Music I Can't Tolerate: Pet Peeves Revealed

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, Dan hates anything with a dominant quarter note bass drum. It makes him feel like a galley slave. He also doesn't enjoy ska music, which is similar to reggae but without the inclusion of "goodnature." He thinks the Barney song or Baby Shark are good, but does not enjoy modern praise songs. Punk did the same in 1975, rock music played and sung very badly and image came first. Love the soap love the single right? No! If the music is awful then it is still crap right?
Pop music.
Rap music. I like some songs, all from the 1990s.
Modern country. :headbang:
Dubstep.
Any sort of death/black metal.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Astronuc and Freyja
Science news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn said:
Very good music for weight lifting though
And believe it or not, I like techno to fall asleep.
(Sheep counting by letting count!)

• Love
  • Wow
Likes DennisN, pinball1970 and weirdoguy
Rap / hip hop
Autotune
Death metal
Modern country

I like almost anything else...

Likes Astronuc and Freyja

There’s a follow-on video where he attempts to learn/appreciate contemporary Christian rock that’s also pretty interesting.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
malawi_glenn said:
Very good music for weight lifting though
Nah bro, I find nothing inspiring on it whatsoever. Plus weightlifting should be consciously done, not out of just anger. That genre simply enrages me blindly. Almost as much as that porsche without breaks garbage :H

Likes pinball1970
Freyja said:
Plus weightlifting should be consciously done, not out of just anger
Lifting iron is my anger management

Likes PhDeezNutz, topsquark, pinball1970 and 1 other person
malawi_glenn said:
Lifting iron is my anger management
Fair enough, just be careful not to tear anything up. Been there, done that, it sucks royally. But I understand your point.

Freyja said:
Fair enough, just be careful not to tear anything up. Been there, done that, it sucks royally. But I understand your point.
I have lifted weights for more than 20 years. My max deadlift is 250 kg. I am careful and only use light weights these days :)

• Care
  • Wow
Likes Astronuc, topsquark, pinball1970 and 1 other person
malawi_glenn said:
I have lifted weights for more than 20 years. My max deadlift is 250 kg. I am careful and only use light weights these days
I should, at some point, go back to the gym. But for a reason or another I just can't find either the motivation, the time, or the mood :H

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
Oh yeah. And any "music" played in a vehicle whose bass can be heard outside the vehicle. No need to weaponize music.

• Love
Likes symbolipoint, pinball1970 and dlgoff
DaveC426913 said:
No need to weaponize music.
Everybody polka!

Likes difalcojr
malawi_glenn said:
I have lifted weights for more than 20 years. My max deadlift is 250 kg. I am careful and only use light weights these days :)
Impressive. My max deadlift is 251kg.

• Love
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970 and malawi_glenn
Freyja said:
masterpieces like The Rime of the Ancient Mariner or Freewheel Burning
Then the spell starts to break
The albatross falls from his neck
Sinks down like lead into the sea
Then down in falls comes the rain!

Look before you, leap has never been the way we keep, our road is free
Charging to the top and never give in, never stops the way to be
Hold on to the lead with all your will and concede, you'll find there's life
With victory on high!

• Love
Likes Freyja
Alone, alone, all, all alone,
Alone on a wide wide sea!
And never a saint took pity on
My soul in agony.

-Me, when listening to rap music, or just about anything from the Gaither Vocal Band

malawi_glenn said:
Then the spell starts to break
The albatross falls from his neck
Sinks down like lead into the sea
Then down in falls comes the rain!

Look before you, leap has never been the way we keep, our road is free
Charging to the top and never give in, never stops the way to be
Hold on to the lead with all your will and concede, you'll find there's life
With victory on high!
Epic songs, aren’t they? I had a funny? (or not lol) story about that Judas song. It cost me literally shy of $400 on a speeding ticket.

Long story short, it was a Sunday morning on an empty highway; everybody was in Church, and I was having a very rare great mood after a serious traumatic experience and a period of deep sadness. Took my old 86 NYorker (first car I ever had, loved everything about it) for a ride, it was a gorgeous day and I was feeling on top of the world listening to Freewheel Burning. Hauling my happy ass through the hwy, I missed the reduced speed sign as I was entering town limits. Sure enough, the cop car was right there, pulled me over and of course got me a ticket and a citation to go to Court. So to Court I went.

