Normal Stress in Rods Experiencing Temperature Changes

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of strain in a rod experiencing both thermal expansion and tensile stress. The person is having trouble understanding the reasoning behind the calculation and asks for clarification on their understanding. The professor explains that the displacement of point B to the right is represented by the variable ##\delta## and the change in length of rod AB is ##+\delta## while the change in length of rod BC is ##-\delta##. The total strain in rod AB is ##\epsilon=+\frac{\delta}{3L}## and the total strain in rod BC is ##\epsilon=-\frac{\delta}{2L}##. The relationship between tensile stress, total strain, and temperature change is also discussed,
Qube
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The rods are experience different temperature changes. Find the normal stress in rod AB.
Relevant Equations
Change in length of a rod due to temperature = alpha*temperature change*original length

Change in length of a rod due to a normal force: FL/AE
1603312932444.png

Now here is the part where I'm sort of stumped myself:

1603335819635.png

Could someone let me know if my reasoning is valid? The professor explained it during office hours and all I got out of that was that something cancels out and the answer is 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble understanding what you did. Let ##\delta## represent the displacement of point B to the right. Then the change in length of rod AB is ##+\delta## and the change in length of rod BC is ##-\delta##. So the total strain in rod AB is ##\epsilon=+\frac{\delta}{3L}## and the total strain in rod BC is ##\epsilon=-\frac{\delta}{2L}##. For a rod that experiences both thermal expansion and tensile stress ##\sigma##, the relationship between tensile stress, total strain, and temperature change is $$\sigma=E(\epsilon-\alpha \Delta T)$$

Likes Qube

Related to Normal Stress in Rods Experiencing Temperature Changes

1. What is normal stress in rods?

Normal stress in rods refers to the force per unit area that is exerted on a rod when it is subjected to an external load or deformation. It is a measure of the internal resistance of the rod to the applied load.

2. How does temperature change affect normal stress in rods?

Temperature change can cause the length of a rod to expand or contract, which in turn can lead to changes in the normal stress experienced by the rod. This is because the atoms in the rod vibrate more or less depending on the temperature, causing changes in the spacing between them and thus affecting the stress distribution within the rod.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and normal stress in rods?

The relationship between temperature and normal stress in rods is described by the coefficient of thermal expansion, which is a material property that measures the amount of change in length of a material per unit change in temperature. As the temperature increases, the coefficient of thermal expansion also increases, leading to a greater change in length and potentially higher normal stress in the rod.

4. How can I calculate normal stress in rods experiencing temperature changes?

The normal stress in a rod experiencing temperature changes can be calculated using the formula σ = EαΔT, where σ is the normal stress, E is the Young's modulus of the material, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This formula assumes that the rod is uniform and that the temperature change is small.

5. What are some practical applications of studying normal stress in rods experiencing temperature changes?

Studying normal stress in rods experiencing temperature changes is important for understanding the behavior of materials in various engineering applications. For example, it can help engineers design structures that can withstand temperature fluctuations without failure, or develop materials with specific thermal properties for use in different environments. It is also relevant in fields such as materials science, aerospace engineering, and civil engineering.