What Should We Name Our Sci-Fi Inspired Band for a $200 Prize?

• Thread starter Caution Robot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Band Sci-fi
Misc:The BannedSilly HatsTaco TuesdayNaked SingularityJust having fun here. :biggrin:In summary, a band is looking for a name and is holding a contest with a $200 prize for the chosen name. The band is inspired by sci-fi books, nature, astronomy, movies, dreams, and quantum physicist David Bohm. Some potential names suggested are "The Milliway's Cantina Band," "The Issacs," "Hal 9000 and the Heartbreakers," "Nuclear Whistles," and "The 1.21 "Jigga"Watt Electric Revolution." Other suggestions include "The Plutons," "The Johnny
I woke up this morning thinking about

The Quantum Car Mechanics

Maybe because I've had lots of cars that seemed to be a superposition of dead and alive. I dreaded starting them.

Physics news on Phys.org
spooky action at a distance

Just off the top of my head...

Trek themed:
Spock and the IDICs
Infinite Diversity
Undiscovered Country
Prime Directive

Adams themed:
Improbability Factor
Somebody Elses Problems
Dent Prefecture
Hurting Diodes (emo maybe.. lol)

Asimov themed:
Psychohistory
Calvin and the Positrons
Millennium Men

Dr Who themed:
Police Box
The Dalektitians
Bigger on the Inside

Science themed:
MC Cubed
Matter of the Dark
Wimps in Space
Event Horizontals
Schrödinger's Cat

Jimmy Snyder said:
Jimmy is a nice name.

Jimmy is a nice name. It might be confused with "Jimmy Eat World", so perhaps "Jimmy Eat Many Worlds", or "Jimmy Eat Universal Wave Function", could work.

chhitiz said:
spooky action at a distance

Or just Spooky Action.

Holo-Band (after the Holographic Principle)

The Wave's, we interfere with ourselves.

Laser BattleAxe Eye Surgery

lisab said:
One Stone.

(translate it to German :smile:)

Ahha! I never knew that. My last name is Ziegler, but seriously the only German word I know is "NINE!" and that's because it's also a number.

physics girl phd said:
I woke up this morning thinking about

The Quantum Car Mechanics

Maybe because I've had lots of cars that seemed to be a superposition of dead and alive. I dreaded starting them.

:biggrin: At last...somebody with car humor around here. Anyway, that's an awesome name.

Antiband. We annihilate the battle of the bands. Why? Cuz we're awesome.

Certainly Uncertain. Where are we again?

Caution Robot said:
We really need help naming our band, I just found this forum and it seems like an excellent place to try, so a little contest:

If we choose a name you come up with you will receive $200 usd by paypal.

The ideal name should grab people's attention.

If it helps: we’re inspired by sci-fi books, nature, astronomy, movies, dreams, even quantum physicist David Bohm has inspired one of the songs we wrote.

Here’s a link to a short sampler on YouTube:

Please PM or post your entries. Multi-forum contest, enter as often as you want.

Contest ends May 25 when we send the music off to a mastering engineer.

Thanks for playing and good luck...

"The Pies"

(pi - geddit)

Can you paypal my $200 please?

Last edited by a moderator:
bonker said:
"The Pies"

(pi - geddit)

Can you paypal my $200 please?

You sir must be bonkers!

i always wanted a band named "garden of mutants". it was the title of an article in a "better homes and gardens" mag.

Resonance Peak, The Blue Marble(s), Chaos Dynamics, Nullspace, Unstable Equilibrium or Transit Orbit(s).

Cool sampler too, good luck with the project!

FrancisZ said:
Ahha! I never knew that. My last name is Ziegler, but seriously the only German word I know is "NINE!" and that's because it's also a number.

hmm Neun?

How about "Red Marble"? A combination of Blue Marble and Red Planet.

Along a related line: you can't choose "Johnny Astro and the Big Bang." I just found out we have a local band by this name after http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmLMrMdIy5c" (with Big Bang added to make sure people know they are a group, not a solo artist):

Pretty sure they had the name before The Big Bang Theory sitcom based on their timeline. One of their songs is "Mathematics"... and I found out about them because they won some local Battle of the Bands, and will be opening for "Better for Ezra" at one of our big open summer concerts downtown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Euler Wave and the Harmonics

How about just.. "Valence."

1MileCrash said:
How about just.. "Valence."

Hah! I get it!:biggrin:

carthage

chhitiz said:
carthage

Carthage should be destroyed.

DaveC426913 said:
Carthage should be destroyed.
:smile: haha! :wink:

actually, i had no idea cathage was a real ancient civilization. carthage i was referring to is in a story by asimov- one of his best i must say -the dead past.