The Judge was this elderly gentleman, all dressed up in his Judge garb, serious and composed as you’d expect him to be. So he reads the charges and asks me how I’d plead, I told him: “Guilty as a kid caught red handed in the cookie jar, Your Honor”. Told him I wasn’t there to get away from it, but more so to ask the Court if I could pay the ticket in a few installments, since I knew it was going to be a salty matter. He asked me what happened, and I told him the whole truth: that I had been going through a very trying period in my personal life, and that day was a very bright one for some reason, plus Judas Priest helped to put me in such good mood. He stops for a second, looks at me and goes, with this charming look of nostalgia: “Ahhhh, Judas Priest, that explains everything”. I was dumbfounded, and asked him: “Do you really know Judas Priest, Your Honor?” And he goes: “Well, believe it or not, I do!” And of course all of us in his Court started laughing 😂

I asked to let me pay the ticket in 4 installments of $100 each, and he even said: “Look, just in case, I’m going to order installments of $75, so you don’t get very overwhelmed; if you can pay more, good for you, you finish paying earlier; but if you can’t, you can do 75 at a time”.

God bless his heart! ❤️

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Judas Priest lives on in Japan, mostly in the guitar playing, but there is a vid of Halford singing along with Babymetal. Japan has taken the whole thing to the nth degree but the singing tends to be the weakness.

It was my impression that JP popularized metal lead guitar duets with the guitars playing harmony but this appears to have been wrong. So who did that?

My father used to say, "Judas Priest!" when he was annoyed. That is a "polite" alternative to "Jesus Christ!" which was (is?) swearing, the way my dad was raised.

I had a co-worker who actually said "jeepers!" I think that is an even more oblique reference, "JP" to "jee pee" to "jeepers."

Likes Astronuc
gmax137 said:
My father used to say, "Judas Priest!" when he was annoyed. That is a "polite" alternative to "Jesus Christ!" which was (is?) swearing, the way my dad was raised.

I had a co-worker who actually said "jeepers!" I think that is an even more oblique reference, "JP" to "jee pee" to "jeepers."
"jeepers" is a corruption of the name "Jesus" as well.

Where "jeepers creepers" comes from is beyond me.

-Dan

Freyja said:
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Fits beautifully to Ghost Riders In The Sky.

You can even add
Yippee-aye-ay
Yippee-aye-aoh
I shot the al-ba-tros
s

Hornbein said:
Judas Priest lives on in Japan, mostly in the guitar playing, but there is a vid of Halford singing along with Babymetal. Japan has taken the whole thing to the nth degree but the singing tends to be the weakness.

It was my impression that JP popularized metal lead guitar duets with the guitars playing harmony but this appears to have been wrong. So who did that?
The Eagles did that on Hotel California, Thin Lizzy did a lot of guitar duets also. The Alman brothers? Jessica has two in harmony I think.
Golden slumbers, The Beatles has John Paul George taking a solo at the end.

Likes BillTre
Freyja said:
Epic songs, aren’t they? I had a funny? (or not lol) story about that Judas song. It cost me literally shy of $400 on a speeding ticket.

Long story short, it was a Sunday morning on an empty highway; everybody was in Church, and I was having a very rare great mood after a serious traumatic experience and a period of deep sadness. Took my old 86 NYorker (first car I ever had, loved everything about it) for a ride, it was a gorgeous day and I was feeling on top of the world listening to Freewheel Burning. Hauling my happy ass through the hwy, I missed the reduced speed sign as I was entering town limits. Sure enough, the cop car was right there, pulled me over and of course got me a ticket and a citation to go to Court. So to Court I went.

The Judge was this elderly gentleman, all dressed up in his Judge garb, serious and composed as you’d expect him to be. So he reads the charges and asks me how I’d plead, I told him: “Guilty as a kid caught red handed in the cookie jar, Your Honor”. Told him I wasn’t there to get away from it, but more so to ask the Court if I could pay the ticket in a few installments, since I knew it was going to be a salty matter. He asked me what happened, and I told him the whole truth: that I had been going through a very trying period in my personal life, and that day was a very bright one for some reason, plus Judas Priest helped to put me in such good mood. He stops for a second, looks at me and goes, with this charming look of nostalgia: “Ahhhh, Judas Priest, that explains everything”. I was dumbfounded, and asked him: “Do you really know Judas Priest, Your Honor?” And he goes: “Well, believe it or not, I do!” And of course all of us in his Court started laughing 😂

I asked to let me pay the ticket in 4 installments of $100 each, and he even said: “Look, just in case, I’m going to order installments of $75, so you don’t get very overwhelmed; if you can pay more, good for you, you finish paying earlier; but if you can’t, you can do 75 at a time”.

