Nicole: Pursuing an Astrophysics PhD

In summary, Nicole is pursuing a PhD in astrophysics, driven by her fascination with the mysteries of the universe and her desire to contribute to scientific research. She has a strong background in physics and mathematics, and has already made significant contributions to the field through her undergraduate research. With her determination and passion, Nicole is well on her way to becoming a leading astrophysicist and making groundbreaking discoveries in the field.
nmb
Hi, I am a new user :oldbiggrin:

My name is Nicole and I am interested in the astrophysics PhD program. I have a bachelor's degree in biology (final GPA 3.68) and I'm currently doing my masters degree in biotechnology in Puerto Rico. I don't have research experience so far, but I have recently been given the opportunity to conduct one with undergraduate students and we are very excited to say we wish to take the steps necessary to publish, with the help of our department.

Having previously been interested in medicine, most of my elective classes during my bs were health related, for example cellular physiology and embryology. I also have laboratory experience as voluntary work, where I have gained useful tools, such as knowledge working with inventory and the proper use of certain equipment. I also took required math courses up until calculus I (all A's)

I realize being a biotechnology student, that my field experience may not be beneficial for a program in astrophysics, however, I consider myself a fast learner and, if required, could study any given topic in my own time at home.

I realize my goal may be too optimistic and that I may very well be too late because I cannot pay for another bs degree, and I have heard that this field requires attention early on. But if there is a way, this may be the best forum to find out because much of the information available is intended for students within the field (naturally) and I am completely new to this academic field.

So, my questions are:Is a bs degree in biology and a ms in biotechnology acceptable for candidates pursuing astrophysics?

Is there any useful advice or tools for students out of the field who are very much interested in pursuing this path?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nicole,

You probably already know the answer to this. If you want to get into graduate school for astrophysics you need a degree in physics. Programs will often accept people with majors that are closely related, such as astronomy, physical chemistry or engineering physics, maybe certain applied mathematics streams, but the probability of acceptance drops off rapidly the less relevant the material becomes. Unfortunately a master's degree in biotechnology is unlikely to qualify you.

A good place to start reading for more detail is ZapperZ's thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/

Likes nmb
Choppy said:
Hi Nicole,

You probably already know the answer to this. If you want to get into graduate school for astrophysics you need a degree in physics. Programs will often accept people with majors that are closely related, such as astronomy, physical chemistry or engineering physics, maybe certain applied mathematics streams, but the probability of acceptance drops off rapidly the less relevant the material becomes. Unfortunately a master's degree in biotechnology is unlikely to qualify you.

A good place to start reading for more detail is ZapperZ's thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/
Thank you so much for your time. And you are correct, I expected this answer but hoped that biology might serve as "closely related", and that the laboratoryear experience from biotechnology might be useful as well.

Thanks again!

You're going to have a lot of math to learn as well if you only took up to Calc 1. A typical physics undergrad needs to know the calc sequence (calc 1-3), linear algebra, ordinary and partial differential equations, and real and complex analysis. I would recommend either retaking calc 1 or self studying it to review and fill in any knowledge gaps/clarify things, since it sounds like you only really did the required math to get it done and didn't plan on using it or studying it further.

Niflheim said:
You're going to have a lot of math to learn as well if you only took up to Calc 1. A typical physics undergrad needs to know the calc sequence (calc 1-3), linear algebra, ordinary and partial differential equations, and real and complex analysis. I would recommend either retaking calc 1 or self studying it to review and fill in any knowledge gaps/clarify things, since it sounds like you only really did the required math to get it done and didn't plan on using it or studying it further.

Hi, yes I did take the requirements for med school as it was my intention. Interestingly you mention self study, something I can do well, but after reading the last post I would think self study would'not take me far. Would you care to give an opinion towards how self studying could help given my degrees? meaning : if I know my topics, without a physics background, am I a potential competitor?

Thank you so much for your advice, very useful!

ZapperZ goes into detail here. Self Study for math is good, as it forces you to figure it out for yourself using only a textbook, but there will be many roadbumps depending on your math talent. The most important math classes to take formally I believe are Complex Analysis (real is first, complex is more difficult), Linear Algebra (very abstract, hard for most people to self study), and Ordinary Differential Equations (partial is more advanced, but imo it is not too hard to adapt ordinary to partial, pretty intuitive if you really think about it and have a good textbook). Obviously formal classes combined with self study are best, but prioritize those (being sure to go in the proper order). Consult this for math self study:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-self-study-mathematics.804404/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/self-studying-mathematics-discussion.804406/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes nmb
Niflheim said:

ZapperZ goes into detail here. Self Study for math is good, as it forces you to figure it out for yourself using only a textbook, but there will be many roadbumps depending on your math talent. The most important math classes to take formally I believe are Complex Analysis (real is first, complex is more difficult), Linear Algebra (very abstract, hard for most people to self study), and Ordinary Differential Equations (partial is more advanced, but imo it is not too hard to adapt ordinary to partial, pretty intuitive if you really think about it and have a good textbook). Obviously formal classes combined with self study are best, but prioritize those (being sure to go in the proper order). Consult this for math self study:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-self-study-mathematics.804404/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/self-studying-mathematics-discussion.804406/
Excelent! I will look into these, and again thank you so much for the detailed answer, this gives me a solid idea of the challenges ahead!

