Calculating Refractive Index Using Fabry-Perot Interferometer

In summary, a Fabry-Perot interferometer with spacing d = 2 cm between the glass plates has a wavelength of 5 × 10^−7 m in the interfering beams. As air is pumped out of the gap between the plates, the number of wavelengths in the distance 2d decreases by 23, leading to the equation m λ/n = (m - 23) λ/1 = 2d. Solving for n, the index of refraction of the air initially in the interferometer is found to be 1 + 23λ/2d. This value agrees with the index of refraction of air at STP and air at 0 degrees Celsius and 1 atmosphere.
HotMintea

Homework Statement

A Fabry-Perot interferometer has spacing d = 2 cm between the glass plates, causing the direct and doubly reflected beams to interfere. As air is pumped out of the gap between the plates, the beams go through 23 cycles of constructive-destructive-constructive interference. If the wavelength of the light in the interfering beams is 5 × 10^−7 m, determine the index of refraction of the air initially in the interferometer.

Homework Equations

(I think) If constructive interference is occurring, 2d = mλ/n, for wave length λ, refractive index n and some integer m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot figure out how to incorporate the following part in the equation: "As air is pumped out of the gap between the plates, the beams go through 23 cycles of constructive-destructive-constructive interference."

Physics news on Phys.org
HotMintea said:
I cannot figure out how to incorporate the following part in the equation: "As air is pumped out of the gap between the plates, the beams go through 23 cycles of constructive-destructive-constructive interference."

It means that m changes by 23.

Can you say which it did? Did m increase? or Did m decrease ??

Also, assuming that virtually all of the air was pumped out, what is the index of refraction for a vacuum ?

SammyS said:
It means that m changes by 23.

Can you say which it did? Did m increase? or Did m decrease ??

Since wavelength gets longer as the air gets thinner, I think the number of wavelengths in the distance 2d will decrease as the air gets pumped out.

SammyS said:
Also, assuming that virtually all of the air was pumped out, what is the index of refraction for a vacuum ?

The index of refraction in vacuum is defined to be 1.

I have: m λ/n = (m - 23) λ/1 = 2d. The left side says integer m times the contracted wavelength λ/n. The middle says (m - 23) times full length λ/1. The right side is twice the gap.

Solving the left and middle, I get m = (2d + 23λ)/λ. Substitute it for m in the left and solving the left and right, I get n = 1 + 23λ/2d.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
What do you get for a numerical answer for n-1? (Just out of curiosity .)

Excellent !

Related to Calculating Refractive Index Using Fabry-Perot Interferometer

1. What is a Fabry-Perot interferometer?

A Fabry-Perot interferometer is an optical instrument that uses the principle of interference to measure the wavelengths of light. It consists of two parallel mirrors separated by a small distance, called the etalon, which allows light to pass through and creates a series of constructive and destructive interference patterns.

2. How does a Fabry-Perot interferometer work?

The light enters the Fabry-Perot interferometer and is reflected multiple times between the two mirrors, causing interference patterns to form. The interference patterns are then detected by a photodetector, which converts them into electrical signals that can be analyzed to determine the wavelengths of light.

3. What are the applications of a Fabry-Perot interferometer?

Fabry-Perot interferometers have a wide range of applications in fields such as spectroscopy, telecommunications, and astronomy. They are commonly used to measure the wavelengths of light, determine the refractive index of materials, and study the properties of gases and liquids.

4. What are the advantages of using a Fabry-Perot interferometer?

One of the main advantages of using a Fabry-Perot interferometer is its high spectral resolution, which allows for precise measurement of the wavelengths of light. It is also a relatively simple and compact instrument, making it suitable for a variety of experimental setups.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Fabry-Perot interferometer?

One limitation of a Fabry-Perot interferometer is that it can only measure a narrow range of wavelengths at a time, so it may not be suitable for applications that require a broad spectrum of light. Additionally, it is sensitive to environmental factors such as temperature and vibrations, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements.