No problem! Good luck with your homework.

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle's equation of motion in vector form and how to show that it moves with a constant speed. The velocity and acceleration of the particle are calculated, and it is verified that the dot product of the two is equal to zero. The conceptual question of whether the magnitude of acceleration must also be constant is discussed, with the answer being yes for general cases and dependent on the calculated theta for this specific problem.
RyanH42

Homework Statement

A particle moves so that its equation of motion in vector form given is given by ##\vec{R}=((sint^-1)/2+t/2√(1-t^2))\vec{i}+1/2t^2\vec{j}## , ##0≤t<1##
a)Show that particle moves with a constant speed.
b)Compute ##\vec{v}## and ##\vec{a}##,and verify that ##\vec{v}##.##\vec{a}##=0 (dot product).(As it should be when speed is constant
c)Since the magnitude of speed is constant ,must the magnitude of acceleration also be constant ?

Homework Equations

##\vec{v}=d\vec{R}/dt##
##\vec{a}=d\vec{v}/dt##

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I have to do ##\vec{v}=d\vec{R}/dt## and then I have to do this ##\|\vec{v}\|##.If ##\|\vec{v}\|## this do not contain t it means ##\|\vec{v}\|## is constant
I understad b)
For c)##\vec{v}##.##\vec{a}##=0 this means ##\|\vec{v}\|.\|\vec{a}\|.cosθ=0## we know that ##\|\vec{v}\|## is not zero so there's two option 1) ##\|\vec{a}\|## will be zero or ##cosθ## will be ##0##.If ##cosθ## is zero then there's no need to be constant magnitude of ##\vec{a}##.I think answer is no.Theres a chance to be not constant.
Is my answers are true ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think 'c' is a conceptual question. You don't need any form of equation to answer the question.

Your reply did not help me

Your reasoning for c) is good.
I can't comment on a) and b) because I'm not sure what the given equation for R is saying, but you appear happy with your answers to those.

Likes RyanH42
RyanH42 said:
Your reply did not help me

Sorry about that. Here, to clear things up.

a.) Yes, this is correct. The velocity of the particle is constant if the first derivative of your position vector is constant, or if its second derivative is zero (both with respect to time).
c.) This is conceptual if you consider the question for general cases, that is, for all position vectors with a constant velocity. However, if the question is only for this problem in particular, you can calculate ##\theta##.

Likes RyanH42
ecastro said:
Sorry about that. Here, to clear things up.

a.) Yes, this is correct. The velocity of the particle is constant if the first derivative of your position vector is constant, or if its second derivative is zero (both with respect to time).
c.) This is conceptual if you consider the question for general cases, that is, for all position vectors with a constant velocity. However, if the question is only for this problem in particular, you can calculate ##\theta##.
Ok,I get the idea.I can calculate the ##cosθ## Actually question b is asked for that I guessThanks for help.

Related to No problem! Good luck with your homework.

1. What causes particles to move in space?

Particles in space can be influenced by a variety of forces, including gravity, magnetic fields, and radiation. These forces can cause particles to accelerate and move in a specific direction.

2. How does the motion of particles in space affect the universe?

The motion of particles in space plays a crucial role in shaping the universe. It can impact the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets, as well as contribute to processes such as stellar evolution and the creation of new elements.

3. What is the difference between particle motion in space and on Earth?

The primary difference is the presence of gravity. In space, particles are not subject to the same gravitational pull as on Earth, which allows them to move in different ways and at different speeds. Additionally, particles in space are exposed to other forces that are not present on Earth, such as solar wind and cosmic rays.

4. Can particles in space travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the fastest speed at which any particle can travel. While particles in space can reach incredibly high speeds, they cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. How do scientists study particle motion in space?

Scientists use a variety of instruments and techniques to study particle motion in space, including telescopes, satellites, and spacecraft. They also analyze data and images collected from these instruments to gain a better understanding of the behavior and properties of particles in space.