Noether's theorem in matrix form

Expert Name]In summary, we are considering a quantum mechanical system with a special unitary matrix U and a Lagrangian L=Tr[\dot{U}^{\dagger}\dot{U}]. We are asked to show that this Lagrangian is invariant under the symmetry transformation U->LU, where L is a time independent unitary matrix. Using the variation of Lagrangian equation, we can find the associated conserved quantity (J_L)_{ab}=-i(U\dot{U}^{\dagger})_{ab}. This shows that (J_L)_{ab} is constant and a Noether charge for the given Lagrangian under the given symmetry transformation.
Heirot

Homework Statement

Consider a quantum mechanical system described by the Lagrangian: [tex]L=Tr[\dot{U}^{\dagger}\dot{U}]=\sum_{a,b=1}^2{\dot{U}^{\dagger}_{ab}\dot{U}_{ba}}[/tex], where U is a 2x2 special unitary matrix.

Show that the Lagrangian is invariant under the following symmetry transformation: [tex]U\to LU[/tex], where L is a time independent 2x2 unitary matrix.

Use the Noether procedure to find the associated conserved quantity: [tex](J_L)_{ab}=-i(U\dot{U}^{\dagger})_{ab}[/tex].

Homework Equations

Variation of Lagrangian:

[tex]\delta L = \frac{d}{dt} (P_{ab}\delta U_{ab} + P^*_{ab}\delta U^*_{ab})[/tex]

where P_ab and P*_ab are canonical momenta for the independent variables U_ab and U*_ab, and summation over a and b is implied.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the form of the Lagrangian it is obvious that the transformation U -> LU does nothing to in. Therefore [tex]\delta L = 0[/tex] and the quantity under the derivation sign is a constant - Noether charge. I have a problem reducing it to the given form. What should I use for [tex]\delta U_{ab}[/tex] in this case?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach to the problem is correct. To find the Noether charge associated with the given symmetry transformation, we will use the variation of the Lagrangian equation you have provided. In this case, the variation of U will be given by \delta U = L\delta U. Substituting this into the equation and simplifying, we get:

\delta L = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \sum_{a,b=1}^2{P_{ab}L_{ab}\delta U_{ab} + P^*_{ab}L^*_{ab}\delta U^*_{ab}} \right)

Since \delta L = 0, the quantity under the derivative must be a constant, which we can define as the Noether charge (J_L)_{ab}. Simplifying further, we get:

(J_L)_{ab} = P_{ab}L_{ab} + P^*_{ab}L^*_{ab}

Using the canonical momenta for U and U*, we can write this as:

(J_L)_{ab} = -i(U\dot{U}^{\dagger})_{ab}

Therefore, (J_L)_{ab} is a conserved quantity for the given Lagrangian under the symmetry transformation U -> LU. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Noether's theorem in matrix form

1. What is Noether's theorem in matrix form?

Noether's theorem in matrix form is a mathematical principle that states that for every continuous symmetry of a physical system, there is a corresponding conserved quantity. This means that if a system's behavior remains unchanged under a certain transformation, there is a corresponding physical quantity that remains constant.

2. Who discovered Noether's theorem in matrix form?

Noether's theorem was originally formulated by German mathematician Emmy Noether in 1915. However, the matrix form of the theorem was later developed and published by mathematician Hermann Weyl in 1928.

3. What are some real-world applications of Noether's theorem in matrix form?

Noether's theorem in matrix form has many applications in various fields of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. It is often used to analyze and understand symmetries in physical systems, as well as to derive conservation laws for energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

4. What is the difference between Noether's theorem in matrix form and the classical version?

The classical version of Noether's theorem deals with symmetries in the equations of motion of a physical system, while the matrix form of the theorem deals with symmetries in the underlying Lagrangian or Hamiltonian of the system. The matrix form is more general and can be applied to a wider range of physical systems.

5. How is Noether's theorem in matrix form related to the principle of least action?

Noether's theorem in matrix form is closely related to the principle of least action, which states that the actual path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, a mathematical quantity that describes the system's behavior. Noether's theorem shows that symmetries in the action lead to conserved quantities, providing a deeper understanding of the principle of least action.