How Does Coriolis Force Influence Particle Motion in Rotating Systems?

Bling Fizikst
Homework Statement
refer to image
Relevant Equations
refer to image
Source : JEE Advanced , Physics Sir JEE YT
Screenshot 2024-03-31 234456.png

Screenshot 2024-03-31 234636.png

I tried to attempt it using Lagrangian , so according to the coordinate axes given in the diagram , the position of the particle is let's say ##(0,d,-z)##
Let ##r## be the distance between the particle and the axis of rotation such that it subtends an angle of ##\theta## from the y axis .
So , ##-z=d\tan\theta\implies -\dot{z}=d\sec^2\theta \dot{\theta}##
$$\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{z}^2=\frac{1}{2}md^2\sec^4\theta \dot{\theta}^2$$
Now , writing the euler-lagrange equation and simplifying gives : $$\ddot{\theta}=-2\tan\theta \dot{\theta}^2$$
I am not sure how to deal with this .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that you use Newton's 2nd law in the frame of the rotating disk to derive the equation of motion for the particle. Setting up a Lagrangian would require introducing potential energy functions corresponding to the forces.

You are not choosing your x-y-z coordinate system as given in the problem. Note that it says "We assign x axis along the chord with origin at middle of the chord". The z axis is perpendicular to the disk. With this coordinate system, the y and z coordinates of the small block have trivial values. You only need to derive an equation of motion for the x coordinate.

Last edited:
TSny said:
I suggest that you use Newton's 2nd law in the frame of the rotating disk to derive the equation of motion for the particle. Setting up a Lagrangian would require introducing potential energy functions corresponding to the forces.

You are not choosing your x-y-z coordinate system as given in the problem. Note that it says "We assign x axis along the chord with origin at middle of the chord". The z axis is perpendicular to the disk. With this coordinate system, the y and z coordinates of the small block have trivial values. You only need to derive an equation of motion for the x coordinate.
Actually , i already saw the solution using frame of rotating disk , so , i wanted to try it out with lagrangian (if it makes stuff more straightforward) . Also , about the potential energies , can we find them ? for instance if we consider the x axis as the reference for gravitational potential energy then it's value will be zero . So , i am not sure how potential energy for the other forces will be generated . I have attached the figure , but i think it will lead to the same equation as above . Do you think it's worth trying with lagrangian though?
Screenshot 2024-04-01 022029.png

All motion takes place along the x-axis. Find an expression for the x-component of the net force acting on the particle as a function of ##x## (in the disk frame of reference): ##F^{net}_x (x)##.

Then, find a potential energy function ##V(x)## so that ##F^{net}_x (x) = -\dfrac {\partial V(x)}{\partial x}##. The Lagrangian will be ##L = T - V(x)##, where ##T## is the kinetic energy expressed as a function of ##\dot x##.

Of course, when you then set up the Euler-Lagrange equations, you will just get back ##m \ddot x = F^{net}_x (x)## which you could have written at the beginning. So, I don't see any advantage of the Lagrangian approach here.

Likes MatinSAR