Need help setting a career path for the Space industry

In summary, the individual expresses their passion for the space industry and astronomy and their desire to work in that field. Their plan is to major in physics and engineering, then obtain a Ph.D in physics. They ask for advice on the best way to achieve their goal and the importance of school and professors in the process. The expert suggests avoiding switching fields and having access to undergraduate research and renowned professors. They also mention the potential benefits of double majoring in physics and engineering, but assure the individual that it is not necessary for their goal."
jkoster09
I'm sure this is all something you hear a lot on this message board but I'd like to say it nonetheless. The space industry and astronomy at large are some of the only things I've ever felt passion for. I'd like nothing more than to work in that industry. My current plan is to major in physics and engineering (of some kind), and then get a Phd. in physics. I'm not afraid of any amount of work, so long as it gives me the best chance to do what I want.

Is this a reasonable way to get to my goal? Is my goal in itself reasonable? What kind of engineering should I do in order to be best prepared for this field? Beyond being accredited and having a decent reputation, does school matter that much? I understand that you got to a separate school for your PhD., should I go to the local college which would be dirt cheap for me, then transfer somewhere more prestigious in terms of physics, or find two good schools? (I have the University of Texas at Austin in mind currently)

Physics news on Phys.org
If your plan is to get a Ph.D in physics, then don't do a bachelor's degree in engineering (I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's easier to avoid switching fields).

School matters in the sense that if you want to get a Ph.D, you should have good access to undergraduate research and whatever classes you need. It doesn't hurt to have professors who are famous in the field, either (only if they can attest to your research potential, though!).

Sorry, I neglected to add that the idea of double majoring in physics and engineering. While the above advice still applies, I'd think that some kind of engineering expertise would be useful in this field. However, if this isn't true I'm not at all worried about it.

Related to Need help setting a career path for the Space industry

1. What qualifications do I need to work in the space industry?

To work in the space industry, you will typically need a degree in a relevant field such as aerospace engineering, astrophysics, or space science. Some positions may also require a graduate degree or specialized training in a specific area.

2. How can I gain relevant experience for a career in the space industry?

You can gain relevant experience by participating in internships or co-op programs with companies or organizations in the space industry. You can also gain experience through research projects, volunteer work, or extracurricular activities related to space exploration.

3. Are there specific skills that are necessary for a career in the space industry?

Some key skills that are important for a career in the space industry include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, having knowledge of coding, computer programming, and data analysis can be beneficial.

4. What are the different career paths within the space industry?

There are various career paths within the space industry, including engineering, research and development, operations, management, and administration. Within these broad categories, there are also many specialized roles such as spacecraft design, satellite communications, mission planning, and astronaut training.

5. How can I stay updated on advancements and opportunities in the space industry?

To stay updated on advancements and opportunities in the space industry, you can follow industry news and publications, attend conferences and events, and network with professionals in the field. You can also join professional organizations related to the space industry and follow companies and organizations on social media.