Need help with astronomy details in a book.

In summary, the protagonist is an astronomer and is working on a paper about a parameter study that could lead to enhanced planetesimal formation.
DHF
Hi and thanks in advance for any help. The book I am currently working on features a protagonist that is an astronomer, I was hoping those more knowledgeable then I could check the passage where she describes her work and make sure it doesn't sound like gibberish.

much appreciated.

"Though she did get tired of people asking her what she did for a living. The very long answer was that she used a lot of the principles of physics and mathematics to learn more about the universe. Her particular position was to gather data on a parameter study of the possibility of tidally triggered disc instability, which she believed could theoretically could lead to enhanced planetesimal formation in the outer regions of the protoplanetary disc and could therefore be relevant for the existence of Neptune. She was leading up to writing a scientific paper to present to the field. The short answer, how and possibly why Neptune existed."

Physics news on Phys.org
Too long, did not read

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm neither, but that sounds more like a job for an astrophysicist. Astronomers can be both thought.

DHF said:
Hi and thanks in advance for any help. The book I am currently working on features a protagonist that is an astronomer, I was hoping those more knowledgeable then I could check the passage where she describes her work and make sure it doesn't sound like gibberish.

much appreciated.

"Though she did get tired of people asking her what she did for a living. The very long answer was that she used a lot of the principles of physics and mathematics to learn more about the universe. Her particular position was to gather data on a parameter study of the possibility of tidally triggered disc instability, which she believed could theoretically could lead to enhanced planetesimal formation in the outer regions of the protoplanetary disc and could therefore be relevant for the existence of Neptune. She was leading up to writing a scientific paper to present to the field. The short answer, how and possibly why Neptune existed."

It doesn't sound gibberish, all the terms used are relevant in planet formation theory. Though I would feel uneasy if I heard it in a planet formation conference. It is thought that gas giants can form from gravitational disc instabilities (which can be tidally triggered) in the outer regions of protoplanetary discs via fragmentation collapse not via planetesimals as the time scales involved might be too long. However, Neptune could have indeed formed much closer in via planetesimals and then migrated outwards to its present location (see the Nice mode), but in this model disc instability wouldn't be that relevant.
newjerseyrunner said:
but that sounds more like a job for an astrophysicist. Astronomers can be both thought.
In my experience the two terms are often interchangeable. Also it's not uncommon for an astronomer to work on this sort of thing at all, especially if they're primarily working on gathering data as the paragraph points out.

Likes DHF
Thank you very much. I don't mind her sounding controversial, it actually gives her and the other character something to argue about. I just wanted to make sure she sounded like an astronomer as I am not.

Likes HossamCFD

Related to Need help with astronomy details in a book.

1. What is astronomy?

Astronomy is the scientific study of celestial objects such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It involves using observations and theories to understand the physical and chemical properties of these objects and how they interact with each other.

2. How does astronomy relate to the book?

The book may use astronomy as a setting, as a basis for its plot, or as a source of information for its characters. It may also explore themes and ideas related to astronomy, such as space exploration, the origins of the universe, and the search for extraterrestrial life.

3. What are some common details in astronomy that may be included in the book?

Some common details in astronomy that may be included in the book are descriptions of celestial objects, such as the appearance and movements of stars and planets, the phases of the moon, and the patterns of constellations. The book may also mention scientific concepts and theories related to astronomy, such as the Big Bang theory and the formation of the solar system.

4. How can I ensure accuracy in my book when including astronomy details?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to research and fact-check any astronomy details included in the book. This can involve consulting reliable sources, such as scientific journals and textbooks, and seeking the advice of experts in the field. Additionally, incorporating feedback from beta readers or sensitivity readers who have knowledge in astronomy can also help improve accuracy.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about astronomy that should be avoided in the book?

Some common misconceptions about astronomy that should be avoided in the book include portraying the universe as static and unchanging, or implying that Earth is the center of the universe. It is also important to avoid perpetuating false information or myths about celestial objects and phenomena, such as the belief that the moon affects human behavior or that the stars can predict the future.