God bless his heart! ❤️
There are a few Judas Priest I like, I stick them firmly in metal/British metal.
Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, classic rock, followed by metal.
Motorhead, JP, UFO, Saxon.
American rock comes after this which puts the thread back on track with music I hate.
Guns & Roses, Poison, Ratt, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue and other cr4p my brain has forced me to forget.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc and Freyja
pinball1970 said:
There are a few Judas Priest I like, I stick them firmly in metal/British metal.
Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, classic rock, followed by metal.
Motorhead, JP, UFO, Saxon.
American rock comes after this which puts the thread back on track with music I hate.
Guns & Roses, Poison, Ratt, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue and other cr4p my brain has forced me to forget.
Another metal band I loved was Accept, great German band! Ahhh those were the days. I honestly haven't followed any of them anymore, so no idea what they are up to nowadays. Life happened, new companies, newfound solitude through the years, and then Bach, my faithful constant ever since childhood, Who of course trumps everything and everybody else by a landslide. When metalheads say the Man was totally metal it annoys the headlights out of me. I mean, duh, there isn't anything heavier or more metal than the majesty of a pipe organ, so I guess they might be right to some point. Problem is, that's not the reason for the comparison. That the Man did the most stunningly, perfect and excellent Music in history is out of the question, and so is the fact that metal as a whole genre could only wish to be worth of clipping Bach's toenails. One cannot take some of His sublime bars, desecrate the sh...t out of them by mindless shredding and noise, without concern for harmony whatsoever, and compare it to the Master :mad::mad:

As for American rock, I couldn't agree more. Trailer park music. I love this country to death for many reasons, but its popular music leaves a lot to be desired.

Likes pinball1970
Following on from another discussion regarding John Cage, led me to look into his work a little more.

I very rarely hear this sort of thing on the radio, TV or anywhere really.

I always referred to this kind of modern classical music as “plink plonk.”

I do not hate it but given enough air time..

pinball1970 said:
Then there is the electronic version, which I think of as "bloop bleep."

pinball1970 said:
Well, it took 1:40 (about a third) of that to change my mind. Hip hop is no longer at the very bottom of my list.

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Following on from another discussion regarding John Cage, led me to look into his work a little more.

I very rarely hear this sort of thing on the radio, TV or anywhere really.

I do not hate it but given enough air time..

What about these?

Or this John Cage piece?

BWV said:
What about these?

Or this John Cage piece?

So he is also the guy who stuck stuff in the piano? Yep hate that.

BWV said:
What about these?

Or this John Cage piece?

Ligeti and Carter? There is more structure than Cage (who I have finally decided I hate with no ambiguity)
It is fast on the whole, the chords make no sense (to me) and I think of a thriller movie where a woman is running through the woods at night escaping from a lunatic.
Some of the runs are clever (and I would love to have reading skills and techniques to be able to play like that on the piano) but the music on the whole fills me with a sense of dread and anxiety.

Likes BWV
I really loathe this one.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Huh. I love it. Did a lap around the block to hear it when it came on the radio.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Hornbein said:
I really loathe this one.

I should hate this but I don't. EDIT: I should add that SAW were the worst thing to ever happen in pop music. This is them BUT I do like this track. Anyway I will post some garbage to make up for it.

Last edited:
1987, probably one of the worst years in pop music history. Forget learning to play, music structure, creativity, lyrics. You can make garbage like this and because it's 1987 people will like it.

If you can find a worst track than this then I will take my hat off.
To call this talentless garbage gives refuse with low ability a bad name. It is bad. Ghastly.

The lovely Sonia

Last edited:
Paul Simon. Yes, the creator of that beautiful music from the music of the 60s and 70s disappeared in the abyss of nothingness that was the mid 80s. This is an annoying tune/ arrangement, ridiculous backwards bass (spot it) and stupid video. Cannot stand it.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42