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem

As others have said, someone with a bachelor's in biology is significantly underprepared for a graduate degree in physics. Similarly, someone with a bachelor's in physics would be completely unprepared for a graduate degree in biology. They're very different fields. There are obviously elements of biology and physics that can overlap a great deal - this is why there's an entire field called biophysics. However, that doesn't mean that these fields are interchangeable.

Physics majors take at least calculus 1, 2, and 3, plus differential equations and linear algebra, and often some other math electives like statistics and probability, partial differential equations, and various other courses. How much physics have you taken? Astrophysics is, first and foremost, a branch of physics. Someone intending to pursue a graduate degree in astrophysics is likely to major in physics, which requires a 3 semester introductory physics sequence, along with a couple semesters each of upper level classical mechanics, electricity & magnetism, and quantum mechanics, along with upper level courses in thermal and statistical physics, optics (sometimes), and usually a couple of upper level physics lab courses. One that intended to pursue graduate studies in astrophysics is likely to also declare an astronomy minor, which would include somewhere from 4-6 courses in astronomy. One would also take all of the relevant math and likely a course or two in computer programming.

People that come in from similar majors like engineering or chemistry (majors that require many of these classes anyway) can often transition into grad school in physics a little more easily. Biology isn't really a similar major in most respects. It obviously overlaps with the field in some ways, but it's a fundamentally different type of scientific discipline.

QuantumCurt said:
As others have said, someone with a bachelor's in biology is significantly underprepared for a graduate degree in physics. Similarly, someone with a bachelor's in physics would be completely unprepared for a graduate degree in biology. They're very different fields. There are obviously elements of biology and physics that can overlap a great deal - this is why there's an entire field called biophysics. However, that doesn't mean that these fields are interchangeable.

Physics majors take at least calculus 1, 2, and 3, plus differential equations and linear algebra, and often some other math electives like statistics and probability, partial differential equations, and various other courses. How much physics have you taken? Astrophysics is, first and foremost, a branch of physics. Someone intending to pursue a graduate degree in astrophysics is likely to major in physics, which requires a 3 semester introductory physics sequence, along with a couple semesters each of upper level classical mechanics, electricity & magnetism, and quantum mechanics, along with upper level courses in thermal and statistical physics, optics (sometimes), and usually a couple of upper level physics lab courses. One that intended to pursue graduate studies in astrophysics is likely to also declare an astronomy minor, which would include somewhere from 4-6 courses in astronomy. One would also take all of the relevant math and likely a course or two in computer programming.

People that come in from similar majors like engineering or chemistry (majors that require many of these classes anyway) can often transition into grad school in physics a little more easily. Biology isn't really a similar major in most respects. It obviously overlaps with the field in some ways, but it's a fundamentally different type of scientific discipline.

Hi, thank you for your time! I understand what you are saying, and because getting another bs would be insane right now, what with all the expenses implied (all thought truth be told I wish I could go back and get a bs in physics). I guess like someone mentioned earlier I should have expected this, I got carried away because this is really something I would love to do.

Thank you again for your time and valuable information.

Related to Nicole: Pursuing an Astrophysics PhD

1. What is an Astrophysics PhD?

An Astrophysics PhD is a graduate degree in the field of astrophysics, which focuses on the study of the physical and chemical properties of celestial objects such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It typically involves conducting original research, publishing scientific papers, and defending a dissertation.

2. What qualifications are required for pursuing an Astrophysics PhD?

To pursue an Astrophysics PhD, you typically need a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, astronomy, or mathematics. You may also need to have a strong background in computer programming, statistics, and advanced mathematics. Additionally, having research experience, strong analytical skills, and a passion for astrophysics are important qualifications.

3. What career opportunities are available with an Astrophysics PhD?

An Astrophysics PhD can open up a wide range of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Graduates can pursue careers as research scientists, professors, data analysts, science writers, and consultants in various fields such as astronomy, aerospace, government agencies, and private companies.

4. How long does it take to complete an Astrophysics PhD program?

The duration of an Astrophysics PhD program can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and writing and defending a dissertation. The exact length of the program may also depend on factors such as the individual's research progress and the requirements of their specific program or institution.

5. Is it necessary to have a specific research topic in mind before applying for an Astrophysics PhD program?

While some programs may require applicants to have a specific research topic in mind, it is not always necessary to have one before applying for an Astrophysics PhD program. Many programs allow students to explore different research areas before choosing a specific topic for their dissertation. However, having a general research interest or area of focus may be beneficial in the application process.