Negative Sensible Heat Flux at Earth's Surface

In summary, during nighttime, sensible heat flux near the Earth's surface is negative as the Earth's surface cools and heat is conducted and convected from the air to the surface. This is in contrast to daytime when sensible heat flux is positive as the surface warms and heat moves away from the surface through convection.
AppeltjeBosheuvel
I'm a bit confused as to how to imagine a negative sensible heat flux near the Earth's surface. Negative means that sensible heat is moving towards the surface. My book states that that would mainly occur at nighttime.

During day there is a positive sensible heat flux and sensible heat moves away from the surface.
I can imagine that during the day, due to solar radiation, the surface warms up and air rises through convection and sensible heat is therefor moving away from the surface, being positive.

During night the surface cools rapidly. Here, sensible heat is positive. But how does, during nighttime, sensible heat move downwards? I can't seem to grasp the concept.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
AppeltjeBosheuvel said:
I'm a bit confused as to how to imagine a negative sensible heat flux near the Earth's surface. Negative means that sensible heat is moving towards the surface. My book states that that would mainly occur at nighttime.

During day there is a positive sensible heat flux and sensible heat moves away from the surface.
I can imagine that during the day, due to solar radiation, the surface warms up and air rises through convection and sensible heat is therefor moving away from the surface, being positive.

During night the surface cools rapidly. Here, sensible heat is positive. But how does, during nighttime, sensible heat move downwards?
I had to Google the term sensible heat: "In meteorology, the term 'sensible heat flux' means the conductive heat flux from the Earth's surface to the atmosphere"

At night, the Earth's surface is able to cool by radiating heat away into the night sky. By contrast, the air is transparent at the relevant wavelengths and neither emits nor absorbs -- it cannot effectively radiate its heat away. This means that the Earth's surface becomes cooler than the air around it. With the surface colder than the air, heat naturally conducts and convects from air to Earth.

Among other things, radiative cooling and the associated local cooling of the air is responsible for dew on the grass in the morning.

Related to Negative Sensible Heat Flux at Earth's Surface

1. What is negative sensible heat flux at Earth's surface?

Negative sensible heat flux at Earth's surface refers to the transfer of heat energy from the Earth's surface to the atmosphere. It is considered negative when the air near the Earth's surface is cooler than the surface itself, causing heat to be transferred away from the surface.

2. How does negative sensible heat flux affect the Earth's climate?

Negative sensible heat flux plays a significant role in regulating the Earth's climate. It helps to cool the Earth's surface by transferring heat away from it, which can help to counteract warming caused by other factors such as greenhouse gases. It also influences the formation of clouds and precipitation, which can impact regional and global weather patterns.

3. What are some factors that can contribute to negative sensible heat flux?

Factors that can contribute to negative sensible heat flux include wind speed, air temperature, and surface properties such as vegetation cover or water content. For example, on a windy day, heat can be more easily transferred away from the Earth's surface, resulting in a stronger negative sensible heat flux.

4. How is negative sensible heat flux measured?

Negative sensible heat flux is typically measured using instruments such as eddy covariance systems, which use sensors to measure temperature and wind speed at different heights above the Earth's surface. These measurements are then used to calculate the heat energy being transferred from the surface to the atmosphere.

5. Can negative sensible heat flux be influenced by human activities?

Yes, human activities can influence negative sensible heat flux through land use changes, such as deforestation or urbanization, which can alter surface properties and impact the transfer of heat energy. Climate change caused by human activities can also affect wind patterns and air temperatures, which can in turn impact negative sensible heat flux at the Earth's surface.