ODE system, plane-polar coordinates

In summary, an ODE system is a set of equations used to model changes over time in various fields. Plane-polar coordinates are a coordinate system often used to describe points in situations where radial and angular measurements are more convenient. ODE systems can be written in plane-polar coordinates and have various applications, including modeling celestial mechanics and describing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Solving ODE systems in plane-polar coordinates involves converting the equations into a system of first-order ODEs and using numerical or analytical methods.
Jason4
I have:

$\dot{x}=4x+y-x(x^2+y^2)$
$\dot{y}=4y-x-y(x^2+y^2)$

And I need to find $\dot{r}$ and $\dot{\theta}$

I got as far as:

$\dot{x}=r(\text{sin}(\theta)-\text{cos}(\theta)(r^2-4))$
$\dot{y}=r(-\text{sin}(\theta)(r^2-4)-\text{cos}(\theta))$

How do I go from here to $\dot{r}$ and $\dot{\theta}$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you're using the usual $x=r\cos(\theta),\;y=r\sin(\theta)$, then the product and chain rules give you
\begin{align*}
\dot{x}&=\dot{r}\cos(\theta)-r\sin(\theta)\, \dot{\theta}\\
\dot{y}&=\dot{r}\sin(\theta)+r\cos(\theta)\, \dot{\theta}.
\end{align*}
Plug all of these into your DE's. Can you continue from here?

Do I, for example, set:

$\dot{r}\cos(\theta)-r\sin(\theta)\, \dot{\theta}=r(\text{sin}(\theta)-\text{cos}(\theta)(r^2-4))$

and solve from there?

Jason said:
Do I, for example, set:

$\dot{r}\cos(\theta)-r\sin(\theta)\, \dot{\theta}=r(\text{sin}(\theta)-\text{cos}(\theta)(r^2-4))$

and solve from there?

[EDIT] You are correct. Do the same for the other equation. What do you notice about how $\dot{r}$ and $\dot{\theta}$ appear in those two equations?

Not sure yet, just messing around with the equations at the moment (any tips are always appreciated).

You can also use

$r \dot{r} = x \dot{x} + y \dot{y}$

$r^2 \dot{\theta} = x \dot{y} - y \dot{x}$

simplify and use $x^2+y^2 = r^2$ where possible.

Jason said:
Not sure yet, just messing around with the equations at the moment (any tips are always appreciated).
You can either use Jester's trick, or you can see that $\dot{r}$ and $\dot{\theta}$ appear linearly in the two equations. What does that suggest to you?

I ended up just solving the two equations:

$\dot{r}=r(4-r^2)$ and $\dot{\theta}=-1$

------------------------------

I found three non-equilibrium solutions:

$r=2$ and $\theta=-1$

When $r<2$, $\dot{r}>0$, so $r$ increases and solutions move out toward the $r=2$ circle.

When $r>2$, $\dot{r}<0$, so $r$ decreases and solutions move in toward the $r=2$ circle.

I assume this means the cycle is stable? The only problem I have is how do I determine if the trajectories are clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Last edited:
Jason said:

$r=2$ and $\theta=-1$

When $r<2$, $\dot{r}>0$, so $r$ increases and solutions move out toward the $r=2$ circle.

When $r>2$, $\dot{r}<0$, so $r$ decreases and solutions move in toward the $r=2$ circle.

I assume this means the cycle is stable? The only problem I have is how do I determine if the trajectories are clockwise or anti-clockwise?

You can solve this DE exactly. The $\theta$ DE is straight-forward integration, and the $r$ equation is separable.

Jason said:

$r=2$ and $\theta=-1$

Since $\dot{\theta} = -1$, then $\theta$ is decreasing meaning clockwise.

Related to ODE system, plane-polar coordinates

1. What is an ODE system?

An ODE system, or ordinary differential equation system, is a set of equations that describe how a system changes over time. It is used to model many physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What are plane-polar coordinates?

Plane-polar coordinates are a coordinate system in which a point is described by its distance from the origin and the angle it makes with a fixed reference direction. They are often used in situations where it is more convenient to describe a point using radial and angular measurements rather than Cartesian coordinates.

3. How are ODE systems and plane-polar coordinates related?

ODE systems can be written in various coordinate systems, including plane-polar coordinates. This allows for the modeling of systems with circular or rotational symmetry, which may be difficult to describe using Cartesian coordinates. Additionally, some ODE systems may be easier to solve in polar coordinates.

4. What are some applications of ODE systems in plane-polar coordinates?

ODE systems in plane-polar coordinates have many applications, including modeling celestial mechanics, such as the motion of planets and satellites, and describing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

5. How are ODE systems in plane-polar coordinates solved?

Solving ODE systems in plane-polar coordinates involves converting the equations into a system of first-order ODEs, which can then be solved using numerical methods or analytical techniques. These solutions can then be converted back to polar coordinates to obtain the solution for the original system.