Olympiads or Science Fairs: What Will Help Me Get Into Top US Schools?

In summary, the speaker is a high school student in India who has completed grade 10 and is looking to attend a top university in the US such as MIT, CalTech, or Harvard. They are considering participating in olympiads or science fairs to enhance their chances of getting into these schools. They are seeking guidance and wondering if being a Google/Intel science fair finalist would be more advantageous than winning an olympiad gold medal. The discussion also touches on the speaker's concerns about their own abilities and the importance of a holistic approach in college admissions.
cooleinstein
I am a high school student in India . I finished grade 10 this year . I have completed phyiscs upto the level of RESNICK HALLIDAY , i learned all high school mathematics and Single variable calculus . I want to go to US for college . So i want to get into schools like MIT/CalTech/harvard etc . But as these schools are very selective one needs to be highly accomplished to get into these schools .

I want to do something more than school stuff so i want to participate in olympiads or science fairs .

So i want to know which candidate will have a better chance of getting in , one with a olympiad gold or someone who is a GOOGLE/INTEL science fair finalist .

So give me some guidance​

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel as though it's less competitive to be an Intel/Siemens finalist than it is to win an olympiad gold medal. Though the question is, are you sure that you can do either? And why can't you pursue both options?

By the way, I got less than a gold medal at IPhO, and I still got into every college to which I applied. College admissions are holistic.

Yeah thanks man...anyone has any other opinion on this...please help

Related to Olympiads or Science Fairs: What Will Help Me Get Into Top US Schools?

What are the benefits of participating in Olympiads or Science Fairs?

Participating in Olympiads or Science Fairs allows students to gain hands-on experience with scientific research and experimentation, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and learn how to effectively communicate their findings to others. It also provides an opportunity to network with other students, professionals, and experts in the field.

How can I prepare for an Olympiad or Science Fair?

To prepare for an Olympiad or Science Fair, it is important to choose a topic that interests you and conduct thorough research on it. Develop a hypothesis and design experiments to test it. Practice presenting your findings and prepare for any possible questions. It is also helpful to attend workshops or seek guidance from teachers and mentors.

What are the judging criteria for Olympiads or Science Fairs?

The judging criteria for Olympiads or Science Fairs may vary, but generally, projects are evaluated based on the following criteria: scientific methodology, originality and creativity, depth of understanding, clarity of presentation, and relevance to real-world applications. Some competitions may also consider the impact and potential of the project.

Can I participate in Olympiads or Science Fairs as an individual or do I need a team?

It depends on the specific competition. Some Olympiads or Science Fairs allow individual participation, while others require teams. It is important to carefully read the guidelines and rules of the competition before deciding to participate as an individual or a team.

Are there any age or grade restrictions for participating in Olympiads or Science Fairs?

Again, it varies depending on the competition. Some Olympiads or Science Fairs have age or grade restrictions, while others are open to all students. It is best to check the eligibility criteria before applying to participate.