Need advice on school for physics

In summary, the individual is a college student who is considering transferring from Clemson to College of Charleston for non-academic reasons. They are concerned about the strength of CofC's physics program compared to Clemson's and are also considering trying to get into Clemson's mechanical engineering program instead. They are seeking advice on the potential transfer and the relevance of a physics degree for an architecture master's program.
memeeef
Hello! I'm a college student entering my second year. Last year I studied at Clemson. I'm somewhat set on getting a physics bachelors and then an architecture masters. This is a tentative plan made because of what I want to learn and not because I know it will get me a good job (I don't know much about the job market)
The issue here is this: I want to transfer to College of Charleston (for non-academic reasons), but I don't know if I'm making a huge mistake academically -- I haven't found any reputable source comparing the two schools' physics programs.
If anyone could give me a comparison of the two (are they in the same ballpark? Is CofC's program a joke?) that would be very helpful!
OH also: I might try to get into Clemson's mechanical engineering major (because it seems more relevant to architecture and sounds more employable).
Tldr want to transfer to CofC but don't want to go to a school with a wayyy weaker Phys program.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just the act of transferring without a good reason will be suspect on your resume ie something you'll have to explain. Also you may lose credits in the transfer especially if the new school is more highly rated.

I would hope it's not because of a relationship issue that is almost always a bad idea to transfer unless you're married.

memeeef said:
Hello! I'm a college student entering my second year. Last year I studied at Clemson. I'm somewhat set on getting a physics bachelors and then an architecture masters. This is a tentative plan made because of what I want to learn and not because I know it will get me a good job (I don't know much about the job market)

The issue here is this: I want to transfer to College of Charleston (for non-academic reasons), but I don't know if I'm making a huge mistake academically -- I haven't found any reputable source comparing the two schools' physics programs.

If anyone could give me a comparison of the two (are they in the same ballpark? Is CofC's program a joke?) that would be very helpful!

OH also: I might try to get into Clemson's mechanical engineering major (because it seems more relevant to architecture and sounds more employable).

Tldr want to transfer to CofC but don't want to go to a school with a wayyy weaker Phys program.

Thanks!
I agree if you don't have a good reason to transfer you maybe better off just staying where you are. Definitely if it is even remotely dealing with a girl, I love the ladies but they can be a huge distraction. I seen this guy transfer to another school for a girl that broke up with him like a month or two after school started. He had a full ride and soccer scholarship at his previous school, he ended up dropping out altogether after that situation

I'm slightly acquainted with both schools, being in the same general geographic area myself. CofC has more of a "small liberal arts college" atmosphere versus Clemson's "big football university" atmosphere. Nevertheless, CofC has a pretty good size physics/astronomy department, as you can see on their Web site. I count about fifteen assistant/associate/full professors (omitting "mere" instructors and emeritus profs). They have a fair amount of research going. Their strengths seem to be in astrophysics, materials science, biophysics/neurophysics, and meteorology. I wouldn't consider them "wayyy weaker" than Clemson.

(Probably irrelevant personal story... In spring 1987 I went to a conference at CofC and wandered around the physics department a bit. I found a prof in his office and talked with him a while. Turned out he was one of he astrophysics guys. I mentioned that I had done my Ph.D. work on a neutrino experiment at Fermilab, and he said something like, "oh, you know that supernova that's been in the news lately [Supernova SN 1987A]? Someone just announced that they've observed neutrinos coming from it!" That was how I found out about it, in the days before the Internet.)

Have you investigated what architecture master's programs expect from incoming students? That might make a difference as far as a physics versus mechanical engineering B.S. is concerned. I don't know anything about architecture programs so I can't address that.

As a scientist, my advice would be to thoroughly research and compare the physics programs at both Clemson and College of Charleston before making a decision. Look into the faculty, course offerings, research opportunities, and any other factors that are important to you in a physics program. You can also reach out to current students or alumni from both schools to get their perspectives and experiences. Additionally, consider talking to an academic advisor or career counselor for guidance on how your chosen path of physics and architecture may align with potential job opportunities and the current job market. Ultimately, it's important to choose a school and program that will provide you with a strong education and set you up for success in your future career goals.

Related to Need advice on school for physics

1. What kind of school should I attend for a degree in physics?

There are many options for schools that offer degrees in physics, including universities, community colleges, and technical schools. It is important to research each school's curriculum, faculty, and resources to determine which one will best suit your academic and career goals.

2. What courses should I take to prepare for a degree in physics?

To prepare for a degree in physics, you should take courses in mathematics, such as calculus and algebra, as well as courses in science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It is also beneficial to take courses in computer science and programming, as these skills are becoming increasingly important in the field of physics.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available for a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to many career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government agencies, and private companies. It can also open doors to careers in engineering, finance, data analysis, and technology. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, or medical physics.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for success in physics?

In addition to a strong understanding of mathematics and science, successful physicists possess critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a curiosity about the natural world. They must also be detail-oriented, possess strong analytical skills, and be able to work independently as well as collaboratively with others.

5. How can I make the most of my time in school for physics?

To make the most of your time in school for physics, it is important to take advantage of opportunities for hands-on experience, such as research projects and internships. You should also seek out mentors and build relationships with professors and peers in the field. Additionally, staying organized and managing your time effectively will help you succeed in your coursework and prepare you for a career in physics.