Ocean in the Sky: Exploring a Hypothetical Scenario

In summary: The effective weight per area would not be the same by the way! The weight per area of the new sea floor would be the weight of the entire column of air and water above it - so the same as the weight of the column of air above the old sea floor, plus the weight of the column of water above the old sea floor. In other words, the difference in weight per area would be the weight of the floating ocean.Let's say someone tried to enter the "ocean" like a rocket coming from land and entering directly the ocean "bed", would it be crushed by water pressure as it was in a depth like, let's say, the
Bruno Carbone
Hi all!

In the absurd hypothesis that we could take all water from Earth's oceans and distribute it equally through the sky ceiling (as shown below). We have the point of view of an observer in the land.

95G6eLi.png

Questions:

1. We know that the water pressure rises as we come closer to Earth's core, so the "flying ocean" would have less pressure at its "bottom", right?

2. If the previous is true, would the pressure difference be considerably lower than actual seabed one?

3. If observer in land would be launched in the air, entering the "sky ocean" from the "bottom", would he be crushed by the seabed pressure as if it were submerging into the Mariana's Trech, for example?

I know this is fairly nonsense but it's a scenario for a fiction.
And I really need answers!

:)

Thanks people!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bruno Carbone said:
would have less pressure at its "bottom"

Define "bottom". Is it up (far from the observer) or down (close to the observer)?

Bruno Carbone said:
1. We know that the water pressure rises as we come closer to Earth's core, so the "flying ocean" would have less pressure at its "bottom", right?
Less than what?

If you magically exchange the current oceans with a layer of air as indicated in the sketch, the system is far away from an equilibrium: the air below will start at its old pressure, but suddenly all the water above pushes down on it - the water would fall down and compress the air below it. Shortly before the water reaches the surface, air pressure will be so high it gives some resistance to further compression - but then you still have something like 3km of water that fell down some significant distance and still moves downwards. It will completely crush everything on the surface. Shortly afterwards all the land is covered by 3km of water with some highly compressed air bubbles (the pressure at the surface is the same as it is now 3km below the ocean surface) moving upwards. The water will then start to rush back into the oceans, the flow rates should be sufficient to level down everything the flood reaches.

Bruno Carbone said:

2. If the previous is true, would the pressure difference be considerably lower than actual seabed one?

3. If observer in land would be launched in the air, entering the "sky ocean" from the "bottom", would he be crushed by the seabed pressure as if it were submerging into the Mariana's Trech, for example?

1. Compared to where the ocean bottom used to be? Maybe. It depends on the depth of the seafloor you're comparing the new one too. Very deep trenches in the current seafloor will have much higher pressures than the bottom of this floating ocean simply because the current ocean is much deeper at those locations than your new floating ocean would be.

2. Again, it depends on the depth of the seafloor that you're comparing the floating ocean too.

3. Probably, though the pressure wouldn't be nearly as much as the mariana's trench.

mfb said:
Less than what?

If you magically exchange the current oceans with a layer of air as indicated in the sketch, the system is far away from an equilibrium: the air below will start at its old pressure, but suddenly all the water above pushes down on it - the water would fall down and compress the air below it. Shortly before the water reaches the surface, air pressure will be so high it gives some resistance to further compression - but then you still have something like 3km of water that fell down some significant distance and still moves downwards. It will completely crush everything on the surface. Shortly afterwards all the land is covered by 3km of water with some highly compressed air bubbles (the pressure at the surface is the same as it is now 3km below the ocean surface) moving upwards. The water will then start to rush back into the oceans, the flow rates should be sufficient to level down everything the flood reaches.

Hi MFB,

Wow, they said this forum was good. :)
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, that's the case. And the outcome is what I've imagined. \o/
But my point is (and here I'll also answer jedishrfu: yes, it's a science fiction novel) that for some not important reason, the water will remain in the sky, causing the air pressure in the surface to increase. My doubt is that in this "suspended ocean" if it's bottom (that would be the highlighted red zone in the image as "High pressure zone", and from the observer point of view (as Borek said, down (close to the observer)) would have the same/equivalent pressure as the seabed since it moved away from the Earth's core.

The water would be distributed in the same depth on the sky ceiling, since we have enough space to allocate it and still have room for air down below.

Let's say someone tried to enter the "ocean" like a rocket coming from land and entering directly the ocean "bed", would it be crushed by water pressure as it was in a depth like, let's say, the Mariana's trench?

I hope I was clear this time... sorry if I confused you guys
:)

Last edited:
It is meaningless to ask "what would the laws of physics predict if the laws of physics do not apply".

Likes jedishrfu
Bruno Carbone said:
My doubt is that in this "suspended ocean" if it's bottom (that would be the highlighted red zone in the image as "High pressure zone", and from the observer point of view (as Borek said, down (close to the observer)) would have the same/equivalent pressure as the seabed since it moved away from the Earth's core.

I believe I already answered this in post #4. The gravitational forces is practically the same, still well over 99% of what it is on the surface, so the pressure per depth wouldn't change much in that area. Along with that there would be a slight drop in pressure since the weight of the atmosphere is no longer pressing down on the ocean (since it is underneath).

Related to Ocean in the Sky: Exploring a Hypothetical Scenario

1. What is the concept behind "Ocean in the Sky"?

The concept behind "Ocean in the Sky" is a hypothetical scenario in which Earth's atmosphere has been transformed into a giant ocean, with floating islands and creatures living within it. This scenario allows for exploration and study of a unique environment and its potential impact on Earth's climate and biodiversity.

2. How could this hypothetical scenario come to be?

There are several potential causes for the transformation of Earth's atmosphere into an ocean, including a drastic shift in climate patterns, a large-scale volcanic eruption, or even an extraterrestrial event such as a meteor impact. This scenario is purely hypothetical and has not occurred in reality.

3. How would the ocean in the sky affect Earth's climate?

The presence of an ocean in the sky would greatly impact Earth's climate, as it would change the amount of sunlight and heat that reaches the surface. This could potentially lead to drastic changes in weather patterns and temperature, as well as affect the growth and survival of plants and animals on land.

4. What kind of creatures could survive in this environment?

It is difficult to determine exactly what kind of creatures could survive in such a unique environment, as there are many unknown factors. However, it is possible that some marine life forms could adapt to living in the sky ocean, such as flying fish and birds, as well as new species that may evolve specifically for this environment.

5. What can studying this hypothetical scenario teach us about Earth and other planets?

Studying a hypothetical scenario like "Ocean in the Sky" allows scientists to explore the potential impacts of extreme environmental changes and how they could affect the planet and its inhabitants. This can provide valuable insights into how Earth's climate and ecosystems may respond to future challenges, as well as inform our understanding of other planets and their potential for hosting life.