Mutilple beam reflection question in Fabry-Perot cavity

In summary, the equation you have is valid, but the series used to calculate the value of the E amplitude cannot continue indefinitely.
anthony27149

Homework Statement

Just having some trouble with a question about Fabry-Perot intereferometers. Here's the question:

a) Consider a beam of light undergoing multiple reflections in a Fabry-Perot cavity between two surfaces, both with reflectance R, and with no absorption.

Homework Equations

5CCQIjE.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So my problem is incorporating N into my final answer. I've derived a general equation of the electric amplitude of the reflected waves inside the cavity (as shown in this diagram), which I found to be:

EN = A·τ·ρ'N·ei(ωt-Nδ),

where ρ is the Fresnel reflection coefficient and τ is the transmission coefficient [Not sure if the equation is entirely correct]

And by geometric series:

Ec = A·τ·ei·ω·t/(1-sqrt(R)·e-iδ)

Using a power density function for both inside the cavity Sc and the original beam S:

Sc = 1/2·nf·c·ε(Ec*·Ec),

where E* is a complex conjugate

S = 1/2·n·c·ε·A2

I get: Sc/S = (nf·τ2 )/(n·(1-sqrt(R))2 ·(1+C·sin2 (δ/2))),

where C is 4·sqrt(R)/(1-sqrt(R))2

So, as you can see, this ratio doesn't have the number of reflections N, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
anthony27149 said:

Homework Statement

Just having some trouble with a question about Fabry-Perot intereferometers. Here's the question:

a) Consider a beam of light undergoing multiple reflections in a Fabry-Perot cavity between two surfaces, both with reflectance R, and with no absorption.

Homework Equations

5CCQIjE.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So my problem is incorporating N into my final answer. I've derived a general equation of the electric amplitude of the reflected waves inside the cavity (as shown in this diagram), which I found to be:

EN = A·τ·ρ'N·ei(ωt-Nδ),

where ρ is the Fresnel reflection coefficient and τ is the transmission coefficient [Not sure if the equation is entirely correct]

And by geometric series:

Ec = A·τ·ei·ω·t/(1-sqrt(R)·e-iδ)

Using a power density function for both inside the cavity Sc and the original beam S:

Sc = 1/2·nf·c·ε(Ec*·Ec),

where E* is a complex conjugate

S = 1/2·n·c·ε·A2

I get: Sc/S = (nf·τ2 )/(n·(1-sqrt(R))2 ·(1+C·sin2 (δ/2))),

where C is 4·sqrt(R)/(1-sqrt(R))2

So, as you can see, this ratio doesn't have the number of reflections N, and I'm not sure where to go from here.
The (sum of the ) geometric series that you (correctly) used assumes an infinite number of reflections, of which the E amplitude for the Nth reflection contributing to the sum gets smaller and smaller. The derivation for this can also be found in the Optics Textbook by Hecht and Zajac if you wish to check your algebra.

Related to Mutilple beam reflection question in Fabry-Perot cavity

1. What is a Fabry-Perot cavity?

A Fabry-Perot cavity is an optical resonator made up of two parallel mirrors, typically with high reflectivity, separated by a small distance. It is commonly used in laser systems and other optical devices to enhance the intensity of light by multiple reflections between the mirrors.

2. How does multiple beam reflection occur in a Fabry-Perot cavity?

Multiple beam reflection occurs in a Fabry-Perot cavity when a light beam enters the cavity and is reflected back and forth between the two mirrors. Each time the beam is reflected, a portion of it exits the cavity, while the rest continues to reflect and interfere constructively with the incoming beam.

3. What is the purpose of using a Fabry-Perot cavity in optical devices?

The purpose of using a Fabry-Perot cavity in optical devices is to enhance the intensity of light through multiple reflections. This can be useful in lasers, where a higher intensity of light can lead to a more powerful and focused beam, as well as in other optical devices where a stronger signal or higher resolution is desired.

4. What factors affect the performance of a Fabry-Perot cavity?

The performance of a Fabry-Perot cavity can be affected by several factors, including the reflectivity of the mirrors, the distance between the mirrors, and the wavelength of the light being used. Other factors such as the alignment and stability of the cavity and the quality of the mirrors can also play a role in its performance.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Fabry-Perot cavities?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of Fabry-Perot cavities. These include laser systems, optical filters, spectrometers, and interferometers. They can also be used in telecommunications, astronomy, and other fields where precise control and manipulation of light is necessary.