solar energy, chemical reaction, potential energy etc. Must not be powered by any external sources such as battery or by external force such as pushing.
3. The maximum foot-print of the transporter must not exceed A4 size when deployed.
5. Judging criteria will be based on the report, which should include the critical calculation on how to move the transporter, loading forces etc. Marks will also be given in proportion to the distance the transporter manage to move the load up the ramp. In the event of a tie, transporter with the lower overall weight wins the contest.
6. You may use off-the-shelf components such as gears, wheels, screws etc to as part of the construction.
please help me ! giv me some ideas tat working!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi skyqwerty, welcome to PF! No reason to be panicked--unless it is due tomorrow! :smile:. You are going to have to show some work before you can get any help from this forum. You should generally explore a specific direction and the ask specific questions. You can start by doing some research, such as search the interweb for "potential energy powered car".

thanks a lot lewando! so i m going to search some info before i posting further questions: D, i feel great when i found this forum : D, but still i hope there are some ideas for me abt this assignment because i hardly get ideas :( (

i see the pattern of a potential energy car ( that using a rubber band), but is it really possible for the car to carry 1kg load and move up a ramp that 3 meter long and 0.5 meter high?

Last edited by a moderator:

How much work will be done to raise a car of "X"kg (mass of car) + 1kg (mass of load) up 0.5m? That should give you some idea of the amount of energy the car needs to have.

skyqwerty said:
Your group are required to design a transporter
How many students in your group? What ideas do they have for this?

in advance, thanks for d concern, we have 5 people a group, our idea is oni chemical reaction... but lucky i got help from kindly lewando, that is potential energy car, after i got some info, i nt really sure that there is enough potential energy for d car to transport a 1 kg load for a ramp that 3 meter long and 0.5m height...i am weak in practical, can u guys give me some ideas?

i nt really sure that there is enough potential energy for d car to transport a 1 kg load for a ramp that 3 meter long and 0.5m height...

Before going much further, you should want to know the answer to this question: Say the car has an unloaded mass of 1kg. How much energy (of whatever source) will be required to move it and the 1kg load up the ramp?

Have you seen those plastic drink-bottle rockets, where you pump air into an inverted half-filled 2 litre plastic bottle, then when it seems nearly ready to burst, you release it (upside down) and the ejection of water pushes the rocket skywards 10 m. Omit the water, and direct the release of pressure into a piston, you might be able to have the piston unwind some cord from around the vehicle's axle to give propulsion? Need more energy, use 2 bottles.

Just an idea.

is that mousetrap car capable to carry out this? how about weight powered car?using the 1kg load, is tat more likely to happen?

Make a ramp of the appropriate slope (which you haven't disclosed) and try dragging a 1kg pack of sugar up the slope balanced on a wheeled toy. You can judge the sustained effort needed. A mouse trap won't do.

Ramp is 3m long (hypotenuse or base?--not clear) and 0.5m high from prior post. How much energy is in a mousetrap? How would you measure it? How much energy do you need to lift 1kg a distance of 0.5m? The answer to these questions will give you an idea of how many mousetraps you would need (ideally, assuming no other losses). If you are too busy, put your teammates onto these questions.

lewando said:
Ramp is 3m long (hypotenuse or base?--not clear) and 0.5m high from prior post.

d car nid to travel 3 m(base) up d ramp, and d ramp is 0.5 m high, so it makes tan θ = 0.5/3
and θ is 9.46°

is tat mousetrap car really won't do? i haven't done any calculation..but we started this idea and going to find a big mousetrap.

How about a bear trap concept? or something similar... can be fabricated?

pro guys... i going to need some help...if this idea nt going to work then i need find another=.=

lewando said:
...How much energy is in a mousetrap? How would you measure it? How much energy do you need to lift 1kg a distance of 0.5m? The answer to these questions will give you an idea of how many mousetraps you would need (ideally, assuming no other losses). If you are too busy, put your teammates onto these questions.
Well?

Related to On My Knees Need Help to transport a load of 1kg up a ramp.

1. How do I determine the force needed to transport a 1kg load up a ramp?

The force needed to transport a load up a ramp is determined by the weight of the load and the angle of the ramp. The formula for calculating force is force = mass x acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is the force of gravity, which is 9.8 m/s2. So for a 1kg load, the force needed would be 9.8 N (newtons).

2. What is the ideal angle for a ramp to transport a 1kg load?

The ideal angle for a ramp to transport a 1kg load is not a fixed number. It depends on the force needed to transport the load and the friction between the ramp and the load. Generally, a shallower angle will require less force, but a steeper angle may be more efficient for certain surfaces.

3. How does the surface of the ramp affect the force needed to transport a 1kg load?

The surface of the ramp can greatly affect the force needed to transport a 1kg load. A smoother surface will require less force due to reduced friction, while a rougher surface will require more force. Additionally, a surface with more grip (such as rubber) may require less force than a slippery surface (such as ice).

4. Is it possible to transport a 1kg load up a ramp without any force?

No, it is not possible to transport a load up a ramp without any force. Even if the ramp is at a slight angle and the load may seem to roll up on its own, there is still a small amount of force being applied due to the force of gravity and any friction between the ramp and the load.

5. How can I decrease the force needed to transport a 1kg load up a ramp?

There are a few ways to decrease the force needed to transport a 1kg load up a ramp. One way is to reduce the weight of the load itself. Another way is to use a smoother surface for the ramp, or to add lubrication to the surface to reduce friction. Additionally, using a shallower angle for the ramp can also decrease the force needed.