Moving wedge, conceptual problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum force needed to move a wedge up a slope with given values for mass and coefficient of static friction. The solution involves using the forces on a small block to find its acceleration, and considering the wedge's acceleration as a non-inertial reference frame. This results in a fictitious force that helps explain how the wedge can move the block upward.
hermes1908

Homework Statement

For general values of m, M, theta, mu (coefficient of static fric) find the minimum force you need to apply to the wedge so that it just begins moving up the slope.

Picture

(little m represents mass on wedge, M is mass of wedge.)

http://ompldr.org/vYmxraA

Homework Equations

I know the idea is to use the forces on the small block to find its acceleration then multiply this by the mass of the wedge and the mass of the block (I do, infact have the solution, I just don't understand it) but I am having trouble understanding how the force applied to the wedge causes the block to move upward, according to the given force diagram (below) none of the forces (normal, gravity, friction) have components in the upward direction of the slope. If anyone could explain this to me I would greatly appreciate it.

http://ompldr.org/vYmxrYg

The Attempt at a Solution

See above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
As an object(in this case the wedge), moves under the influence of a force, it accelerates, making it, a non-inertial reference frame.
Therefore, in the frame of reference of the box, it[the box] will experience an inertial force("fictitious force"), in the direction opposite to the application of the force on the wedge, valued at: [itex] F' = -ma [/itex], Where a is the acceleration of the wedge.
I hope that helps,
Daniel

Thanks, I've been struggling with this problem for quite a while.

Related to Moving wedge, conceptual problem

1. What is a moving wedge?

A moving wedge is a simple machine that consists of a triangular-shaped object with a sharp edge and is used to lift or move heavy objects by applying a small force over a large distance.

2. How does a moving wedge work?

A moving wedge works by applying a small force over a large distance to create a larger output force over a smaller distance. This is achieved through the principle of mechanical advantage, which states that a force can be multiplied by using a simple machine.

3. What are some examples of a moving wedge?

Examples of a moving wedge include knives, axes, scissors, and chisels. These objects use a wedge shape to cut or split materials by applying a small force over a large distance.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the wedge and its mechanical advantage?

The mechanical advantage of a moving wedge is directly proportional to the angle of the wedge. A steeper angle will result in a higher mechanical advantage, meaning that a smaller force will be needed to move or lift a heavier object.

5. Can a moving wedge be used to create perpetual motion?

No, a moving wedge cannot be used to create perpetual motion. While it can be used to multiply force, it still follows the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.